pics of ceramic coated manifold - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 07:26 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

pics of ceramic coated manifold

here they are there are before and after pics there http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/578615/5
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2004, 08:23 PM   #2
Elder

looks kewl - kinda Battle ship grey like in color - but none-the less - good look!
for your repair needs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:42 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
looks good and i am jealous! so did you have them blasted then painted/coated them yourself or paid to get it done.....howmuch?

Old 12-21-2004, 02:48 PM   #4

my pops did it all for me at his work... total cost was $25 for the material/coating
Old 12-22-2004, 10:21 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Ric, I hope you're getting your Dad something cool for Chrismas!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #6

here's a pic of it cured on the car
Old 01-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
Elder

hmm looks stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:26 AM   #8

lol well the pic really doesnt do it justice does there's a huge glare
lemme go see if i can play with the lighting
pictures honestly dont do it justice.. i cant describe it

its real dirty too.... but u get the idea... if u could only see it in person....
Old 01-07-2005, 10:51 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Looks good. I was looking into Jet Coating for mine but it may be a little too pricey to do these days. How long did it take you to do the ceramic coating on it and where did you get your supplies for it?

Old 01-07-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
Elder

So can you now drive your vehicle for an hour and then place the palms of your hands on the exhaust manifold?

Old 01-07-2005, 11:06 AM   #11

lmfao... rob no u cant... this is the way i look at it.. this paint is meant to withstand temps up to 2000 degrees... ok cool

well no if u think about the difference that coating should create it goes like this... there should b i believe roughly 200 degree difference in temp 1 inch away from the manifold..... so if the temp is 1400 degrees then the temp 1 inch above would be 1200 so theres no way i am touching it to check.. lol

steve i got my coating from techline coatings, and my father had it sandblasted then cleaned it coated it baked it at 500 degrees... the only problem is our manifolds get sooooo hot that it actually bakes off extra paint, which results with a look like mine.. which i personally like the wy it looks.. it is a satiny titanium finish which u have to see in person i guess cuz my camera sux
Old 01-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #12

Looks pretty good, Rico.

When did you bake the finish on? I thought your car was off the road for the winter? I'd love to get that done, but a 3" DP has to come first!
Old 01-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #13

it was baked at my father's work.. then i drove the car round the block several times ... i parked it and repeated for like a week... to make sure it cured fully...

here's a pic of the one i did for perkj

i still have some coating left... i am not sure how many more manifolds it will cover but o well we will see i want to coat my turbo exhaust side...
Old 01-07-2005, 01:07 PM   #14
Flirting With TSL Addiction

looks good .....can't wait to get it!
Old 01-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
I think that the Jet coating does more for heat reduction I think but I like the ceramic coated manifold look. I used to have a ceramic coated header for my Saturn that used to crack the coating alot on it. Fortunatly it was made by Hotshot performace and they replaced it for free 3 times for me.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:07 PM   #16

i dont think that jet hot coating can tolerate the heat our cars produce though.. i could be wrong but i am pretty sure bout this

edit : i stand corrected "JET-HOT 2000 - Formulated for very high temperatures, this rugged matte-gray coating protects substrates up to 2,450F, heat levels sometimes encountered in Rodding and Off-Road applications"

here is the coating i used
"Extreme temperature exhaust system coating.
Available in several colors (see below)
Reduces underhood temperatures, reduces exhaust manifold surface temperatures
Improve exhaust gas velocity, increase H.P.
Air drying, requires no baking
Withstands 2000f temperatures "
Old 01-09-2005, 12:15 AM   #17
SAAB Road Master

If you used the coating which does not require baking, I would be highly suspicious of the claims it makes. Ever spray-on air-dry coating I've tried turned white and just went blaaaah and flaked off, even on N/A headers! I also doubt it reduces heat as much as the JetHot counterparts. But you could always get out the ray-tech gun on prove that wrong!

Adrian~
Old 01-09-2005, 06:21 AM   #18

well no i actually baked this coating on to the part... not just sprayed on
i alos thought it funny that it didnt need to bake... then when i actually received it and read the instructions alll of a sudden it said it needed to be baked... so we pre-baked, and baked then cool then bake again at a higher temp, then place on the car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in