Fuel Consumption - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Fuel Consumption

I have a '97 900SE 2.0 Turbo 4dr.. I'm wondering what kind of mpg's folks get around town. I'm in NY, Long Island, about 40miles East of Mid Town NYC. So traffic does get very heavy here. My milage, local driving is like 12mpg.. That's going 6 to 10 blocks, shut it off, 5 min. later, start and go a short distance. Like that, alot of short trips, alot of traffic lights. @12 mpg sound right? Seems low, but maybe? Hwy, say 60mph I'll get way better 26+ mpg. I always use 93octane, don't beat on it. Another thing I notice is that these 16inch rims are not realistic for beat up winter city roads. You feel every bump with this car already. Got a feeling sooner or later....I'm gonna bash a dent in one of them.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

That mileage sounds about right to me. Possibly try filters and plugs and it may get a little better.

As far as the wheels go try getting a hold of a set of 15" wheels. The ride will soften up a bit and the car will handle snow a lot better than with the 16's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1979 99 GL "99 Super"
1999 S10 ZR2
1991 Mazda Miata
78' Turbo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

I would stick with the wheels you have and simply get something with a larger sidewall.
You could always lower the tire pressure a tad also.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I'd say thats about right as well.

My 96 900 does about 20-22 mixed city/rural and 25-26 highway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Yeah, I get around 20mpg around downtown SLC. Half of my driving is going up a steep ass hill, too, because that's where my dorm is.
Back in Kansas City, I used to get 27mpg with about 70highway/30city driving on a stock ECU. Stage 3 brought it up to 30mpg for that same mixture, and I got 32mpg going from Kansas City to SLC averaging about 75-80mph.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Pat
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Pat
Goodness. I'm glad Va Bch isnt as congested as your location. Its congested, but not to the point i get 12mpg.

I average about 20mpg in the city if I'm driving civil, 16 or so if I'm driving like an ass. On the highway going 75-80mph I average at about 32mpg, give or take a tiny bit.

I reset my SID display for average MPG after every fill up, and typically, total average mpg ends up being around 24-25mpg.
'00 9-3 SE HOT - sold
'99 9-3 - Sold
Old 03-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
TSLMember

I reset my sid a while back and it has taken it for ever to come up. The first tank of gas I averaged 16 on the sid, and now this one is at 24. Why does it take so long?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
Elder

Also, unless you're running a ECU that's calling for it, I wouldn't use 93 ocatne. Just use regular - save some $$.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
I run premium, and my 9-3 thanks me when I smash the pedal.

My bike, my car and my fiancee's car all run premium. fun.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 03-13-2008, 05:05 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
I'm averaging 33mpg between city and highway driving. City driving being my 8-block drive from my house to work in a small town, or driving up & down the hills in Duluth, and this is with me boosting hard up the hills in Duluth too!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonBeef View Post
I run premium, and my 9-3 thanks me when I smash the pedal.

My bike, my car and my fiancee's car all run premium. fun.
It's fine to run them, but as I said there's not really much benefit to it unless you're running higher boost i.e. a tuned ECU. Higher octane is mostly just higher resistance to knock, unless you're going up to 100octane+.
Either way, it's your car. You can run what you please.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
My 96 900 does about 20-22 mixed city/rural and 25-26 highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I average about 20mpg in the city if I'm driving civil, 16 or so if I'm driving like an ass. On the highway going 75-80mph I average at about 32mpg, give or take a tiny bit.

I reset my SID display for average MPG after every fill up, and typically, total average mpg ends up being around 24-25mpg.
Yikes, I get an average of 29mpg after resetting the SID and driving for an entire gas tank (rural/city). I've seen 32-33mpg on the highway in the aero, one time i averaged 35 on a 3 hour trip up north just to see how good I could get it. The lowest I've ever recorded was 26, and that was after driving it like an asshat for a few hundred miles.

The vert gets even better mileage, with an average of about 32mpg. 35 on the highway is typical (top up) and take away 2-4mpg for top down driving :P.

