Short Shift Kit - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Short Shift Kit

Has anyone installed a short shift kit, and does it make a difference. Would like to make the shifts a bit quicker with my viggen, but not sure how it would feel...as in is it comfortable to change gear or does it feel like it is not in gear but is?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTAMUNCH View Post
Has anyone installed a short shift kit, and does it make a difference. Would like to make the shifts a bit quicker with my viggen, but not sure how it would feel...as in is it comfortable to change gear or does it feel like it is not in gear but is?
Better money spent is on the GS tranny mount and engine mount.

Before them I would often catch on shifts into 3rd and sometimes even 2nd. After them I get a really solid positive shift with far more confidence.

The MP shift kits are very hit or miss. I have heard stories of them breaking and also requiring a lot of tweaking to get them to work right.

That leaves the Saab Savior kit which I have hear decent reviews of but costs a lot and involves a core and a lot of work to put in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

Agree. The GS mounts are definitely a good investment and relatively easy to install, too.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Elder

theres also dips DIY short sifter
http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/2007...Short_Shifter/

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 02-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
We are working on prototypes now. Problem is there is not a common bearing so you get slop at the bearing and shift rod interface. This causes problems. I have some custom bearings coming in 4-6 weeks and the rest mostly prototyped. They are very slick. Should be nearly drop in and fix all the problems of factory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 02-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
We are working on prototypes now. Problem is there is not a common bearing so you get slop at the bearing and shift rod interface. This causes problems. I have some custom bearings coming in 4-6 weeks and the rest mostly prototyped. They are very slick. Should be nearly drop in and fix all the problems of factory.
Do want.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Do want.
This is going to be x2. I did the the DIY mod from Erics site back in the day and i loved every second of it. I have a spare shifter i was going to mod but if your coming out with a short shift kit sign me up.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I have the MP. It has worked fine for me so far. I think the things i enjoyed most about it is the solid feel. To me the stock shifter had always felt kind of "hollow". The MP unit made if feel much more solid. then I added the GS trans mount and it got even better.

x3 on the GS Shifter... As long as it comes with that kick ass shift boot that you guys keep saying you are going to bring back!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
x4.
i definetly want one of these
Old 02-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
I have the Saab Savior one.

When nick gets his, I'm selling it.

I drew a picture of the current shift pattern for SPGproject one night. Here it is: (the 5th gear can be anywhere between the place I drew it and 3rd. It changes for no reason)
Old 02-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to moose
fifth gear is overrated anyways.

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I have the Saab Savior as well (for over 2 years now) and mine shifts beautifully....I do not experience what is described above. Sounds to me like not properly aligned or some of the bushings further down near the tranny are worn out. I should note I have both the GS Poly trans mount as well as the passanger engine mount which does help tighten up the shift linkage.

x-VWer:

Old 02-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
red dic has the one from MP maybe he will chime in...
2002 viggen current

Old 02-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to ViggenStory
Saab Savior is chill if you like the feel of stiff shifting. i know from experience dood. i met up with my buddy Oldzmann and he gave me a ride in his Stage 4 viggen, which was no joke, the ride of my life. the shifting was real stiff when he left me try it. it wasnt my cup of tea.and it was probably cuz i didnttry driving it. maybe it might be a little different if the car was moving but i guess it depends on different peoples interested. but i am looking forward for the short shiter from you nick. i know you'll do a excellent job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
I have the Saab Savior as well (for over 2 years now) and mine shifts beautifully....I do not experience what is described above. Sounds to me like not properly aligned or some of the bushings further down near the tranny are worn out. I should note I have both the GS Poly trans mount as well as the passanger engine mount which does help tighten up the shift linkage.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Thats awsum Nick. I am just gathering some cash together and then will put in a big order. Would like to order a whole lot of stuff and install it all at once. Will keep in touch.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #16
Elder

damn you nick. i'm never going to have money again, because i seem to give it all to you
Old 02-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
i have the MP, and its just like Palmer's shift pattern, except the float in each gear allows overlap with the one next to it (except 5th). So 1st and 3rd are just as close as 2 & 4

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:13 PM   #18
Elder

Also have the MP.... definitely not worth it for all the work that I had to put in to get it working.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what Nick comes up with

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 02-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to ViggenStory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
damn you nick. i'm never going to have money again, because i seem to give it all to you
Ditto. but well worth it.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #20
Avid TSL User

Quote:
They are very slick. Should be nearly drop in and fix all the problems of factory.
Just what I need - News of another fine product from GS... Okay, I'm in line, too. So, this makes three items to wait for GS... Steering wheel, Shifter, Strut-brace...

I'm running out of daughters to take to the pawn shop

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in