2.0 w/ 2.3 intake manifold swap - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

2.0 w/ 2.3 intake manifold swap

So I was doing some research on intake manifold mods and came across something the guys at GS put up. Has anyone done this mod? Any noticeable gains?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
About 20 foot pounds of torque, but no numbers on air/fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
Elder

Nick said it helps alot in the midrange rpm but hurts on the top end. I'm thinking about doing it to mine. I like more midrange as I do't run too high in the rpm anyway

Old 04-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to brewtide
I ran it, for a while....

Look for some of my posts?

No afr's, never got to the dyno, and the turbo manifold is back on...

PS. More than 20ft/lb I'd have to say, more like 20% gains...

-bny
Old 04-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Elder

GS has numbers on here somewhere. Search for Genuine SAAB or Nick
Old 04-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
TSLMember

Yeah I have one in the garage I want to put on but the A/F ratio thing scares me. I asked nick about it and he said it is bad without a custom tune. He wouldn't say if it runs lean or not though. Jak thinks it may be alright but a dyno session is strongly advised. So I really don't know how safe it is, I would guess that on a mild setup like mine the trionic could compensate but I am not fully sure. Since brewtide is a slacker and never went to the dyno one of us needs to just go so we can get this cleared up. P.S. just kidding brewtide don't hate me you have been very helpful.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:58 PM   #7

why would you need a tune just for switching out the intake mani? there is just going to be more air there.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #8

haha ok so does anyone have the manifold installed and maybe running a wideband gauge? If so... what are your A/F readings?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny72888 View Post
why would you need a tune just for switching out the intake mani? there is just going to be more air there.

I cant imagine it doing anything but putting the motor into limp mode... For the most part I'm sure running the manifold wont be an issue.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
TSLMember

Are you running an MBC? I am so this means if things go wonky the ECU can't pull boost which of coarse is very bad. You could remain safe by raising fuel pressure but that is not ideal because you would be increasing fuel through the whole RPM band and not when it is nessisary. The thing that sucks is that if you don't live near a tuner then it makes it hard to do a custom tune. Jak says he can right a tune for it so maybe talking to him is best.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ntake+manifold

the link for anyone who is interested, it seemed to work well for nick's car, but i wonder if it would make things worse for lightly modded car
Old 05-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #12
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Thats funny. I thought those pics looked familiar.

It is an easy swap. It will mess up fueling a little but should not be horrible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post

It is an easy swap. It will mess up fueling a little but should not be horrible.
The is not possible for the viggen/ T7 because of why again?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
T7 has a funky angle on the tb and manifold, it will bolt to the head, but the tb may interfere with the strutbar or firewall if i 'member correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 05-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
T7 has a funky angle on the tb and manifold, it will bolt to the head, but the tb may interfere with the strutbar or firewall if i 'member correctly.
Thanks tweek, In that case i have one for sale.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #16

Quote:

Yeah, it does seem like an easy swap. Does the viggen exhaust manifold match up as well?? I saw a post on adding a 9k exhaust manifold to the NG 2.0... right now im running stage 4 SQR with a TDO4HL-15t... so bolting on the turbo obviously wouldn' be an issue. Does the viggen manifold have a higher flow of exhaust?? sorry im completely off topic... haha.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #17
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to BluAero
The thing I love about SAAB's are that you can use parts from other SAAB's as performance parts..haha.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #18
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluAero View Post
The thing I love about SAAB's are that you can use parts from other SAAB's as performance parts..haha.
Thats what happens when you use almost the same engine in all your car models for several years. Got to have mechanical variation somehow.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #19
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to BluAero
Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
Thats what happens when you use almost the same engine in all your car models for several years. Got to have mechanical variation somehow.
If it ain't broke no need to fix it! Haha

Old 05-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #20
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
Quote:

how will it run at the top end too lean?

and what about the N/A manifold allows a lot of mid range power and reduced top end power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in