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amish_geek View Post
I'm averaging 33mpg between city and highway driving. City driving being my 8-block drive from my house to work in a small town, or driving up & down the hills in Duluth, and this is with me boosting hard up the hills in Duluth too!
The sid will lie with stage 5 due to modified fuel trims. I thought I was getting 45mpg once then I realized that was ridiculous.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
It's fine to run them, but as I said there's not really much benefit to it unless you're running higher boost i.e. a tuned ECU. Higher octane is mostly just higher resistance to knock, unless you're going up to 100octane+.
Either way, it's your car. You can run what you please.
As has been explained by TSLers to me. The trionic system will boost till it either hits its boost level or knock, if you hit knock first, you wont get full boost. Higher octane = higher boost, even on stock ecu.

at least thats what I have been told in other threads, and really, when I ran regular for a while it was fine, but after I ran a few tanks of premium, i noticed I hit the red every time in 3rd.

As for the bike, it was designed for regular leaded fuel, and "needs" premium to make up for the lack of lead in this stuff.

Wife ovlov's owners manual says, "minimum of regular, suggested premium."

as for gas milage:

Saab: low of 21, high of 35. highway average of 30ish. City average of 24ish.

Motorcycle: Low of 25, high of 51. Highway average of 40. City unknown.

ovlov: 29-30ish as far as I know, I dont drive it.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD

1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650

Last edited by PoisonBeef; 03-13-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonBeef View Post
As has been explained by TSLers to me. The trionic system will boost till it either hits its boost level or knock, if you hit knock first, you wont get full boost. Higher octane = higher boost, even on stock ecu.

at least thats what I have been told in other threads, and really, when I ran regular for a while it was fine, but after I ran a few tanks of premium, i noticed I hit the red every time in 3rd.

As for the bike, it was designed for regular leaded fuel, and "needs" premium to make up for the lack of lead in this stuff.

Wife ovlov's owners manual says, "minimum of regular, suggested premium."
Higher octane = higher boost up til fuel cut, as you said. The same result can be had with an MBC. If you're not looking to go down that road then premium's fine. As for the bike and Volvo, I don't know anything about them.
Hmm..now that I think about it, though, I think my gas mileage was slightly lower when I ran premium, compared to regular..not by much, maybe 1mpg..
Who knows. Didn't have a boost gauge at the time I tried that, I just knew it was more than I wanted to pay so I went back to my 87
Old 03-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #16
Elder

most of the time, 87 vs 91 is 10-15 cents per gal. difference here.

on 10 gallons thats only a buck or two, why not?

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD

1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 PM   #17
Elder

I suppose..but for me, a buck or two a fillup is dinner on some days.
College stinks.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:33 AM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
The sid will lie with stage 5 due to modified fuel trims. I thought I was getting 45mpg once then I realized that was ridiculous.
Hmm... odd....

My maths of mileage driven per gallons filled matches the SID.

I thought the SID's MPG was speed/mileage/consumption using the same sensors as the DTE.

Modified fuel maps don't change how the SID reads the level of gas left in the tank, does it?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:44 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amish_geek View Post
Hmm... odd....

My maths of mileage driven per gallons filled matches the SID.

I thought the SID's MPG was speed/mileage/consumption using the same sensors as the DTE.

Modified fuel maps don't change how the SID reads the level of gas left in the tank, does it?
I'm not sure what the SID reads, but this is what the tuner said. I haven't looked at my SID MPG since it said i was getting 45 when i cleared it on the highway.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:58 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
I'm not sure what the SID reads, but this is what the tuner said. I haven't looked at my SID MPG since it said i was getting 45 when i cleared it on the highway.
When I was 100% stock, I cleared my SID on the highway with the cruise set at 60. I was getting 45mpg on the SID as well. MPG is averaged out over the last 17 minutes of travel IIRC, and when you clear it, there isn't 17 minutes worth of data yet to get a solid average.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in