Saab Link Forums banner

more power please : )

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  sleet 
#1 · (Edited)
want some opinions here. basically, to try to make this short, i want more power. right now im at about 320hp 360 lb ft and i want more. it never ends. but anyways im thinking of doing more and getting it up to about 400 hp? i most definatly want to hit 300whp thats for sure. so heres my thing i want from you guys. without spending a ton which way should i go about this. should i throw in some forged 2.0 pistons or get crank rods and 2.3 forged pistons to stroke my 2.0? i know the extra .3 would add more power but financially dont think i can do it. so if i keep it 2.0 and throw some forged ones in what else should i look into doing. oh and im not really looking to get a whole new motor either. wanna keep whats in already. gt3071r yes but undecided which hosuing and what not right now as this is just the very early part and without even doing my research just yet. i will be talking to my tuner soon about what id like to do but i figured to ask here as well. so mind you im asking this without doing much homework on what i exactly want and asking to maybe help steer me in the right direction.

#3 ·
yeah i know its bad. i cant help myself. i look at it this way. right now in my life yeah of course its not the smartest and best thing to do but honestly this might be the only time i ever get to do this kind of thing. so its either now or never basically.

#6 ·
You don't need forged pistons for 400bhp, people run on the stock ones all day long with t5 pistons.

With the 2.0 motor, the gt3071 .64ar would be the best choice in my opinion, you would have full boost by about 3500rpm in third gear and 3300rpm or so in 4th gear. The 2.3 motor would give you about 300-500rpm earlier spool, but some now feel that it hits too early with the .64ar and the 2.0 motor might be a better choice for the gt3071 .64ar.

All you would need is the turbo, spacer from Nick, oil line, modded dp and a 2.75" rubber elbow to make the turn on the inlet, these will not colapse like the silicone elbows. Then the 60# siemans injectors and the sw to run it.
I made my stock coolant line work on my set-up, just tweek them with a socket extension and they can be made to work.

If you put in the enem cams down the road, that would add another 50whp or so...

John

#8 ·
how much are you looking to spend. all of these ideas could be very expensive depending upon your budget. Also you said you currently have 320hp but have the goal of 300hp? confused unless the 320 is crank and you are experiencing a decent bit of loss to the wheels.

and def stock up on extra trannies you will need them.

#9 · (Edited)
yes now i have about 320 (279whp) crank hp and im looking to get up to about 400+crank hp so that means id like to hit around 350whp. im pretty much ruling out the 2.3 option right now. i know people run stock pistons up to this amount but its really close to the limit and honestly i first started thinking of throwing some money out to do my headgasket and check and probably replace the timing chain for preventive reasons and more worry free i guess and since i would be doing that i figured this would be the best and only time i will be able to do this stuff so why not go the extra mile and throw in some forged pistons.
---so john you say if i get the enam camshafts that would gain around 50whp more? so if i do the gt3071r .64 with the 264 camshafts i would be somewhere around 360-400 whp?

#11 · (Edited)
thats a nice gain from the camshafts. this may be the route i take, if i can swing this financially. thanks. gt3071r .64, 2.0 forged pistons, enam camshafts, valve springs may be the route i take.

--- yeah actually going through some numbers, it looks doubtful i will be able to do any of this but i will keep researching and see what i can do. thanks a lot. this at least got me in the right direction if i do end up going through with it.

#18 · (Edited)
Nick posted that, 353whp with stock cams, 406whp with enem cams on his viggen. The 2.0 motor would make almost the same if not a little more whp, but about 30-50wtrq less...

My 2.0 motor made 5whp more than my 2.3 motor, but 30-50wtrq less in wtrq.

Here is the comparison between motors. You can see the peak bhp is almost identical, but there is more torque and the big gain is the 500rpm earlier spool-up of the larger displacement motor.

One factor though is the 2.0 motor was dynod with w/m injection, which gave me a good 30-40wtrq and the 2.3 dyno was without, so the torque numbers would have been a good 30-35wtrq more... So somewhere around 460wtrq sae with 2.3 and w/m injection.
John

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.