Polyurethane Bushings ?? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2005, 07:11 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Polyurethane Bushings ??

I think im overdue on upgrading my 95 NG900 to polyurethane bushings! I wanted to ask all of you out there who have upgraded to these bushings already, which ones are the best bang for the buck? I have about $100 or so to spend on these bushings.

Which ones will i benefit from the most?
Where should i purchase them from?

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
Trollerator
Elder

I have the control arm bushings from genuinesaab with the uprated bolts/hardware and they are pretty sweet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-10-2005, 09:13 AM   #3

i know ragtop tiger and a couple of others have polyurethane everything on their cars ha, i hope they can give me some direction?

hey abducted how much did u get them for? can u actually feel the difference, is it more solid? i have the stockers in there right now and i think they are shot!!!

i only have about a $100 to put into these bushings therefore i want to get the most beneficial for what i got!

Old 01-10-2005, 09:23 AM   #4
Trollerator
Elder

I got mine along with the KIC steering rack clamp/brace, so most of the difference was made by the clamp/brace, I would assume. But the car really drives nice, even the mechanics were joyriding around in my car after they pressed the bushings in, , they told me how it felt like a whole new car combined with the rack brace.... every little bit helps with the suspension.

the poly is not as drastic an improvement as say, the rear sway bar, in my opinion, but well worth it nonetheless!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-10-2005, 10:09 AM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Poly transmission mount. Way better shifter feel. Otherwise, you'd be suprised what a new rubber bushing will do for helping things. Poly bushings tend to make the ride "harsh" on 9000 Aero's ... but I don't know if the same is true of the NG900.

I do know the Trans bushing helps ease of driving a lot ... if you have a manual trans anyway. Not Applicable for the auto.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:16 AM   #6

Put VRK (from Scanwest, an Abbott retailer) on about 2 years ago because the front end had become so unstable on braking that I was afraid to drive my kids in it. It was hopping up and down at the front end like a hyper active low rider. Put on the poly control arm bushings and the hydraulic bushings, but not the steering rack clamp and brace or the two point subframe brace. Test drive revealed all instability issues solved. Addition of steering rack clamp and subframe brace, subsequent to the first test drive, may have further improved the front end, but the most drastically noticeable improvement was the use of the uprated bushings.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:36 AM   #7

thats what im talking bout, nice feedback! Saaboheme, do u remeber how much that cost you?

Saab Tuner thanks for the tranny mount suggestion! The Poly Tranny mounts are pretty expensive! Im still contemplating on what im going to do about that, my buddy has an extra new OEM mount laying around but dont know if i should just swap out my old one with a new OEM and spend close to nothing or fork out some cash for the new tranny POLY mount! I might just end up going with a new OEM mount and put the money towards other stuff??????
Old 01-10-2005, 10:43 AM   #8
SAAB Road Master

Poly Trans mount is a bit pricey at around $130-160 depending on if you catch it on sale. (or is it always on sale?) I've no experience with the other bushings, but I can tell you the trans one makes the car much nicer to drive. It's just a lot less effort to match the shifting properly.

The more you upgrade power the more strain you put on the bushings. I have to admit having well over 200 wheel hp I may feel the benefits more than someone with less ... but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

Choice is still yours!

Adrian~
Old 01-10-2005, 11:19 AM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
I like both, but one seems to have more of a direct impact than the other..

Poly Trans...mount...seems to solve the problem passively with more effort involved to install than the upper mount...

It would seem more practical to solve the problem directly with an engine mount to stablize the higher outputs as opposed to the poly trans...and with less effort to install.

Eric what was your conclusion on installing the upper Engine mount..? Your website (which I believe itsuggest it actually improved your shifting after this mod.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456
I got mine along with the KIC steering rack clamp/brace, so most of the difference was made by the clamp/brace, I would assume. But the car really drives nice, even the mechanics were joyriding around in my car after they pressed the bushings in, , they told me how it felt like a whole new car combined with the rack brace.... every little bit helps with the suspension.

the poly is not as drastic an improvement as say, the rear sway bar, in my opinion, but well worth it nonetheless!
Abdukted did you get any additional shaking or vibration out of the mounts since you have the Automatic? I put poly bushing in an auto before and almost lost my teeth due to vibration at idle when stopped at lights.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #11
Trollerator
Elder

