On its way. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 04:57 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
On its way.

Its been a long time since I have had a big box from Nick at GS sent my way.

I have been wanting to put on the 9-5 rear brake kit with slotted rotors for a very long time.

So as a slightly early Bday gift from my mom and myself it has been purchased.

I am pysched to see the results. I don't think there are that many Viggens running around with this setup yet so I will do a write up once they are on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #2

They're great....

The price drop has made them even better for folks who don't have the time to source a set of Aero calipers....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-21-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
TSLMember

Jameson,
I've had them on my Vig for about a year now...you will love them. I found the car to be much more stable durring hard braking and nosediving is almost eliminated. Durring past Saabtoberfests, my brakes would usually get a bit scary, but this year it was night and day, brakes were great all day and i can attribute much of that to the upgraded rears. I highly reccomend these to anyone replacing rear brake components.

\'02-9-3 SE-ex-wife took it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\'03-9-5 Aero Wagon
"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

Old 03-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJViggen View Post
Jameson,
I've had them on my Vig for about a year now...you will love them. I found the car to be much more stable durring hard braking and nosediving is almost eliminated. Durring past Saabtoberfests, my brakes would usually get a bit scary, but this year it was night and day, brakes were great all day and i can attribute much of that to the upgraded rears. I highly reccomend these to anyone replacing rear brake components.
You sound like the perfect person to have an install day with.

Any chance of getting together so I don't have to deal with having work done by an out of state dealer?

I don't trust myself to do it 100% on my own and with the limited tools I have at home.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
TSLMember

Sure, sounds good to me....i have all the tools....don't give the Vig to a dealer . It was a pretty easy job. PM me and we can set something up.

\'02-9-3 SE-ex-wife took it

\'03-9-5 Aero Wagon
"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson
Old 03-21-2008, 06:37 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Sure, sounds good to me....i have all the tools....don't give the Vig to a dealer . It was a pretty easy job. PM me and we can set something up.
Sounds good. I will treat ya to lunch and beer for the space and tools/experience help.

I will PM you once I know the date it will arrive. Hopefully we can find a nice 50+ degree Saturday or Sunday.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:39 AM   #7

Help it along by PB Blaster-ing the connectors to the hardlines.....
Old 03-21-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Its pretty straightforward. About the only problems you might have are rusty brake lines.

Im or email me if yo get stuck. I will be around the computer not much else to do when cant stand having my foot down.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 03-21-2008, 06:45 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Help it along by PB Blaster-ing the connectors to the hardlines.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Its pretty straightforward. About the only problems you might have are rusty brake lines.

Im or email me if yo get stuck. I will be around the computer not much else to do when cant stand having my foot down.
I have been pretty lucky so far.

Since owning the car with 18k and having limited winters pretty much nothing has put up too much of a fight being removed.

I didn't even have to use anything on the rear sway bar.

But that was 35k and 1-2 winters ago.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
I didn't even have to use anything on the rear sway bar.

You suck......

I got a face full of rust flakes.....
Old 03-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Jameson,
I've had them on my Vig for about a year now...you will love them. I found the car to be much more stable durring hard braking and nosediving is almost eliminated.
How is nose diving eliminated?

Is there now more bias/proportioning towards the rear?
Old 03-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
How is nose diving eliminated?

Is there now more bias/proportioning towards the rear?
I'd like to say the bias is the same, it's just that the rear brakes "get more done" with the same amount of bias.

If you put the same amount of pressure on a larger diameter rotor it will stop harder.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #13
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Jameson, DO you have the stainless lines already? If not now would be the perfect time for it seeing as how your going to have everything apart.

Not that you will need more then the two sets of hands you guys already have... But I'm only like 3 mins from NJViggen and am always up for some wrenching. And if doing a full fluid flush I have the motive power bleeder which makes the job even easier then it already is.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
sounds like a sound idea. do it all at once and take some pictures for us
Old 03-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
Jameson, DO you have the stainless lines already? If not now would be the perfect time for it seeing as how your going to have everything apart.

Not that you will need more then the two sets of hands you guys already have... But I'm only like 3 mins from NJViggen and am always up for some wrenching. And if doing a full fluid flush I have the motive power bleeder which makes the job even easier then it already is.
Tempting.

But I don't want to touch the fronts since everything there is still new.

I also busted out $550 for the rears already. Kind of tapped out since $2g's of rent is spoken for in the next week or so

Awesome, thanks for the offer. I will PM you once we have info.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #16
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Your birthday is coming up... Gotta be someone else you can petition for an early b-day gift of stainless brake lines and some ATE super blue...
Old 03-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

Nose diving shouldn't be affected by brakes. A reduction in nose diving just comes from a stiffer front suspension. Unless the Viggen has electronic brake force distribution, brake bias is increased to the rear with this kit, which is good for brake performance on most road cars, but the safety margin against brake-induced oversteer is decreased. This might be bad during adverse driving conditions.

Braking performance is increased since the fronts do less work to stop the car, increasing the time before fade sets in. The upgrade set is also vented to reduce fade some more. The only reason you might get reduced stopping distance is that the stock brake setup most likely uses 100% front tire grip during threshold stopping, but the rear tires still have grip in reserve. Increasing rear brake force will utilize this available grip.

If the factory brake setup is already optimized (as on an Acura RSX Type-S, for example) brake upgrades do not decrease stopping distances as much as they increase fade endurance. (Sport Compact Car)
Old 03-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #18
Elder

Brakes will be in next week.

I am going to call Nick and see if he can make any kind of package discount if I throw in the stainless lines. Expect a call from me on Monday Nick T

Old 04-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #19
Elder

Brakes AND brake lines were shipped today.

Any idea where(hopefully chainstores) I can get the ATE Super Blue and how much of it(1 bottle ?) do I need?

I will begin sending PM's this week to SRP and Todd about setting up an install day at Todd's house

Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #20
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

eeuroparts sell it. Otherwise you need to goto a tuner type motorsport shop. Autozones an the like dont carry that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in