Weekend wrenching - Page 4 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 07:56 AM   #61
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Here's some pic linkys.

http://www.scca-susq.com/photogaller...sle/index.html

http://www.scca-susq.com/photogaller...isle/index.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #62
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
If they don't change the course anything under 26 seconds would be fine for my first time. I am glad you get a warm up run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #63
c900 Grognard
Elder

That looks like a good c900 course

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #64
JK
Elder

Make sure you have plenty of air in the tires too

Also, unless you have warmed up your tires and brakes ahead of time, make sure to take the first run easy since you wont get the most grip out of cold tires and brakes. I watched an instructor nearly hit a curb when he overshot a carousel at the autocross school I just went to - cold tired and brakes were the culprit.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #65
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Make sure you have plenty of air in the tires too

Also, unless you have warmed up your tires and brakes ahead of time, make sure to take the first run easy since you wont get the most grip out of cold tires and brakes. I watched an instructor nearly hit a curb when he overshot a carousel at the autocross school I just went to - cold tired and brakes were the culprit.
Oh yes, I know this from experience. The Hawks and 615's are kind of iffy with no heat in them.

I am wondering what the ideal Koni setup will be. Full firm front and rear, or fill firm in just the rears, a setup that may promote more oversteer and less understeer........

Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #66
JK
Elder

Maybe Champ will chime in - I think he did well with firm all the way around. He was getting real wheel lift even with the fronts on full firm when braking into corners, so...
Old 05-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #67

It used to be "flying start". Dunno about this year. So, you get almost a full lap in to warm things up.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #68
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
It used to be "flying start". Dunno about this year. So, you get almost a full lap in to warm things up.
Thats also nice since I have never really launched this car for all its worth out of love for my gearbox.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #69
Elder

You don't really launch hard in autox, more just roll out.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #70
JK
Elder

yeah, usually they start you with run-up space before the timing gate. This reduces the need to doing any clutch dropping burnouts or anything.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #71

Quote:
yeah, usually they start you with run-up space before the timing gate. This reduces the need to doing any clutch dropping burnouts or anything.

Yea. They spoil all the fun.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #72
Elder

Quote:
Nice.

Like I said, I don't have ANY AutoX experience.

When I was in MI, a friend was part of an engineering program. One weekend we put a very well sorted suspension setup on the first Terrible F- which might be better than the Vigg at this point.

They had just built a new school for the engineering dept which was not open yet. It was freshly paved with great bends and turns and changes in elevation. His dept. was working on suspension tuning on a open wheeled race car. One night they got into the unopened school and made a track day out of it.

My friend and I took turns dialing in the new suspension on the "track". It was pretty amazing. The course wound up being about 3/4 of a mile long hitting speeds of about 75-85 at the time.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #73
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Nice.

Like I said, I don't have ANY AutoX experience.
Like I told you on AIM, for your first event, I'd just follow the KISS rule of life. I wouldn't worry too much about the suspension settings unless you have some serious handling issues with your current setup. Drive it as you brought it, aside from putting 35+ lbs of pressure into those Azenis.

Don't overthink it. Just get out there and have fun. Maybe I'll register to run with you in the 'vert. I guess I need to do some shakedown runs tonight to see how it takes to the abuse. Ha...

Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #74
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powar View Post
Like I told you on AIM, for your first event, I'd just follow the KISS rule of life. I wouldn't worry too much about the suspension settings unless you have some serious handling issues with your current setup. Drive it as you brought it, aside from putting 35+ lbs of pressure into those Azenis.

Don't overthink it. Just get out there and have fun. Maybe I'll register to run with you in the 'vert. I guess I need to do some shakedown runs tonight to see how it takes to the abuse. Ha...
Too much body roll with the konis on soft which is my DD setup. I drive it on full firm enough that it shouldn't be too foreign to me.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #75
Elder

If it's a tight course, consider keeping the fronts softer and the rears stiff.

But you are really over thinking this...it's not an F1 race.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #76
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post

Thanks, Topher. I've tried telling him this, but I think it's the nature of the Jameson to worry and overthink.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #77
JK
Elder

Has Jameson posted what times he hopes to have for each run?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #78
Elder

Yes, he said under 26 seconds.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #79
Elder

Quote:
If it's a tight course, consider keeping the fronts softer and the rears stiff.

Its not a matter of over thinking. I am competitive and hard on myself. If I can do some homework to be better prepared, why not? In the end, my goal is to have fun which I will do even if I hit every single cone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powar View Post
Thanks, Topher. I've tried telling him this, but I think it's the nature of the Jameson to worry and overthink.

See above, wouldn't call it worrying. I am excited and looking forward to it. If it was a maze of cones, I might be kind of nervous.
Quote:
Has Jameson posted what times he hopes to have for each run?
Quote:
Yes, he said under 26 seconds.

Yep, I like to have a goal. It makes improvement more tangible with something to work torwards.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #80
JK
Elder

Hahaha.

Here, this might make you feel better (or it will pretty much show you that you cannot blame your performance on your car, at all).

That is from the Autocross that Champ, Adouglas and I (along with some local VW guys) did a few weeks ago. It was super cold out - less than 50 degrees - so it was not idea tire conditions. See how I did in my winter beater with OLD shocks and stock 200,000 mile SPG springs did compared to the other cars.

Its driver, its all driver.

Could I have done better in my car with better tires? Yeah, probably. Could I have done better using the Intergra with like 10" wide Hoosier slicks? I'm sure i could have. Could the guy in the M3 have done better than me? Hell yeah, but he didn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in