Weight Loss - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Weight Loss

i've been interested in shedding some weight from my 01' 9-3 5 door. anyone know what they weigh stock, also have any of you guys lost a good amount of weight? if so what did you do? i've removed random odds and ends that i didn't need, and prob lost 50 lbs. been thinkin of lightweight battery and driver seat, any other advice???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
Elder

How much do you weigh?

What wheels do you currently have on it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
Elder

If you have leather power seats you could retrofit in the cloth manual seats. You could also remove the other seats.

How much power do you have currently? Does your AC work?

Unless you are willing to compromise safety and the integrity of the car structure there isn't much to be removed beyond the interior, AC and spare tire. What have you removed already?

I can't tell you all how much I wish I had the photo off my expired Kodak Rasy share site... but when I bought my totaled 96 900 back from the insurance I took the hatch, seats but drivers, hood, pass. door, and everything else easily accesible out. I took it for a spin down the road I was so shocked by the difference. That stripped shell was better at everything, accel. braking, handling. It was so much fun!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
How much do you weigh?

What wheels do you currently have on it?
good point i'm 6' 4" like 240 lbs. i could stand to lose a few, but it's easier now to just take stuff off the car
Old 03-07-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
SAABeginner

my car has stock power it's a base 2.0 t, and my ac doesn't work, but i don't know how to remove it and put a new belt on, i have stock 15" 5 spoke rims, i want some new ones but they won't get much lighter than that.

i already removed

antenna mast & motor
headlight wipers & motors
rear wiper & motor
onstar antenna & transmitter
hood insulation and rear insulation
mudflaps
spare & tools
Old 03-07-2008, 07:03 AM   #6
JK
Elder

There is quite a bit of sound deadening in the car, behind the door panels, under the carpet, etc.

I would probably never go overboard ditching equippment in a daily driver, but you can always loose all interior trim and headliner with probably weighs well over 100lbs combined, maybe more.

The AC stuff weighs over 50lbs I'm sure. Window glass is very weighty, but pretty necessary unless you have big $$$ to spend on Lexan. Sunroof and assy is quite a bit of weight up high on the car, but its also structural, so bracing aould have to be welded in place in addition to the hole being welded up with new sheet metal.

The sky is almost the limit, but very soon you will be driving around in a very loud and drafty car.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Lightweight battery, relocated to the trunk. you can shave 30lbs off the front end by doing that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
Why not just make some more power and throw a koni kit at it. I bet it will be faster, and handle better than you trying to save 20 lbs by removing comfort things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Add lightness.

Adding power and better suspension components is all fine and good...but you'd be amazed at the difference removing 100 pounds from a car's mass is. Power to weight ratio improvements are great, but by losing weight you improve that as well, plus the shorter stopping distances, and better lateral g numbers. Plus lightening costs next to nothing but time, once you've done it, then add the power and suspension and you're in a whole new league.

It sounds like creature comforts are of little importance to him.

Unsprung weight is the real enemy, though...the lightest wheel and tire combo you can run without sacrificing grip is a huge benefit.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
SAAB Road Master

Has anyone compared the numbers on Saab wheels, factory and aftermarket, with respect to weight?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdegracia View Post
Has anyone compared the numbers on Saab wheels, factory and aftermarket, with respect to weight?
My 17 inch stock viggen wheels are supposedly lightweight. I prefer the look of the propellershaped 2001 93 aero wheels but kept my viggen one cause the dealer said that they lighter. Would be interesting to weigh them and see.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
You ditched your wipers in a daily driver? I havent even ditched my wipers. I thought I was the crazy one.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to jdinneen
lol you guys would have loved my old '00 cavalier z24, i had a carbon fiber hood and pretty much the whole interior would be stripped out for a week before and after track days. and the two times i took it to the track, it was rained out! but I had weighed just about every bit of that car and I found that the extra floor mats and such, spare tire and assembley, trunk lining, rear seats (flimsy pieces of cardboard and pillow), would come to about 150lbs and you could feel the differences. I'd never do it to my saab for 2 reasons: 1) i finally have a nice car and want to keep it that way, everyone knows cavs are beaters so it wasn't a big deal 2) things probably take time to reassemble whereas in the cav everything just clicked into place and popped out when i need it to.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsw View Post
i already removed

headlight wipers & motors
rear wiper & motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDynamic View Post
You ditched your wipers in a daily driver? I havent even ditched my wipers. I thought I was the crazy one.
Headlight wipers.

You're not crazy, just can't read

Tboy
Old 03-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #15
Elder

What about:

All the power window motors and linkage except driver door,
all power locks,
sunroof motor/gearbox and linkage.

My 01' SE 5-door weighed exactly 3100 lbs. on the scale at the dragstrip. Weighed it without me in it, about 1/8 tank gas, no spare or tools.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #16
JZW
Elder

I think the lowest I got my vert was 2950lbs without me in it, but I weigh 200lbs So that puts me at 3150lbs, that sux...

John
Old 03-12-2008, 05:09 AM   #17

If you're looking to drag race you'll hook way better just by removing weight from the rear.

The back seats are pretty heavy, so is the back hatch. A side exit exhaust will save weight and help keep weight off the rear.

I'd bet that it'd be pretty easy to make your own plexi/lexan rear windows with a few heat guns and some time.

If you're really gutting the car just buy some cut off wheels are remove anything metal that doesn't look structural.

There's lots of plastic crap behind the front bumper you don't need, and the foglights are pretty useless so you might as well ditch them. There's a bunch of sound deadening on the firewall that could go also.

I don't think I'd relocate the battery on a Saab if I was drag racing it, but it would help through the twisties.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:15 AM   #18
ERP

Send a message via AIM to ERP
FYI, the NG900 front seats weight 58 lbs each, and the Viggen front seats weight 60 lbs each. Just happened to measure mine last night. They are also realy easy to remove, takes about 5 minutes to remove one.
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
Old 03-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #19
JZW
Elder

Good info Eric, I know Mike S. listed the back seats too, I thought they were around 50lbs too. So with the rear seat out and the passenger, that is close to 100-120#, I could lose my front seats and rear seats and put in one light race seat to drive in and then maybe have a wash for the roll bar!

IF I race the ng900 this year, it will have to have a roll bar, its a good bit faster now and with my last run being 4 tenths under the roll bar rules, its time to roll bar it up or put the ng900 2.3 racing engine in my 1995 cse...

HHHHHMMMM, What to do, it only takes work

John
Old 03-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #20

i weighed my stock 5 spoke 16" rims and my bbs rkII's but they both had tires on them. i checked out the tire manufacturers specs on the tires and got the weights and heres what i came out with.

stock 16" 5 spokes - weighed 43lbs with tires. tires weighed 22lbs so wheel = 21lbs

bbs rkII's - 45lbs with tires. tires weighed 23 lbs, so the wheel weighs 22lbs

these might not be exact but i got the tire weights from the manufacturer so in theory they should be correct. so i subtracted those tire weights and got the "wheel weight"

Last edited by sleet; 03-12-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in