HOW TO: install a steering rack clamp/brace - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Elder

HOW TO: install a steering rack clamp/brace

i installed mine yesterday, but the instructions on dips site are off for a 9-3.

tools needed:
13mm socket (preferably a deep)
possibly a 13mm box wrench
10mm wrench
10mm socket

1. remove the top 13mm bolt on the stock clamp. Then get feel around underneath and get your 13mm deep socket onto the nut (it is a nut on a stud). this is where i needed a 13mm wrench since i didnt have deep sockets.

2. Slide the new back half of the clamp around the rack (the big hole goes on the bottom to fit over the stud).

3. Line up the outer/front half of the clamp. Install the new lower 19mm weird nut onto the lower stud. doing this first makes it much easier, i learned this the hard way

4. Pull the plastic rivet out of the fender, its hard to describe which one without pictures, but if you line up the brace arm with where it bolts to the clamp and then to the fender it is obvious. for further help...when looking from the drivers side at the pass through, it is the rivet in the upper left corner.

5. lightly bolt the brace to the fender BEFORE you begin bolting it to the clamp. i was not able to get in the fender well to do this without lifting the body with the jack, but the car does not need to come off the ground (it may be do able with smaller arms)

6. to get the clamp and brace to bolt together you may have to do some wiggling, by grabbing the end of the steering rack, and pushing it closer and/or farther from the fire wall, until you can get the bolt lined up and threaded.

7. tighten down all bolts, and enjoy.

sorry for the lack of pictures, but this is what it looks like done.

stock bushing

looking from drivers side

top shot

closeup

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
Elder

also, dont underestimate what this little thing can do.

i have atleast 2 bent wheels, and between 50 and 60mph had a horrible steering wheel shake, and now the wheel barely shakes, and i really only feel a shake under braking. the on ramp control under uh shall we say "hard merging" is much improved also.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

its a great upgrade!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Elder

Yep, also lessons the tramlining (car following ruts and grooves).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Yeah I have wondered about using them on the standard service cars that they complain about vibration..

I also have a picture tutorial here http://genuinesaab.com/gallery/RackBraceKit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 04-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
Elder

well thanks for one upping me nick lol

Old 04-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny72888 View Post
its a great upgrade!
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
well thanks for one upping me nick lol
You've get the write up, Nick's got the pictures so it works out.
2007 Cbr600

Old 04-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
Elder

I feel like there are a million writeups for this...

Old 04-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Does it make much of a difference on the ng900's with the older, larger style steering rack?

Old 04-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
I feel like there are a million writeups for this...
other than dips there was nothing that was close, and no one had the right bolt sizes.

crowley - cooper didnt have on eon that car?!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:57 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Nope. No clamp/brace.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Well I'm off to go find the right size nut and washers to be able to install the one I picked up off of Dan. I figured this was a straight foward type job but I like to do my research. Thanks.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Got mine in the car in a decent amount of time. Got a few burns from being impatient and not letting the manifold cool down after having to run out and get a 6.0mm X 1.0 nut for wheel well bolt. It's definitely an awsome product and worth every penny. I can still feel it pull around but 2nd gear is much more tame and controlable now if I punch it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in