FMIC as it should be and 2.5” piping - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #1
ERP
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ERP
FMIC as it should be and 2.5” piping

Thought you would like to see some of the recent upgrades to my Saab. The Spearco intercooler fits perfectly in the Viggen bumper. The intercooler has 2.5” endtank fittings so I finished off the rest of the intake with 2.5” stainless to the throttle body. I measured boost before and after and lag was not increased at all and top end had less fad. I’m very happy with the upgrade.

MP Performance will be selling these upgrades soon.

Eric

1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
Elder

Looking good! And shiny! Wish I had weather like that! I haven't seen the sun since last August. Damn snow...

What's that little breather doing behind your speeparts heat shield?

Everytime I see your car and other viggens I am almost tempted to scrap the new body kit idea and stick with the original viggen kit made FOR A SAAB lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I want to have your baby.

When can I pre-order?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations

Old 01-11-2005, 06:51 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to trexturk
wow.
Thats looking really good.
How close does that throttle body piece come close to the hood?
Old 01-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
Re: FMIC as it should be and 2.5” piping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERP

MP Performance will be selling these upgrades soon.

Eric
wich upgrades do you reffer to? i have seen the TB elbo and have heard of the IC pipe...but the IC its self are you planning on selling?..??

oh and as always yout car is beeaautiful..

rcm..crank case vent..i belive
Old 01-12-2005, 12:27 AM   #6
SAAB Road Master

Did you modify the aluminum bumper piece to allow better flow over the upper IC tubes?

Also, I would reccomend taping off the top end of the intercooler so that none of the air goes "over" it. Based on my data-logs that's been a reasonably effective means of decreasing intake temps.

Adrian~

edit: Here's a pic showing the top of the stock IC so you can see what I mean. If you make the intercooler much thicker or much taller the top tubes will get almost no flow. Also you can see how air can pretty easily go "over" the IC.:

Old 01-12-2005, 05:39 AM   #7
Trollerator
Elder

that looks nice. how does this spearco unit compare in terms of price, core size and flow, to say, the KJ race intercooler or the elkparts huge intercooler?

I ask because I don't know alot about IC's and wonder if dropping a G on an IC for a T7 car would do much or if a more cost effective solution (like I assume this Spearco will be) would be appropriate for an autobox car that probably will not see more than 270 estimated crank HP/stage 3 (until I can save up for a level 10 tranny or something)

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-12-2005, 07:38 AM   #8
Administrator
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to turbosb
Looks beautiful Eric. I am extremely jealous

Kyle
Old 01-12-2005, 07:58 AM   #9
ERP

Tweek – We have fifty cores arriving in the next two weeks or so. Then we just have to fab up the endtanks. Should be ready soon.

Trexturk – There is more room over the throttle body than it appears. The throttle body pipe can be raised up another inch and still fit under the hood. It also helps that I have removed the underhood insulation.

Iwantaviggen – I am referring to all the parts. Intercooler and piping.

Saabtuner – No need to modify the aluminum bumper frame. The intercooler sits flush with the front of the bumper. It is entirely below the aluminum frame. That is what I was referring to when I said “FMIC as it should be”. On coming air cannot flow around the intercooler and all the tubes are exposed to the air flow.

Abduckted – The cores are bar-and-plate style and have a high efficiency of heat transfer and low pressure drop. I gained 2 psi across the rpm range just by upgrading to this intercooler over the Viggen one. The cores are ratted to a bit over 500 hp.

Our intecoolers will be priced a bit below $1000. Lets just say that for $1000 I could fly out to Albany from CO, install it, stay at a hotel, fly back and still come home ahead.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:15 AM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
Quote:
Our intecoolers will be priced a bit below $1000. Lets just say that for $1000 I could fly out to Albany from CO, install it, stay at a hotel, fly back and still come home ahead.
so at the current ticket rates roughly... $50!!! sweet illl take 8 of them.....
Old 01-12-2005, 08:27 AM   #11
ERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricot83
Quote:
Sounds good, but your buying the beer and I'm crashing at your garage.
:P
Old 01-12-2005, 08:30 AM   #12
Elder

Hey you never answered my question!

Old 01-12-2005, 08:37 AM   #13
Elder

need somethin like this for my 9k.....hmmmm

Old 01-12-2005, 09:33 AM   #14
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Excellent job Eric. You guys at MP are really doing it up!!

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Old 01-12-2005, 10:06 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
How much wider is it than the vic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 01-12-2005, 10:11 AM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricot83
Quote:
Sounds good, but your buying the beer and I'm crashing at your garage.
:P
u know u are always welcome as long u bring parts
Old 01-12-2005, 01:40 PM   #17
Administrator
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to turbosb
Hey Eric, I'll buy all the beer you wan AND let you sleep on the futon instead of the garage! :P So when are ya comin?

Kyle
Old 01-18-2005, 01:07 PM   #18

Glad to see these are coming through, but I'm curious about the dimensions and those claimed flow rates..

What's the size of those cores?
Old 01-18-2005, 01:21 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Look at all the bribery going on here.....parts for a place to stay and beer!! what a deal......

Even if the spearco core was the same size as the Viggen you are still looking at a flow rate increase of atleast 3 times or so the effeciency. After having the number confirmed for me the stock Viggen IC is only flowing around 150CFM and most spearco cores flow 500+ CFM or better.

I believe this is probably in line with the core that is being used here.

3.5"Dx7.9"Wx24"H 520HP Max Support 740CFM Flow Rate.

Spearco is a great IC and should give the much needed boost to the NG900 and 9-3 in the Air cooling department.

Old 01-18-2005, 01:44 PM   #20

Steve, you're right about Spearcos! They're great units, but I don't see any units on www.bellintercoolers.com that have those specs that flow anywhere near that much....

I'm reserving judgement until I hear from the MP guys, 'cause I know they're on the ball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in