Descreened MAF review - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
Elder

Descreened MAF review

Well I took the old MAF and punched out the screen. Ive heard speculations that it creates a certain turbulence and it needs the screen. WRONG.

The turbo spools up A LOT faster, intake noise is intensified, deeper exhaust note.

There are absolutely no negative effects.

I recommend anyone with a MAF to try this, really makes a difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
There are absolutely no negative effects.
and I suppose you have absolute no readings from AFR etc. to secure you self that no "negative" effects did not take place?

But as I promised earlier I will do the test run with MAF both with screen and without to see if any effects happens in the +400whp class. I do now have a MAF sensor body which I can use for these test, but the winter weather is limiting. However dont expect much, since I did not "feel" or "see" any change when I compelety removed the whole MAF from my car since i dont need it with Nira...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Doesn't removing the screen change the metering ability of the MAF?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Elder

It didnt hurt performance, no fuel cut, CELs, powerband didnt change at all.

Ok maybe I shouldnt have said there are absolutely no negative effects but from the difference I saw today was only positive.

My opinion is that Saab put a screen on it to reduce intake noise, just like every other part on the car to try and eliminate engine sounds.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
Doesn't removing the screen change the metering ability of the MAF?
You could also think of the issue this way, why is the screen there to begin with?
If there would not be a reason for its precence why would Bosch throw money in a well to put it there
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:

I recommend anyone with a MAF to try this, really makes a difference
I don't consider taking it out and driving around to be telling much about the acutal effects and running of the car long term. you have no data to back this up...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
My opinion is that Saab put a screen on it to reduce intake noise, just like every other part on the car to try and eliminate engine sounds.
As a side not Saab did not put it there since they did not make that sensor to begin with.
It a 3rd party product found from many other cars as well besides saab just like all the other sensors you will find in the car.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Elder

Ok.

Well Im interested to see if theres negative effects of running a straight thru MAF. Thanks for the info i guess.

Paul = Fail.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
I do not think that the de-screen will affect performance. However, I would not want to trust my air filter as the sole prevention of foreign particles entering the engine.

I believe that a large reason the MAF has a screen is to prevent the sensor from foreign objects.

Then again, the screen could have the same effect as a honeycomb in a wind tunnel, by forcing all of the air to stop swirling and travel straight, so that the sensor can get an accurate reading. Without a screen to "clean up" the airflow, more air may travel along the outside edges of the MAF, while less air travels in the center near the sensor. So more air (or less air) may actually be being read, thus allowing the engine to run slightly rich or lean.

Even so, T7 is smart enough to read from the O2 sensor whether the reading is richer or leaner than what it thinks it should be, and would throw a CEL stating bad O2 sensor, or bad MAF.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

I don't know the long term affects on the newer cars but I removed the screens on my 89 SPG with no ill effects and about 50k miles. I only ran it w/out both screens for a few miles before deciding to put the 1st screen back in, didn't want anything to get by the filter and destroy a $250 piece of plastic.
TOM
Old 02-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
Trollerator
Elder

running a bad MAF and resulting lean condition for a long time combined with tuned cars etc has blown some 2.3 engines. I would not F___ with that as an experiment. My 2 cents.

t7 is smart but I still wouldn't mess with it's ability to be smart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 02-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #12
Elder

After thinking about it, I think T7 would learn thats its getting more air, and the throttle body would back down to compensate for the air.

Is this correct?
(Im still learning about T7)
Old 02-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #13
TSLMember

Quote:

I don't think it's there to filter noise but rather, to reduce turbulence and for the MAF to get an accurate reading. It also help filter large sizedebris that could mess up those filaments.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #14
JK
Elder

This thread is full of LOL.

The only reason any "increase" in "power" was felt was because that's what legit wanted to feel.

You kinda want the sensors (especially one as critical as the MAF) to work exactly as the mfg. intended them to work. Oh, and stop using that old MAF.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:40 AM   #15
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
It uses MAF to read the airmass. When you put the pedal down it is requesting airmass or torque in other terms.. We had a viggen down with 2nd or 3rd motor in it.. Dealer could not find amm was reading real low and allowing too much airmass yes t7 will catch it but only after it is too late. Stg3 car would make like 380tq with the bad AMM new amm fixed it right up.

AMM is a very critical sensor and I am not interested in fooling with it unless it is on the dyno and we can see exh temp / a/f airmass/combustion / airmass deviation and fuel trims.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 02-25-2008, 07:03 AM   #16
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
AMM is a very critical sensor and I am not interested in fooling with it unless it is on the dyno and we can see exh temp / a/f airmass/combustion / airmass deviation and fuel trims.
You mean a 17 year old playing with an old AMM/MAF and using the butt dyno and hypothetical data-logger might not be safe? Uh ohs!

Like Nick said, there is power to be had with a bad sensor, but its VERY unsafe power. If you want more power, don't screw with a sensor, just buy a tune!
Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 AM   #17
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
The guy (2k931kxyz or whatever) who just bought a GTO, and had the 9-3 coupe did this to the MAF, and had no problems.

Granted, his MAF was in proper working order...
Old 02-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #18
JK
Elder

But the issue is that you get next to zero gain, so why bother?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #19
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Also a standard car has more acceptable tolerance than a tuned car..

On my vig for exaple with 1800 airmass a 10% change could make a big mess compared to a std car with 10% and 950 airmass.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 02-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #20
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
But the issue is that you get next to zero gain, so why bother?

That's true as well.

I'm not saying to do it, I'm just saying someone else has, with no ill effects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in