boring out a b204 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

boring out a b204

im planing on geting my block line bored the head decked and the cylinders bored before i start puting my 2.0l back together does anyone know how far they can be bored out before i get into the coolant pasages?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #2

No more than a mm over (.040 in) for safety, according to Saab, but some have pushed it more...

Why are you boring it out? Is the cylinder bore gouged?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
i think you want it honed, not bored..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #4

the reason i want to get it bored is because it is gong to be a strictly racing engine and the larger the bore the more power (torque it will produce)
Old 03-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
You would be better off refreshing a B234 and getting a tune for it. There is your displacement.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 03-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer51 View Post
the reason i want to get it bored is because it is gong to be a strictly racing engine and the larger the bore the more power (torque it will produce)

Lots of high power Saabs in Europe use the higher revving 2.0 engine and concentrate on the top of the engine, improving the breathing and strengthening the valve springs....
Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #7

i was told that the b204 and the b234 are the same block the only difference was the crank on the b234 had a longer stroke i plan on using a b234 crank in it and bore it out and i do pla on going with a better top end with cams valves valve springs port and polish and all the good stuff
Old 03-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
B234 + GT30xx seems to have some very good response from the majority of the people on here. Spools relatively low, and makes some great power.

I would say you should be fine with that

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 03-31-2008, 04:39 AM   #9
Elder

IIRC, daveship bored his engine a bit over not sure why but it cost him plenty to get the template done ( again IIRC)

I think the limit ( besides what you read hear) is the aftermarket pistons you can use. I have only seen 90.5 and 91 in Woesner pistons larger than the OEM. I am not sure about the JTs that Nick has access to.

But of course you can go custom rods and all and make anything work

Last edited by jssaab; 03-31-2008 at 04:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
Elder

I agree with mike that you can more comfortably rev the 2.0L higher, but the b234 is an excellent engine as demonstrated in kaylans car. I think its silly to bore an engine out for 'racing' and just get rings made for an oversize bore. Seems like a bad way to do things to me. .040 isn't going to give you more power, either.

Last edited by saabsbreakdown; 03-31-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
You can go up to 93mm but anything over 91mm requires a different head gasket.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #12

thanks im going to go talk to the machine shop tomarow and see what they say and se if i can get a price on it. i will try to ceep you all posted on the build but im buissy as hell at work and have to many projects going on right now so i dont have allot of time to get on the computer anymore. (the story of my life)

Last edited by cruzer51; 04-03-2008 at 09:31 PM. Reason: forgot part
Old 04-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
There was a few years back on ebay a c900 motor with small block chevy pistons in it. Keep us updated.

^CLICK ME^
Old 04-04-2008, 06:18 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
I'd like to get a spare 204 block and build it up. Bore it out to 2.3 rather than go with a stroked 2.3. This way you can keep the short stroke and gain the displacement. (Like Ed did with his 2.5 Viggen, only he went with the long stroke for the 2.5).

High revving 2.3L oh yeah.

But then again, I have to find a 204 block first, and then get the pistons etc. So we'll see what really happens by the time I get around to it.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:23 AM   #15
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

IF you gobig bore on a 2.0 it ends up 2.1L You are not going to gain much at all. Eds it larger not for displacement but to unshroud the valves and make it flow better. Not necessarily for the extra motor size. The 2.0 / 2.3 difference is from the stroke difference basically makes more torque with the extra leverage.

|
|

Old 04-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
IF you gobig bore on a 2.0 it ends up 2.1L You are not going to gain much at all. Eds it larger not for displacement but to unshroud the valves and make it flow better. Not necessarily for the extra motor size. The 2.0 / 2.3 difference is from the stroke difference basically makes more torque with the extra leverage.
Hmm.. I must have been misinformed then.

I thought the 2.0 could be bored out to 2.3... At least I remember a conversation (I thought with you) about that at SOC.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:39 AM   #17
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Bore Stroke Displacement
93x90 = 2.445
90x90 = 2.290
90x78 = 1.984
93x78 = 2.119

|
|

Old 04-04-2008, 07:12 AM   #18
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amish_geek View Post
Hmm.. I must have been misinformed then.

I thought the 2.0 could be bored out to 2.3... At least I remember a conversation (I thought with you) about that at SOC.
You can make a 2.3 into a 2.5 by boring over

John
Old 04-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

Max displacement

How about this.........
A. use the shorter rods from a b234 with the newer pistons with higher pin placement from a b235.
B. Have the crank reground to increase the stroke to bring the pistons back to the top of the deck. overbore if you like.
someone do the math, what would the max displacement be?????????
Old 04-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAERO View Post
How about this.........
A. use the shorter rods from a b234 with the newer pistons with higher pin placement from a b235.
B. Have the crank reground to increase the stroke to bring the pistons back to the top of the deck. overbore if you like.
someone do the math, what would the max displacement be?????????
get the crank re ground to increase the stroke? yeah, okay. your talking a whole different crank buddy, which cant even spin in the crankcase of the 2.0 block.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in