GS Downpipe burble? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

GS Downpipe burble?

After installing the GS downpipe and making sure it is not rubbing on anything below, the odd time I get a strange burble kinda sound from the front. It sounds almost like a muffler dragging on the ground. Sounds like it's coming from the passenger front side.

The pattern is very hard to figure out. It dose it at random times. Usually the car is in gear but zero throttle (engine break). So I could drive 20 min and then for some reason when I engine break it starts to burble.

Tire rubbing is ruled out. Everything is tight and in place. If a shake the exhaust from the back it is not hitting anything. So I have no idea....

Is this the norm for the downpipe or something else? I'm stumped. What else can I check?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Never had something like that. Which version do you have, V1 or V2. If V1 I'd make sure that the first section where the downpipe and flexpipe meet at is sealed up good. I know my clamp is stretched pretty far to hold those two sections together. As for the v2 with the v-band I don't know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #3

v2

Old 04-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
I just put in the V2 about 3 weeks ago.

I had what I would call a "rattle/burrble" when engine braking and it got down between 2300-1800 rpm. It wouldnt do it everytime. But enough to make me wonder. I looked under it and everything seems to be fine. Its also seems to have fixed its self as I was trying to do it on my drive home today and it wouldnt.

I am noticing that where the intermediate pipe meats the rest is a little noisy due to my cut job being a hair short.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 04-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
lms

Is it a burble as in back pressure when you let off, or is it more of a rattle at times. You say it sounds like it's dragging on the ground which to me would sound like a scrape/rattle. Does the GS DP have a u tab welded on it so you can add a support piece to it? I had a rattle kind of sound at certain rpms's which was the cat hitting the 6 point brace, so I tack welded a u-tab and added a support which eliminated it.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #6

It sounds like a coffee maker, spit/rattle or a something draging on the road.

It seems to mostly do it when engine braking and at the same time I do sharp left turn. It also dose it in a staright line the odd times. Everything is tight at the flange. The rest of the exhaust can move around a bit after the flex section, but there seems to be pleanty of clearance.

It's just happens the oddest time. I can do a slalom, sawing left , right, fast and it's fine.

I might go for a drive tonight, there is a street with 4 roundabouts so that will help with the left turn idea.

Thanks Saab for turning an owner into a paranoid DIY'er.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Check the heat shield and make sure the portion of the dp that's closer to the front, maybe right under where the dashboard, isn't vibrating so much that it hits the sides.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
Mine burbles really loud when I engine brake. I even get backfires. Then again, I have a hole in my downpipe (JT 3" DP, flex pipe rubbed against oilpan and formed a hole).

With the larger exhaust, the backpressure creates a cool burble. You may just be hearing it through the pipe.

I know every know and then I'll get a loud "POP", like unburnt gas igniting in my exhaust.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:42 AM   #9

The heat shield is good. Plenty of clearance.

Last night it was consistently doing it when I was in a hard left turn and engine braking.
Maybe the g-forces are enough to really move the exhaust to the side and hit the heat shield (guessing). Maybe it’s that V-band clamp as that is the largest diameter section and closest to the shield. If I have my hand on the e-brake, I can feel little ticking when the burble happens.
Maybe I should try and brace the pipe a bit so it can't move that much around and go for a test drive. What should I try?

Thanks for the comments guys.

I get the occationa pop in the muffler too coming down from high rpm's. Good times.....
Old 04-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
lms

Take something like a small piece of wood or whatever and jam into a space where you know the cat and dp will not move or hit anything. Take it for ride and see what happens. Just be carefull as you don't want a piece of wood catching fire. So if it goes away, take wood out bring down to exhaust shop and have them tack weld a support on dp. They can then support it by atatching it to the engine block. On my viggen there is a spot for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in