Let em roll, Eagle tallonvs ngvert... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
JZW
Elder

Let em roll, Eagle tallonvs ngvert...

Happened upon a Eagle Talon with a T? turbo and he wanted to play and we had some fun. I was in third at about 3500rpm and he came up from behind and came hard. I went wot and it slowly started building boost and he got almost to my rear bumper and I hit my sweat spot and lunged forward by about 3 cars and he got back in behind me.

We then did about 3 different pulls from 35-40mph and I would let him go first and he would just edge forward and then my car would hit full boost, spin and jump forward about two cars.

We did a final one and I let him come hard on me until he was almost even and then hit it in second gear and I would instantly go even and then pulled ahead by about 1/2 a car and bounced off the rev limit and shifted to third and was in my laggy spot... He pulled ahead about 1/2 a car and then I finally got to my sweat spot and jumped ahead by about 3 cars again.

It was fun, but I have to either get a smaller turbine housing or add a 35-50hp shot of nitrous to help my spool up in third gear. I am making big power, but its just too laggy at this elevation and I need either a higher second gear rev limit, 7500rpm or nitrous or a smaller turbine...

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
Nice race!

Talon must have been pretty quick, eh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Elder

good stuff.

could always move the boost limiter on 2nd gear up some...

Old 04-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
Nice race!

Talon must have been pretty quick, eh?
He was beside me yelling what stage t? turbo set-up he had, but I could not quite make it out... I was yelling 3076, 3076

It just made me realize I need to do something about my third gear spool-up as even if I am near 7k in second, I am not high enough to jump right back into my sweat spot in third. Might have to try a t3 .63 or t25 .64 or just put on the 35hp shot of nitrous and keep the big end while lowring the bottom end and just use it for drag racing...

John
Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

lower final drive....might work in this area

John, with the 4.45 final in my Aero I am up almost a gear over stock at all speeds. This essentiall makes the 2-3 shift you are experiencing actually be a third to fourth shift and it closes the ratios at each speed relative to stock gears.
If you still have the 900 final I think it is something like 3.83.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
JZW
Elder

Thanks Matt, that is exactly what I need, shorter gears because third to fourth puts me right back into the sweat spot, but second to third is just to far of a gap and even if I hit the 7k rev limit, I drop back to around 4k or so and my big monster is not going quick until about 4500rpm and up, its just about 500rpm too low.

I have 3 used trannies in the garage now and one of them was only having trouble poping out of third on decel. If I new what final drive to find out of what gear-box, I could make a new tranny with better final drive and lsd to keep this bad boy going in a straight line.

Its quite a handfull on the back country roads and with the open diff throwing the power back and forth, it feels like it wants to suck you off the road at any minute.... Its scary

John
Old 04-25-2008, 05:17 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post

Its quite a handfull on the back country roads and with the open diff throwing the power back and forth, it feels like it wants to suck you off the road at any minute.... Its scary

John

i look at that as an anti theft device if someone steels your car they will most certainly die, and insureance will cover the car so its a win win, sorta, i mean your still out a car gotta sort out the kinks in that plan
JP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #8
JZW
Elder

That is funny I also think the light flywheel combined with the spec stage 3 6-pucks disk clutch would get them a few times while trying to get started.

With the exhaust the way it is now its loud and with someone trying to start, get it going, I bet I could get up, wash my face, get dressed and go upstairs and outside and still catch them trying to get moving....

Where is my gun???

John
Old 04-25-2008, 07:16 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
I bet I could get up, wash my face, get dressed and go upstairs and outside
For those who don't know JZW lives in a secret high altitude SAAB tuning lab buried under one of the mountains in Colorado. Area 900 I think its called.

Keep up the good work.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
JZW
Elder

SSSHHHHHH
Old 04-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

john i think its time for a duel turbo set up!!

2001 Grand Cherokee Limited 60th ed.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #12

Last edited by jonny72888; 04-25-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:17 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

Whats the benefit of in series turbos ? No lag ?
Old 04-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #14
JZW
Elder

My new goal... :-)

Thought this was quite impressive...

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7946-1995-Mitsubishi-Lancer%20EVO.jpg (97.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
That last pick is a wozer JZW!

Is that collector for scavenging like on a 2 stroke? Wait no...it looks like water intercooler...
Old 04-27-2008, 09:27 AM   #16

ya, i think it is a water cooler. it has those lines going to it.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #17
TSLMember

mmmm....4G63T, the motor that got me hooked on boosted 4-bangers.
DSMs were my first love, how I went from them to Saabs, the world may never know! lol
Old 04-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #18
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B204Life View Post
mmmm....4G63T, the motor that got me hooked on boosted 4-bangers.
DSMs were my first love, how I went from them to Saabs, the world may never know! lol
Sounds like that makes two of us. I still love DSMs and will hopefully be getting into another this summer.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

silly question, but what does DSM stand for...
Old 04-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #20
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Daily Service Maintinence...............or Diamond Star Motors. Which ever one you want to chose. BTW, I also was a dsmer at one point in time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in