Forge spring colors? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to moose
Forge spring colors?

so i was switching out my spring the other day in my bov and i remember what colors that forge list for the kit. i have the kit and i have green, yellow, blue, red, and then this aqua colored one. so what is this one rated for it feels a bit stiffer then yellow and around the same as the blue but i don't know? did anyone have this in there kit?

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
Admin
Elder

Send a message via AIM to snow4_1man
what springs did you bring with you?
99 LTB Vig - Awesome Rally Crash! - RIP
99 LTB Vig - Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4_1man View Post
what springs did you bring with you?
everything but the one i'm running which is the aqua.

Stg. no go

Old 04-14-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Admin
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
everything but the one i'm running which is the aqua.
K i just need the yellow the blue is way to much. From the sounds of it the aqua one sounds perfect in between the yellow and the blue. I tried to google that color and come up with nothing.
99 LTB Vig - Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4_1man View Post
K i just need the yellow the blue is way to much. From the sounds of it the aqua one sounds perfect in between the yellow and the blue. I tried to google that color and come up with nothing.
ya same here. it really has got me curious.

Stg. no go
Old 04-14-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Yeah I have never heard of an Aqua. I have the kit too...the order is what, green, yellow, blue, red or red then blue?

Interesting find with that color...any pictures?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
Trollerator
Elder

Valve Spring color coding

Green - 5-15 PSI

Yellow - 15-23 PSI

Blue - 23-30 PSI

Red - 30 + PSI

there should also be some spacers in the kit if you need to be someplace in between the colors

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
I'm pretty sure that Nick said the yellow is all you really ever need.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Yep onthe open valves yellow will be fine since it will keep it closed at idle. On my Vig at 30psi I run the green spring.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 04-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
Admin
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Yep onthe open valves yellow will be fine since it will keep it closed at idle. On my Vig at 30psi I run the green spring.
whats the reason behind this?
99 LTB Vig - Sold

Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #11
Trollerator
Elder

yeah I am curious too, doesn't make sense?

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 04-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
lms

Is this a deverter valve or a bov? I have a question for anyone: I have a T7 and have a hyperboost mini diverter valve but it does not come with an assortment of springs. Depending on temp, etc, I run anywhere from 18t o 22 psi. So why does one need a valve with different springs if the type of valve I have only has one and works fine????? Or does it??
thx

Last edited by lms; 04-15-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #13

on diverter valves the spring kit is different. the green is actually the most stiff.

Stg. no go
Old 04-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #14
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

The valve has manifold pressure on the backside so all the spring does is give the valve some bias to overcome stiction. I run the green so it stays open longer allowing maximum unloading of the compressor to keep turbo speed up on shifts.

They use the same springs in all the valves. Use the green. It is not a VAG.

add: If you don't believe me take the spring out and if lubed correctly will still have full power. Might respond a little slow since there is nothing to overcome valve friction.

|
|

Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #15

Quote:
The valve has manifold pressure on the backside so all the spring does is give the valve some bias to overcome stiction. I run the green so it stays open longer allowing maximum unloading of the compressor to keep turbo speed up on shifts.

They use the same springs in all the valves. Use the green. It is not a VAG.

add: If you don't believe me take the spring out and if lubed correctly will still have full power. Might respond a little slow since there is nothing to overcome valve friction.
? don't you lose pressure on atm. bov if you run to small of spring.

Stg. no go
Old 04-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
What Nick says makes perfect sense. The valve has a line from before the throttle and therefore when boosting the second piston is pressurized and is forced down to fully seal the port. I'm speaking about the atm. forge valve here for reference. Don't know anything about the internals on the BPV forge makes.

I'm referecing T5 boost signal location for the valve here.

Last edited by NahumCC; 04-15-2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: To specify which cars I'm referring to.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #17
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

You are right.. Except. The Vac hose connects to manifold pressure.. (t7 cars have a valve so the ecu can connect the valve either before or after the throttle. This keeps hooting to a minimum)

Both the dump valve and recirc valves have the same construction. The -004 valves have a second light pressure piston on the end of the main to prevent having unfiltered air getting in if the spring is too light to keep it closed at idle. This second piston is what gives a little odd sound. But hopefully you can understand now why running too hard spring is unnecessary.

|
|

Old 04-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #18

Quote:
You are right.. Except. The Vac hose connects to manifold pressure.. (t7 cars have a valve so the ecu can connect the valve either before or after the throttle. This keeps hooting to a minimum)

Both the dump valve and recirc valves have the same construction. The -004 valves have a second light pressure piston on the end of the main to prevent having unfiltered air getting in if the spring is too light to keep it closed at idle. This second piston is what gives a little odd sound. But hopefully you can understand now why running too hard spring is unnecessary.
so you are running the green spring rated for 5-15psi?

Stg. no go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in