I have poly control arm bushings, not the tranny mount. so, no, no vibration that i noticed.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-10-2005, 12:02 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Cool. I always get a little worried when adding poly's to an Automatic since you have constant throttle and torque on the motor when it is in drive. Believe me it is not comfortable to be in a car that shakes sa bad your mirrors almost fall off when you are at a stop light.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:33 PM   #13
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
By your VIn that you emailed me, you have the early controll arms and the bushings cannot be upgraded without changing all the arms to the new style. If I had to do one set on the later cars it would be the Outer set. The rears are fine and the inner set can be done but are less noticable on a street car.
The two suspension flavors:

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 01-10-2005, 12:47 PM   #14

man just my luck! of course i have to get stuck with the crappy arms!

what do those new arms run? I would imagine they would come with new poly bushings?

So basically the outer and inner bushings you have on your website would not apply to my vehicle?

PM me on what parts i need for the upgrade and how much?

Thanks Nick!
Old 01-10-2005, 01:07 PM   #15
Elder

Its a black car thing there SAAbguy!!

Old 01-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #16
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_SAAB
I like both, but one seems to have more of a direct impact than the other..

Poly Trans...mount...seems to solve the problem passively with more effort involved to install than the upper mount...

It would seem more practical to solve the problem directly with an engine mount to stablize the higher outputs as opposed to the poly trans...and with less effort to install.
It takes 15 mins to instal the trans mount. Not exactly much effort. I should know.

It is the trans end of the assembly which moves most and causes shifter vagueness. It fixes that in the most direct manner possible.

There's nothing wrong with the upper mount as well ... but if you do the upper and not the trans you'll have some movement on the trans side of the engine which will still make the shifter feel vague. Both is best ... but if I had to pick one it would be the trans. It seems ... un-elegant ... to re-engineer a new mount when some of the original ones were poorly made.

Where did you hear about the mounts failing anyway? There are quite a few high hp 9-3's on MapTun's site without a custom mount, cool as it might be.

For kicks and giggles here's the stock trans mount ... looks pretty wimpy for something expected to resist nearly 300 lb-ft of stock torque:

Old 01-10-2005, 01:43 PM   #17

so thats what the stocker looks like ey!

For all you experts out there....like i said previously i can get a new oem mount for next to nothing due to my buddy having an extra one in his garage! Is there anything i can do to the new OEM mount before i install it to maket it stronger and tighter???
Old 01-11-2005, 04:26 AM   #18

Dasaabguy asked, in reference to the VRK from Abbott, via Scanwest:

Quote:
Saaboheme, do u remeber how much that cost you?
Unfortunately I do. This was purchased in Spring of 2002, before Genuine Saab, and later MP Performance, started manufacturing essentially the same or very similar parts. Since it is from Abbott, it was approximately $800.00 USD for all the bushings, the clamp and brace, and the subframe brace. Ouch.

What is worse, the clamp brace was the wrong one and would not fit to the rack clamp. I sent it back to Scanwest per their instructions, after speaking with Duncan at UK Abbott, and never heard back from Scanwest since then. So I have using the clamp only, sans brace. Double ouch.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:27 AM   #19
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaboheme
What is worse, the clamp brace was the wrong one and would not fit to the rack clamp. I sent it back to Scanwest per their instructions, after speaking with Duncan at UK Abbott, and never heard back from Scanwest since then. So I have using the clamp only, sans brace. Double ouch.
aren't you a lawyer or something? go get your brace from them!

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-11-2005, 07:15 AM   #20

Yes I am a lawyer, but contrary to common perception, we do not all charge into court whenever we think we are wronged. I have been too busy to follow up with Jeff (who is very decent fellow) at Scanwest. I am certain that an e-mail or two will get things rolling there, but have not had time on my end to install it anyway. (Five kids and an '89 T vert that I have been trying to find the time to finish restoring). Also, opening a fresh can of buttwhup on people often results in protracted arguing and unsatisfactory resolutions (like spending more time and money on something than it is worth). So once I get the time and inclination, I will see to it, and I am sure everything will be hunky-dory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in