ECU Tuning Question - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to gregg
ECU Tuning Question

I'm thinking of going w/ Automotion since they are local, have a good price, and seem to be well spoken of on the board

1) Does upgrading the ECU affect the transmission at all? Since the transmission/throttle body is electronically controlled, does the upgrading the ECU improve performance of the transmission's shifting? Unfortunately, I have an AT and it never seems to be in the right gear when I am driving around town

2) Once the ECU is upgraded, is it then possible to use an MBC or EBC on a T7 car? Or is that not possible at all, regardless of ECU tune?

BTW, car is 2000 9-3SE (HOT), Autotragic

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
The auto ecu is seperate from the T7 ecu. Basically the tune will only effect the life of your transmission based on how much power you go with and how you use it.

Also you cannot no matter what use a MBC with T7. You already have a EBC.........its your stock BPC valve .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg View Post
I'm thinking of going w/ Automotion since they are local, have a good price, and seem to be well spoken of on the board

1) Does upgrading the ECU affect the transmission at all? Since the transmission/throttle body is electronically controlled, does the upgrading the ECU improve performance of the transmission's shifting? Unfortunately, I have an AT and it never seems to be in the right gear when I am driving around town

2) Once the ECU is upgraded, is it then possible to use an MBC or EBC on a T7 car? Or is that not possible at all, regardless of ECU tune?

BTW, car is 2000 9-3SE (HOT), Autotragic

Thanks everyone!

Ok to answer #1.........

On an Automatic it can affect the trans.. it should make it crisper and sharper shifting due to the power differences. However keep in mind that almost all control of the trans on a T7 seems to be controlled by the trans computer and not the ECU.

On my car 2000 9-3 SE HOT Automagic , 3" DP w/Racecat , resonator delete, 3" Diy Air Box mod with drop in K&N and a SMBC with the equivelant of a Stage 3/4 tune I can break the wheels loose at 40MPH.

Keep in mind that my car also is running an ECU and file from a 5speed too and since that the trans does not have an issue being in the wrong gear.

On the 2nd question.........

You cant use a MBC on a T7.... you can use an SMBC but you should not need it. I run one on my car but I am also insanely crazy too... lol!!

No really there is not a need for anything else besides the ECU upgrade and accompanying HW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in