Saab Link Forums banner

ETS ic install mods

2K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  Marks9-3 
#1 ·
ok so i looked around and although it was discussed numerous times...

does anyone have pictures of what exactly needs to be done to install the ets ic?

i read some people cutting the support and some just hammering it.

i need a new ic (yes my stocker is actually damaged badly) and i would love direct bolt on but the ets price is a little more appealing.

#5 · (Edited)
Mark has some great pictures of his install and they are on his homesite.

I put it in place, put the bumper on and line it all up and then mark the spot where the end tank meets the inner crash bar.

I then take a die grinder and grind down the area on the inner crash bar until the bumper will fit without much pressure. Make sure the end tank welds are smooth as that is some area that can save room and may save you from having to take much off the inner crash bar.

I have heard of guys taking a big hammer and just beating in the inner crash bar at the point of contact, but I like the die grinding myself.

Here you go.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/458565/2

John

#8 ·
I took some extra material out of the radiator plastic sides. Now while you dont have to do this, it makes fitting much easier.

Left Side:

Right Side:

The zip tie is only to make sure it stays in place, once the bumper is was on the tie is completely unnecessary.

I personally didnt have to do anything to my bumper support but that might be due to my lack of an A/C condenser.

Final fitment:

#14 ·
removal of the bumper is very easy. remove corner lights, then headlights. unbolt the plastic under the engine, and the bumper from the wheel wells. use a 17mm socket to un bolt the 2 bolts that hold the bumper on (need to remove the headlights to see them). pull the bumper off and you're all set.(posted froma phone so excuse any formatting errors)

#19 ·
He already had a cross flow on there;)

If you have a single pass ic, you do need to A. take the extra pieces from the single pass ic and make a tube that will work or buy viggen turbo side ic hose, which flows nice with smooth bends.

There are two versions, stock viggen one for tdo4 turbo and the one smade special for the t25 turbo, the clocking of the two turbos is different and the t25 turbo outlet points away from the ic a little.

John

#20 ·
There are two versions, stock viggen one for tdo4 turbo and the one smade special for the t25 turbo, the clocking of the two turbos is different and the t25 turbo outlet points away from the ic a little.

John
I had my crossflow and viggen IC pipe from when I had my T25, so I had to modify it a little to work with the TDO4.

Also, like I mentioned in the other thread, get the lower rad hose from a 00 9-3. its shaped different to make room for the turbo exit hose. Only some of the '99 9-3's had them (all the H.O.T did, but even some that wernt) but its almost impossible to tell. It only being like $11 you should replace it anyway while you're down there.

#22 ·
Crap... I picked up Marcus's ETS intercooler and installed it this weekend. Was pretty straight forward. Grinded down about 1/8" of material of the drivers side of the crash bar... Now looking at these pics I may have installed it upsidedown...

Both pics are from your car Marcus... ;-) I installed it like image #1 with the lower IC exit on the drivers side. All of it seemed to fit fine. I did have to trim the radiator shrowd a little bit though...

So which way is the "correct" way?

#27 ·
You know I never thought about flipping it around:cool: I wonder if mine is on backewards??? Mine does hang pretty low with the oil cooler lines removed. It rest almost on the bottom of the fender cover, I figure more core in the airflow that way...

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.