will 18x8.5 35mm not rub with koni springs - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

will 18x8.5 35mm not rub with koni springs

225 40 18 tires will be mounted on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900AERO View Post
225 40 18 tires will be mounted on them.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Elder

I imagine they will, 17x8.5 with 225/45 rub slightly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 04-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
I imagine they will, 17x8.5 with 225/45 rub slightly.
what is the offset on the 17x8.5
Old 04-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post

Hah what do you mean?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
My 9000 with the inca's (18x7.5) rub something aweful on my aero with a 235/40. My spacers push them out about another inch so its like running a 18x8.5 wheel. It clears everything fine except the wheel arches on the inside. Instead of rolling the entire fender out I just took a air grinder and cut out all of the excess material from the wheel arch. The rears were the worst but the fronts are rubbing slightly.

Have you drove with that wheel/tire combo yet? Im guessing your going to need some cutting or you are going to shave your rubber over bumps and around corners! I drove my car like it was a boat for a few days so I didn't hurt my tires.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ViggenStory
Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post

yeah where da pics?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDynamic View Post
My 9000 with the inca's (18x7.5) rub something aweful on my aero with a 235/40. My spacers push them out about another inch so its like running a 18x8.5 wheel. It clears everything fine except the wheel arches on the inside. Instead of rolling the entire fender out I just took a air grinder and cut out all of the excess material from the wheel arch. The rears were the worst but the fronts are rubbing slightly.

Have you drove with that wheel/tire combo yet? Im guessing your going to need some cutting or you are going to shave your rubber over bumps and around corners! I drove my car like it was a boat for a few days so I didn't hurt my tires.
Thanks, but for me i am not into custting and grinding. I just want the wheels to fit right. JTViggen has OZ,s 18x8 38mm 225 40 18 and he has no rubbing with 4 people in the car. he has the stock 1999 viggen springs which seems lowers than the 2002 viggen almost as low as the koni springs.
I am just wondering who with a viggen has gone wide? i was going for 18x8 35mm with 215 40 18 whic closer to the 215 45 17 than the 225 40 18. but aftre seeing a few cars ith 225 40 18 that reported no issues. i am leaning more toward the 225 40 18. i just came accors a good deal on 18x8.5 35mm and i am wonering if i shoud grab them.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViggenStory View Post
yeah where da pics?
no pis yet? but i will post them when i get every thing together. that why i am posting the question before I spend the dollars?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Thanks, but for me i am not into custting and grinding.
Then don't buy them.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Then don't buy them.
wish it was that simple. I can understand what happened with your 9000. but my car is a 9-3. Thanks for the input though.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Then don't buy them.
x2

i can only imagine that there would be some rub... that would be huge.. that extra .5 can mean the diff between rubbing or not..
Old 04-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
Elder

Then I hope you have some cutting tools! lol

Im not trying to be mean but your going to hit something. Whats the offset? You could end up hitting your suspension, and then your in real trouble because you have absolutely no clearence in the fender to use spacers and push it out more. Im not one to say things won't work. Im more the person that says anything goes, but thats only if you have the right attitude, and if your "not into cutting and grinding" I doubt your going to be happy with the results your soon to end up with.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #14

so let me rephrase the question. any one put 18x8.5 on a 9-3 viggen with koni springs? and of so, what tire size did you use? and what wheel offset did you have?. and did you have any rubbing issues?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

i'll get pictures of 225/40R18 on ronal r38 18x8 on the viggen with koni setup no rub
Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #16
SAAB Road Master

well maybe when it's weighted down then yea it'll happen
Old 04-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
so let me rephrase the question. any one put 18x8.5 on a 9-3 viggen with koni springs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUviggen View Post
i'll get pictures of 225/40R18 on ronal r38 18x8 on the viggen with koni setup no rub
I don't know but when cutting things as closely as this is i would think that half inch makes a huge difference. i may be wrong but i would only spend the money if there is plenty (at least an extra inch to inch and a half) of clearence on the 18x8s..

not trying to spoil hopes but don't want to spend the money then find out you would have to cut something...
Old 04-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUviggen View Post
do you have the offset on the wheels. and can you get close up pics?. also can you feel with your fingers and see your clearence around all four on the inside. strut housing. rear shocks and fuel tank house. thanks you so much.

Last edited by 900AERO; 04-17-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
I don't know but when cutting things as closely as this is i would think that half inch makes a huge difference. i may be wrong but i would only spend the money if there is plenty (at least an extra inch to inch and a half) of clearence on the 18x8s..

not trying to spoil hopes but don't want to spend the money then find out you would have to cut something...
to be exact it's quarter inch on each side that makes up for the half inch as long as it's the same offset.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #20
Elder

I'm putting 18x8.5 on my viggen, their is a guy with 17x8.5 and had no issues and his car was lowered.

I have yet to buy the tires just waiting on the right time and what size to get. If their is going to be rubbing then i plan on rolling the fenders just a little bit. The process is not that hard and really not that involved just a precaution. With 9k vs the 9-3 i don't think you can really justify saying its not going to work causeit did not work on the 9k.

I plan on putting Nicks coilovers on the vig so i can adjust the front to suite my needs. It will mostly be a track car with everyday driveability. I live in the City but as it is i really don't use my car at all during the week.

To say don't do... Have a open mind rolling the fenders a little bit is not hard at all. I wanted a wider wheel so thats what i went for.

Keep me updated on what you choose for a tire width. The rims i have are a offset of 35 and viggen wheels are ET of 42 my adapters are going to be 19 that will bring my ET back to 42. Might make it 20mm to gain a extra mm but not sure as of yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in