viggen trans/engine rebuild - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 04:01 AM   #1
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

viggen trans/engine rebuild

My car doesn't like to get into reverse & I figure when that get's fixed I might as well have my LSD thrown in. Anyone have any ideas on who I should have build the trans & also how much $$$ is it to have it done?

I am also debating on having pistons thrown in the car due to the weak viggen piston issues. What have people paid to have this done?

thanks

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 04:50 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to moose
https://saablink.net/forum/showthread...viggen+rebuild

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
gm

thanks.... never been good at that search stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
It is hard to quote since you never know what will be messed up inside and the parts from saab are so expensive.

We are working on an affordable bearing package. This will help some. I found arp bolts for the Diff less than half of factory.

I love my new gearbox with the update kit, some little fixes and the LSD..

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 03-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post

I love my new gearbox with the update kit, some little fixes and the LSD..
Still waiting on what these little fixes are. The tranny is apart now just waiting to get the update kit and LSD installed. What other little fixes are their before its thrown back together?

Feel free to update in other thread.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
gm

A friend/mechanic told me 30hrs to do the trans + parts, that remove it from my car-rebuild-install. He guessed $3500 by the time the trans was rebuilt, new clutch & whatever else was involved.

I asked him how much if he threw new pistons in the car & he stated about $1500 ish.. so around $5,000 total.

Definantly more then I want to spend on it, trying to see if there are other options....

Old 03-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
A friend/mechanic told me 30hrs to do the trans + parts, that remove it from my car-rebuild-install. He guessed $3500 by the time the trans was rebuilt, new clutch & whatever else was involved.

I asked him how much if he threw new pistons in the car & he stated about $1500 ish.. so around $5,000 total.

Definantly more then I want to spend on it, trying to see if there are other options....
Pull trans out yourself, send off for R&R, remove head and oil pan, unbolt rods and push out through top of block, put in new pistons and HG, put head and pan back on, put trans back in when it comes in.

You'd at least this way be only paying for the labor on the trans as well as all the parts.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post

The pistons at $1500 sounds a lot more reasonable than $3500 for the trans.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Do you actually have to take the Trans. apart to put an LSD in? Or do you only have to take the Final drive apart? I am planning on redoing my clutch this summer with my uncle who has a full shop. We are going to put in a new clutch, alum. flywheel, and the LSD. We are thinking that all we have to do is take the final drive apart and put the LSD in there. IF that is the case I won't get into the rest of the trans.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
Do you actually have to take the Trans. apart to put an LSD in? Or do you only have to take the Final drive apart? I am planning on redoing my clutch this summer with my uncle who has a full shop. We are going to put in a new clutch, alum. flywheel, and the LSD. We are thinking that all we have to do is take the final drive apart and put the LSD in there. IF that is the case I won't get into the rest of the trans.
the final drive coming out requires removing everything else as its pretty much the heart of the trans....so yes a full teardown is necessary.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Really? Because looking at it from underneath the Final drive looks to be a separate piece from the rest of the transmission. Or is that bump out towards the back of the car on the transmission not the final drive?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #12
Elder

the final drive is most definetly in the transmission, along with the differential, as it is on 99% of fwd cars (im not saying 100% becuase i dont want someone to say some obscure car) and cant be accesses without a full teardown

Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Full tear-down is necessary. Takes special tools. The biggest factory to durability is proper bearing preload on reassembly and setup.

|
|

Old 04-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Are there Saab trans specific tools? Or just trans specific tools? I know that if I get in there I need to do the update kit, new crush sleeve, new seals all around.. What else should I replace? Of course if I find any worn gears or other problems those should be replaced as well...
Old 04-02-2008, 03:36 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
Are there Saab trans specific tools?
yes, thats why you dont see many, if any people doing there own trans work.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:35 AM   #16
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Even some of the factory tools are not the best. We have made a few custom tools too. I will get a picture of some of the main ones one day.

|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in