Saab Link Forums banner

Weekend wrenching

4K views 86 replies 17 participants last post by  Bullseye 
#1 ·
It's a rotten rainy night, so I decided to start my weekend wrenching a little early.
Project #1.

Nick's 9-5 Aero rear brake upgrade for my Viggen.
Nice kit, easy install. The worst part was you had to trim the dust shields. The rest is pretty straightforward. Hopefully the weather will clear for a little break in work tomorrow. ;)

Before...........

After.............

Project #2 and #3. Front shocks and rear brakes/parking brake on my 03 Ford sport trac. You don't need those pics.

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks good.

I hear this upgrade really improves the confidence while breaking into corners-makes the car feel much more flat.
That's what Nick said.
I always thought the fronts do way too much of the work. After 70K I've used 3 sets of pads and a set of rotors in the front. The second set of rear pads look like brand new.
My right foot is twitching already. :p

#26 ·
I bet they would not find it. They usually grab the wheels at each corner with the weight of the car on them and see if there is any play.

My SPG passed with 2 large holes in the floor and a front fender that is removing itself. You'll be fine.

Also, I must insist that everyone convince Mr Greg Abbott to Autocross the SPG, it should be a great car for it, it begs to be driven hard.

#30 ·
At least I drive my cars for what they're worth :p

The trans on my SPG is ready to "self-drain" any moment, I can feel it (OK, so I can hear it might be more accurate - you get the picture).

Zoom, zoom! Its fun to out drive guys in turbo'd miatas and e46 BMW M3s (and holy crap, look at how bad I'm taking that cone!!! I could fit a Viggen between my car and the apex!)

Seriously, you have the car for it, drive it.

#59 ·
Jameson do some searching for previous Carlisle threads, I think it was Tweek who posted a video of the course, its not very big, I'm sure you could stay in 2nd the whole time.

#64 ·
Make sure you have plenty of air in the tires too ;)

Also, unless you have warmed up your tires and brakes ahead of time, make sure to take the first run easy since you wont get the most grip out of cold tires and brakes. I watched an instructor nearly hit a curb when he overshot a carousel at the autocross school I just went to - cold tired and brakes were the culprit.

#65 ·
Oh yes, I know this from experience. The Hawks and 615's are kind of iffy with no heat in them.

I am wondering what the ideal Koni setup will be. Full firm front and rear, or fill firm in just the rears, a setup that may promote more oversteer and less understeer........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.