Viggen or Speed3 ? - Page 4 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #61
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
AND........ The SC answer.

Get a C900!

hahahahaah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #62
Elder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #63
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Buy a Viggen for 10k, buy 10k in parts. That seems the obvious answer to me..
Let's face it, you're not gonna stay stock very long no matter which car you pick so find a nice Viggen, pay $10-12k for it, and splurge on it. You still won't match the price of a SP3. You could easily hit 400hp with the money you'll save.
Not that the SP3 isn't a nice car, I wouldn't mind having one, but I would just buy the Viggen. Don't you love the feeling of performance parts arriving at your door?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #64
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
Buy a Viggen for 10k, buy 10k in parts. That seems the obvious answer to me..
Let's face it, you're not gonna stay stock very long no matter which car you pick so find a nice Viggen, pay $10-12k for it, and splurge on it. You still won't match the price of a SP3. You could easily hit 400hp with the money you'll save.
Not that the SP3 isn't a nice car, I wouldn't mind having one, but I would just buy the Viggen. Don't you love the feeling of performance parts arriving at your door?
Once you buy all your suspension parts LSD and 6 speed plus time installing it. I'm sure you will be saying to yourself i should have just gotten the MS3 just to get the Viggen on equal playing field.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #65
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4_1man View Post
Once you buy all your suspension parts LSD and 6 speed plus time installing it. I'm sure you will be saying to yourself i should have just gotten the MS3 just to get the Viggen on equal playing field.
+1

Glad someone gets it.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #66
Elder

Quote:
Don't you love the feeling of performance parts arriving at your door?
Its been a little while... most of my packages have been maintenance items from Eeuro...

But YES!!! I love that feeling!

I also enjoy giving NickT at www.genuinesaab.com my money in return for such things. Sorry, I can't do it more often!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #67
Elder

If you're thinking of modding whichever car you eventually decide-upon, you'll run into problems with the stock direct injection fuel injectors on the Speed3. Not that a Viggen is the easiest car to mod...

Actually, have you looked for a new Speed6? They're out of production now, but they were another screaming bargain. The dealers were having trouble selling them so they were discounted like crazy about 3-4 months ago when I was considering on. It took a little to find them, but you could get a nice one for only 1-2k over the Speed3 price...$23-24k. I'd bet if you put on a nationwide search you could still find a few sitting on lots. 6-sp, AWD, real nice car.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #68
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post

Actually, have you looked for a new Speed6? They're out of production now, but they were another screaming bargain. The dealers were having trouble selling them so they were discounted like crazy about 3-4 months ago when I was considering on. It took a little to find them, but you could get a nice one for only 1-2k over the Speed3 price...$23-24k. I'd bet if you put on a nationwide search you could still find a few sitting on lots. 6-sp, AWD, real nice car.
Wow. That is a more appealing choice to me. The Mazda Speed3 is so close aesthetically but really just falls short IMHO. The speed6 however is just awesome.

Champ... RE the Cobalt SS. What does those cost new? Has anyone driven one?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #69
Elder

I think they look good too....from the front.

From the rear though they just look a little awkward to me. Heck of a car for the fire sale pricing they had though. Viggen Dave actually turned me on to them back when he was deciding whether to mod and keep his Viggen or find something new. We went to one of those Mazda events where they let you rip around in their cars for a few hours. They handle pretty well and have decent power. Same engine as the Speed3's though with a few more lb's and AWD.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 03-06-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #70
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by amish_geek View Post
AND........ The SC answer.

Get a C900!
Pffffttt.... Didn't you read my last post? Rusty C900 = Pussy Magnet.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #71
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Let's face it, you're not gonna stay stock very long no matter which car you pick
Do you personally know the OP? Do you know how much interest they have in modding? The GS intake in my Viggen is the biggest car mod I've done in my life. Not everyone shares that mentality.

The Viggen is a decent car for what it is,but if I had the extra cash, I certainly would have considered the MS3 over it. Besides the reasons already mentioned, it'd be nice to have the reliability of a new car, and the extra assurance of a warranty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #72
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4_1man View Post
Not necessarily. Suspension components combined should be short of 2k. If you really want an LSD and the 6 speed, then you can have it but what's the point when there's been evidence of 12's on the track with the stock tranny and no LSD. Ask John and Marko about that.
I want my car to be fast in a straight line. My Saab. If I really wanted to be on an equal playing field on the strip as a Z06/STi/whatever, then I should've just went out and bought one? I don't think so.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #73
Elder

Quote:
I want my car to be fast in a straight line.
yawn.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #74
Pat
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Well then let me change my vote to Viggen since Pat owns one!
I didn't mean it that way. It was just my way of saying I own it, so naturally, I'm partial/biased to it. It also has an aftermarket bumper to bumper warranty, so that doesn't factor into my decision.

Plus, Mazda's in general have never done much for me.

I'm a euro whore through and through. The only exception to that rule being the NSX.
'00 9-3 SE HOT - sold
'99 9-3 - Sold

Last edited by Pat; 03-06-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #75
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
But if I had to have a new car the MS-3 is perferable to anything Saab has new.
Amen....sad but so true!
Old 03-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #76
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
yawn.
Meaning?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #77
Elder

Quote:
Meaning?
Going fast in a straight line is child's play.

And it's boring.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #78
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Do you personally know the OP? Do you know how much interest they have in modding? The GS intake in my Viggen is the biggest car mod I've done in my life. Not everyone shares that mentality.

The Viggen is a decent car for what it is,but if I had the extra cash, I certainly would have considered the MS3 over it. Besides the reasons already mentioned, it'd be nice to have the reliability of a new car, and the extra assurance of a warranty.
Did you see who I was talking to? Are you sure you clearly read what I said? Was I talking to the original owner? I was responding to someone who mentioned LSD and a 6 speed. Whoever is swapping for one of those obviously has some interest in modding and modification. And what's this section of the forum called again? Hmm..I think it was something like..Performance Modifications? You're right, he obviously has a low interest in modification if he's debating between a MSP3 and a Viggen.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #79
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
Going fast in a straight line is child's play.

And it's boring.
Hahaha...you're right. I think I'll sell my Saab and buy a Pinto
Old 03-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #80
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
MS3 is what the Vig can be w/ lots of time/money thrown at it. Then still it won't handle as well. Simple fact the MS3 is he superior car.

If you have to much time/money on your hands or you can't stop "modding" I can see why you would choose the Vig. It just doesn't make sense to me. Because I am not that kind of car guy. I mod but I also know a car is only as good as its platform.

On a side note the Cobalt SS just has a hard time getting my blood pumping. I will have to see the new one in person to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in