Complications with creating a CAI - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
TSLMember

Complications with creating a CAI

I was thinking of making a CAI that goes down through the stock airbox tubing goes. Im thinking PVC would be appropriate since the temp would be hottest next to the turbo. (By Intake I mean after the MAF. Not from the turbo to the MAF

If not PVC, some metal tubing, but where would you purchase that?

Do you think there would be any major complications trying to do a custom job like this? I saw perkj's job ( https://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=433&page=3 ) and that looks great, but expensive.

Any thoughts are appreciated

Last edited by HOTiSO; 03-03-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #2

Ask if he still has his filter in that same position, and if not, then why not.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Go to SC and check Vigge's test results. It will pretty much tell you that spending all that time and effort is useless. But to each his own.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Ask if he still has his filter in that same position, and if not, then why not.
The answer is that its been in the same position since 07/01/2005, so going on 3 years. No issues at all, even with rain. One change I am in the process of making is going with a Amsoil "Oil-less" cone filter (https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx) vs. the K&N.....this filter is supposed to be in this week.
Its model number EAAU3051-EA which is the exact same dimentions as my current K&N RU-3580. ...with this change, the "oiled filter" fear will be stamped out completely.

x-VWer:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to ViggenStory
so this new filter gets out all the oil? and performs better?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViggenStory View Post
so this new filter gets out all the oil? and performs better?
Not sure what you mean about "gets out all the oil", but a K&N filter is considered a "wet" filter in that it must be oiled with speacial filter oil in order to trap dust particles. There is an unproven fear that this oil in some way can mess with the MAF Senor (oil goes from filter and catches on the sensor wires). This Amsoil filter is a "dry" filter, much like a paper filter and therefore this oil fear is no more.

x-VWer:

Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
Go to SC and check Vigge's test results. It will pretty much tell you that spending all that time and effort is useless. But to each his own.

I swear, it's like some people like to be wet blankets or something.

We have pretty much established that intakes to not do much of anything for our cars.

But you know what?

People like them because they sound neat, and it's an easy project.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #8

Ahh... Gotcha.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
I swear, it's like some people like to be wet blankets or something.

We have pretty much established that intakes to not do much of anything for our cars.

But you know what?

People like them because they sound neat, and it's an easy project.

My setup also allows for more room in the engine bay...for instance I can replace the serpentine belt without removing anything in the engine bay.

x-VWer:

Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #10

perkj what is ur cai made out of?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
The answer is that its been in the same position since 07/01/2005, so going on 3 years. No issues at all, even with rain.

Three small things:

a) Didn't Southern Cal endure a record drought that just ended this past winter?
b) Why put a filter that requires frequent cleaning in an area that's difficult to access?
c) Extending an air intake snorkel into an area where it could suck up water just isn't the smartest idea, even if nothing happens. It's like opening your car's gas tank filler cap and throwing lit matches toward it. Most would flicker out before reaching the filler hole. Others would bounce harmlessly off the fender. You might do it 5,000 times before one match stayed lit and was on target....and then....pffft.

You might roll through 5,000 puddles with that configuration and nothing may happen. The water level might not be high enough, or the suction might not take water high enough...until a time when you gun the car through a high puddle and...pffft.

Also....

That area behind the fog light already directs cool air up into the engine bay when the car is moving. Moving it a few inches lower might help slightly but only when you're at idle...
Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Three small things:

a) Didn't Southern Cal endure a record drought that just ended this past winter?
I live in Northern Cali...no drought here. additionally we just had some record storms.

Quote:
b) Why put a filter that requires frequent cleaning in an area that's difficult to access?
Only cleaned it 3 times so far....it doesn't get as dirty there as you'd think.

Quote:
c) Extending an air intake snorkel into an area where it could suck up water just isn't the smartest idea, even if nothing happens. It's like opening your car's gas tank filler cap and throwing lit matches toward it. Most would flicker out before reaching the filler hole. Others would bounce harmlessly off the fender. You might do it 5,000 times before one match stayed lit and was on target....and then....pffft

You might roll through 5,000 puddles with that configuration and nothing may happen. The water level might not be high enough, or the suction might not take water high enough...until a time when you gun the car through a high puddle and...pffft.
I'm not really dumb enough to dive my Viggen nose first into a deep puddle...that is what my Jeep Cherokee is for....I do avoid puddles with the Viggen without question all of the time (pre CAI and post CAI....I tend to baby her) You'd need a 10" deep puddle to reach that filter believe it or not

