upper motor mount DONE!!!!! what a mess - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
upper motor mount DONE!!!!! what a mess

i will be beginning to put an upper motor mount on my 9-3 tomorrow.. using the 9000 upper mount i have posted pics on the last post here and on my website as well
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Pictures.Pictures!! Take lots of them of the install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-09-2005, 04:59 PM   #3

here's someone else's picture

ill def take pics of mine when i am done

Old 01-09-2005, 09:49 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Very nice looking. How does it work for the motor? any ill effects or anything of the like? What is the benefit of doing it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Send a message via ICQ to 9-3 Mike Send a message via MSN to 9-3 Mike
the benifits are quicker shifting with a manual car... and in some cases (like mine) the torque is just too massive for the original mounts to handle... therefore you need it just to keep the engine in place and to not stress the other mount too hard.. (they'll brake)

The negative part is that sometimes the stress of the cylinder head gets too big. Wich can result in broken gaskets and leaking.

NEW:

1/8mile = 8,807sec @ 87,1mph
Old 01-10-2005, 01:23 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
i belive MP is in the process of making one of these for our 9-3/ng900s most likely cheap and easy install...cant wait...
Old 01-10-2005, 04:10 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I am still waiting for my engine part of the mount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 01-10-2005, 05:40 AM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
I think Eric had a good write-up on his page for any of those do-it-yourself type folks out there.

I believe it comes off the 99 9000's with some slight modifications...

But if MP does one.., that's where I'm buying mine. Was wondering if Nick has addressed this on his car yet.

regards..
Old 01-10-2005, 06:18 AM   #9
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
We explored that option when developing a mount upgrade for my Viggen, and later offering it to our customers. You will notice that most of the 9000 people still have to upgrade the trans mount and the 9-3/900 is even softer than those. The main problem is that the gearbox (actually the end where the shift rod enters the gearbox) can move longitudinally away from the lever in the factory soft rubber mount. Tying the belt end of the engine down helps the rocking of the powertrain but does little for shifter precision since the gearbox is still free to move away from the lever. But you are free to do whatever you want. Just sharing what I have learned.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 01-10-2005, 06:31 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

nicholas.. what about the engine mount that you have... what's the beinfits of that?

NEW:

Old 01-10-2005, 07:49 AM   #11
Elder

I like that car's engine, I have all his pics. Battery is re-located and same with the air intake.

Where does the mount attach to the motor? Is there already a pre-drilled spot or do you have to make the holes?

Old 01-10-2005, 08:35 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmdesign
Where does the mount attach to the motor? Is there already a pre-drilled spot or do you have to make the holes?
The cylinder head is the same as on the 9000 wich means the head has the mounting holes there already. The question to solve is how to mount it to the chassis. To make it as firm as possible...

NEW:

Old 01-10-2005, 08:42 AM   #13

on a 9000 there is a bracket or maybe 2 that come off the strut tower.... but these brackets are welded on to the car... so in a 9-3 or ng u need to put one bolt to the strut brace and make a bracket for the bottom
Old 01-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuinesaab
We explored that option when developing a mount upgrade for my Viggen, and later offering it to our customers. You will notice that most of the 9000 people still have to upgrade the trans mount and the 9-3/900 is even softer than those. The main problem is that the gearbox (actually the end where the shift rod enters the gearbox) can move longitudinally away from the lever in the factory soft rubber mount. Tying the belt end of the engine down helps the rocking of the powertrain but does little for shifter precision since the gearbox is still free to move away from the lever. But you are free to do whatever you want. Just sharing what I have learned.
Agreed. Once you get under the car to instal a nice new Poly version it's pretty obvious where the failings of the stock one are. Now I just need a new rear mount.

Adrian~
Old 01-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #15
Elder

It seems that motor and trans mounts are the weak point of most cars. I had poly bushings in one of my cars that had an automatic and boy does that suck if you dont like shaking and rattling. Does anyone else have poly bushings in their 9-3 with an Auto? Do you get any benefits from it like the manuals do?

Old 01-10-2005, 12:11 PM   #16
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Rear mount is in compression and has not been a problem. If you put a top link on the 3 stock mounts will absorb more shearing force causing more likelihood of failure. This is not the case with running our upgraded trans mount. We have been able to tune out all but just a little of the vibration, it is not a problem. The stock right mount is not a problem either. We are only changing the left mount (the trans side) A new stock mount is $100 so the price difference for a mount that will last the lifetime of the car vs the stock rubber that will fail a few times is a pretty good value to me. It is also a simple 20 min job with no cutting or other silly stuff.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 01-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #17
Elder

That is good to hear that you can almost completley reduce the vibration factor. I may have to look into this upgrade as I start to tune the car more. Thanks for the info Nick.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #18
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuinesaab
We have been able to tune out all but just a little of the vibration, it is not a problem. The stock right mount is not a problem either. We are only changing the left mount (the trans side) A new stock mount is $100 so the price difference for a mount that will last the lifetime of the car vs the stock rubber that will fail a few times is a pretty good value to me. It is also a simple 20 min job with no cutting or other silly stuff.
Yeah, it took me 15 minutes ... in pouring rain. It's easy. When I combined that with a fresh set of plugs (at least in my case) I couldn't put my keys away! I've been having too much fun.

It also makes the engine feel more responsive because it doesn't "wait" to catch leverage on the mounts before accellerating. It feels like it's more directly connected to the wheels.

The only drawback so far is that dreaded wheel-hop which, without a subframe brace, is just as bad if not worse. But I only noticed that because it was 40 degrees, pouring rain, and I was trying to go much faster than I should have.

Adrian~
Old 01-13-2005, 01:23 PM   #19

PICTURES!!!!

parts

brackets

horrible mess of hoses and wires
Old 01-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

Ricot!

I'm not sure I get what you've done..... have you got a picture with a better overview, not like those closeups you've attached...

NEW:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in