Upgrade Clutch - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
Upgrade Clutch

Ok, so i'm currently running SQR stage 4.

my clutch is shot (127K on the original, its time for a new one).

so here are my options:

Spec stage 2 with viggen PP (416.60 from nick)

Viggen disk and PP (249.60 from eeuro)

I don't race may car (track wise) and really not much on the street. I'm tempted by the lightweight flywheel, but its a DD, and its not really needed (at all). Please don't tell me that i need to drop 360 on it.

so will the viggen setup hold up for daily driving?? I ask because i'm a poor college student, and the price difference ($167) is a full 2 months of groceries for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
What are the numbers for SQR stage 4? Do you have a TD04?

I would think you would wind up with the SPEC...
Old 02-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Elder

300 hp (as quoted by automotion's site, anyone have any real dyno's?)
yes to td04

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
My stage 4 Viggen has its ORIGINAL clutch and held up to staged power levels for about 30k miles now. I also flog my car a reasonable amount and it has seen DD duties.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
Elder

ok, thats the kinda thing i wanted to know

Quote:
Old 02-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
Quote:
Originally Posted by b dash rian View Post
ok, thats the kinda thing i wanted to know
Perfect, me too. Im about to go stage 4 and this is part of the plan. B dash, the way your first post was written it sounded like you ran the stock ng900 clutch with stage 4. Any thoughts/issues?

Old 02-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
Elder

yes, it slips from 3-4k in 3-5, and is now starting to slip in 2...

Quote:
Old 02-24-2008, 04:36 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

spend money get a clutch that you can't shred in 20k & live happily ever after.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:18 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I know for a fact the previous owner of my car drove it to its 'full potential' w/spec stg 3 and Viggen pp. Its not the nicest to drive around town (pretty grabby) but it does not slip one bit.

I'd say if you're going to stay with stage 4 then you'll probably be fine with something a bit less aggressive.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:21 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
Aero/Viggen (same clutch setup) will hold that power just fine for plenty of time. Much better on the left leg than the spec, and also easier on the wallet.

I believe that will be your best bet. I have 50k on an Aero clutch setup on my 9-5 under stage 4 power and it still holds great!

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 02-24-2008, 05:24 AM   #11
Elder

I recently installed the Vig Clutch kit in my 97 NG900 (MBC+A, Td04, 3in exhaust, Viggen IC).

I don't find it difficult to drive at all. The price difference is pretty big and Mike Saunders runs a Vig setup with more power than you.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:48 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Some of the spec clutches almost look like they have trouble staying together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 02-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Talk to Nick at Genuine (or message him - he's really busy -esp. with the guys from Sweden/Nordic there)

I just replaced my clutch because the spec stg 4 that was in there broke in 6 months. I'm only nowhere near the 459 torque capacity spec claims. I'm not the only one this has happened to.

https://www.saablink.net/forum/showth...551#post405551

I went with a stage 2 spec clutch disk from Nick at Genuine since I already had the spec pressure plate. Stg 4 is too much for my car and for pretty much any Saab for that matter. Nick actually recommended the Viggen setup, but said stg2 is fine.

He might say the Viggen setup is fine for you. I think it might be right at the edge for a stg4 car - but maybe not if you just take it easy. So if you ask him you will know.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline406 View Post
Perfect, me too. Im about to go stage 4 and this is part of the plan. B dash, the way your first post was written it sounded like you ran the stock ng900 clutch with stage 4. Any thoughts/issues?
I had my stock clutch and pressure plate with stage 3. It ate the crap out of that clutch. It would slip when doing anything more than about 50% throttle. I went with the Viggen Clutch and PP due to a tight budget. I have now had the Stage 3 upped to 4 and dont have an issue. The car is a DD and sees little if any track time right now and occasional spirited driving on the highway but not really any launches. Works great.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #15
TSLMember

Stage 1, 2 & 3

Ooopsss! wrong thread.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #16
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ViggenStory
get spec stage 2 my man.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:54 AM   #17
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Std Viggen kit should hold that just fine. Drive nice and be very easy to live with everyday.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 02-29-2008, 06:54 AM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Stage 3 here with the lightweight flywheel, viggen clutch disk, and viggen pressure plate. Its nice and holds just fine. Little clutch slip every once in a blue moon on a very cold nights when I floor it in 3rd from 3k rpm but it catches very shortly. I think that slip has more to do with the lightweight flywheel.

Now I know your don't want to drop the 360 on the flywheel but its worth it in my opinion. The car feels more alive when accelerating. Do it while your in there doing the clucth. It's only another 8 bolts to take the flywheel off............and the 360.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in