Quote:
Also....
That area behind the fog light already directs cool air up into the engine bay when the car is moving. Moving it a few inches lower might help slightly but only when you're at idle...
Not on a Viggen...its underside plastic air deflectors route the air straight back

x-VWer:

Last edited by perkj; 03-04-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Three small things:

c) Extending an air intake snorkel into an area where it could suck up water just isn't the smartest idea, even if nothing happens. It's like opening your car's gas tank filler cap and throwing lit matches toward it. Most would flicker out before reaching the filler hole. Others would bounce harmlessly off the fender. You might do it 5,000 times before one match stayed lit and was on target....and then....pffft.

Also....

Why not just avoid deep puddles? It also helps when you are going slow before enough pressure is made to get the air into the upper section. It did seem to help some on my car. Most street/strip cars with custom intakes end up putting them in similar low postion. The lower you are, the denser the air is and it does seem to help some in my opinion.

John
Old 03-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #14

ng900,234R-gt3071 .86ar, p/p head, ETS IC, JSP ECU, w/m injection, 264 cams, spec-flywheel.

damn hella mods... john...
Old 03-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #15

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
Why not just avoid deep puddles? It also helps when you are going slow before enough pressure is made to get the air into the upper section. It did seem to help some on my car. Most street/strip cars with custom intakes end up putting them in similar low postion. The lower you are, the denser the air is and it does seem to help some in my opinion.

John

John,

Being two feet closer to the pavement isn't going to help density; in fact, on a hot day, the air closer to the pavement is hotter than air higher up because of ground radiation.

Perkj, good luck, man.....
Old 03-05-2008, 07:29 AM   #16
JZW
Elder

Its hella fast, I just wonder how long it will last at its current power level, its pretty insane at the moment. Blew up the power steering pump a few days ago and thought it was engine oil from the motor, but oil pressure was fine.

It would only spew fluid above 4500rpm in full boost, otherwise, it did not leak a drop!!!

Replaced it with a rebuilt one and whalla, no more power steering fluid all over the place! Took 4 cans of brake clean to get that sucker clean on the passenger side...

John
Old 03-05-2008, 07:32 AM   #17
JZW
Elder

Quote:
John,

Being two feet closer to the pavement isn't going to help density; in fact, on a hot day, the air closer to the pavement is hotter than air higher up because of ground radiation.

Perkj, good luck, man.....
Learn from the best

http://www.nordictuning.com/img/9-5_20t_rs28.jpg

John
Old 03-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post

Not on a Viggen...its underside plastic air deflectors route the air straight back
Look at your car again.

There's a slot cut above the passenger side fog light.

This lets in cool air from the area of highest pressure -- the leading edge of the nose. That air flows into the space behind the bumper cover where your filter currently sits.

The CAI pipe leading down to it passes through a D-shaped hole that was designed to let that cool air up into the engine compartment.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post

Awesome...

next time I'm driving above the Arctic Circle, I'll know where to put my filter so the throttle body doesn't freeze....
Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
Mine is no longer down low on my 9-5 for the winter after I ran into some complications with the filter being caked in snow a few weeks ago. All this ended up killing a MAF, and I had to make some reverse engineering to make it fit up in the engine bay to make it to my destination. Thankfully no bigger destruction happened with the bad MAF in there until I could get home to my spare. Here is where the filter, which is pretty beat up from being shoved into a place that it doesn't belong currently resides until I can get home to get my stock (cut up) airbox back in there as a holding tank for the open filter for the winter.

I will be finding a better solution next winter. I am thinking that since I de-tune it for the winter, I have two options:
1) Use a stock airbox and snorkel (probably the best option).
2) Get a smaller open filter, and make some piping to go from the maf to the inlet pipe and smack the filter on the end of the maf like the setup above, but make it fit a little bit better and not as force-fit.

When summer comes around, the filter will be back to where it should reside down low, and I will be crazy careful around puddles. But for the slush/snow, it will be covered up and safe for the rest of the winter.

Take all this for what you want as you 9-3 guys normally have it up in the engine bay and now want it down lower to the ground...

My thoughts are to make the air get up towards the filter more effectively, rather than moving the filter down. You have less chance of water induction and serious damage.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6

Last edited by StX221; 03-05-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in