newbie ECU tune and Down Pipe questions - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Question newbie ECU tune and Down Pipe questions

Pardon my retarded questions but I still have these question after digging around on a few web sites the past few days.

1.When a tuner like GS or SQR make a tune for the ECU, dose the send in ECU have to be for my specific car T7 01 Viggen? (I would like to keep my original ecu to switch back) Or can it be any T7 ECU (93 and/or 95?)? (I know GS will provide one for $200) Do they just completely overwrite the data on it, or just change certain things?

2. Also, GS will use the connector number to ensure "plug and play" so that the alarm works. Dose SQR do this too?

I'm really only thinking about just doing stage 2. I think that will be plenty enough with the new speeding = racing laws around here.

3. Or would I be better off just doing the GS DP v2 and leaving it at that?

I would like a little bit less turbo lag and from what I read that the DP will help lots with that but I will loose out on the top end. This true?

Engine mods I have so far:
GS Open intake
MP Intercooler
Saab Sport Exhaust

Thanks for any input!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
I view that whole "losing top end" thing as internet lore.

I love my 3" dp, and it made a world of difference.

I would do that just to lower exhaust temps, and make things a bit easier on your car.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
JK
Elder

has the downpipe issue been talked to death?

We've had people saying that a stock sized downpipe should make more power recently, and then people now claiming that you will loose power vs stock? I don't get it.

WIith T7, I can see the ECU adapting not not allowing as much of a gain, but I doubt you're going to see an apples to apples comarison that shows a 3" downpipe losing power vs stock - all variable constant.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Keep the downpipe worries to saabcentral, People think that loosing the punch after the lag is overcome means they lost power. No folks, you actually gained it sooner, and smoother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #5

Cool. I'm leaning toward the DP now.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Trollerator
Elder

mg_td, he was running his viggen with a 3" DP, mp IC, and remus catback and that thing was damn fast, no software.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 03-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
There are alot of ways to address tuning the ECU on the these cars. You can either go the route of a mailbox professional tune or you can venture to learn how to do it your self. The self tune method is really very easy now and is being done readily on other forums (ECUPROJECT.com)

Either way you go you are going to be thrilled with the outcome of the power.

The ECU that GS or SQR will send you is a standard stage tune that they input the TWICE information for and basically perform the marry operation for your car. As for a Swappable ECU the best bet is to buy a spare off EBAY (look up SAAB ECU and a seller names Toms Auto (something)) and you can grab one for $99 and it does not matter what year T7 or model T7 it came from for use as a core as the data will be fully overwritten by a tuner or by your when you self tune.

There are only certain areas of the ECU data that are actually changed with the tune which equate to about 10 maps or so but to do it effectivley the whole BIN file gets written to the ecu.

I would say you definatly want to address the DP issue prior to tuning though and if you are up to the task save some money and learn to tune the car yourself. There are lots of people (ie: Drew_in_houston) with great results (270+WHP) on self tunes that we can get you going for about $180 for the CANUSB adapter and the software is free to load and unload the files.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
Pardon my retarded questions but I still have these question after digging around on a few web sites the past few days.

1.When a tuner like GS or SQR make a tune for the ECU, dose the send in ECU have to be for my specific car T7 01 Viggen? (I would like to keep my original ecu to switch back) Or can it be any T7 ECU (93 and/or 95?)? (I know GS will provide one for $200) Do they just completely overwrite the data on it, or just change certain things?

2. Also, GS will use the connector number to ensure "plug and play" so that the alarm works. Dose SQR do this too?

I'm really only thinking about just doing stage 2. I think that will be plenty enough with the new speeding = racing laws around here.

3. Or would I be better off just doing the GS DP v2 and leaving it at that?

I would like a little bit less turbo lag and from what I read that the DP will help lots with that but I will loose out on the top end. This true?

Engine mods I have so far:
GS Open intake
MP Intercooler
Saab Sport Exhaust

Thanks for any input!
What are these new laws you have that says speeding is racing? What does that mean exactly? If you are speeding its considered racing?

John
Old 03-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #9

^ This new law is to target street racers. So now if you go 50km/h over the speed limit, or do stunt driving, racing, tailgate, weave thru traffic, or suspected of racing, they will impound your car on the spot for 7 days at your cost, suspend your license for 7 days, $2000 to $10,000 fine.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
^ This new law is to target street racers. So now if you go 50km/h over the speed limit, or do stunt driving, racing, tailgate, weave thru traffic, or suspected of racing, they will impound your car on the spot for 7 days at your cost, suspend your license for 7 days, $2000 to $10,000 fine.
Unless you are an old person, then you are exempt from this particular law apparently.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...ng-080221.html

Double standards are always nice I guess. One could call it "ageism"

Old 03-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #11

LOL. I know, I was so ever pissed when I read that the other day.

"However, he also said the street-racing law was not meant to be applied to seniors driving to a doctor's appointment."
Old 03-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
LOL. I know, I was so ever pissed when I read that the other day.

"However, he also said the street-racing law was not meant to be applied to seniors driving to a doctor's appointment."
Yea this is a whole 'nother thread though so let's not clutter up your nice one you have going

Old 03-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #13

Done and done, and I mean done. GS DP v2 has been ordered.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Sweet.

You are going to love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in