cobra vs stock gt17 inlet pipe - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
cobra vs stock gt17 inlet pipe

Since both inlet pipe bolt up to the tdo4 turbo, is either really better than the other overall. I know GS sell a plantoff(sp) version.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by soccerrplyr; 02-18-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Tikka
It's a definite upgrade, I've seen straws bigger than the gt17 inlet. I'm not sure whether you'd notice a difference with stock software though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Which is fine. Because another guy got hit by a deer. Yes, a deer ran into a man.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Elder

what's the upgrade order from best to least as far as inlets go, The car is now at stage 3 nordic with a t25 going to be replaced with a tdo4. I have the cobra at the moment and the gt17 pipes but they look essentially the same but didn't know if there is a definite upgrade over the other

Old 02-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
Elder

The cobra pipe is designed to flow better. The inside isnt rough like the stock pipe.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Trollerator
Elder

how does a gt17 pipe look the same as a td04 cobra? the td04 one is much bigger.

You might notice a little something, but the best upgrade IMHO would be the machined td04 with 06+ cobra.

anyways.

gt17 < td04 < GS upgrade pipe or 06+ td04

I have a td04 pipe from a viggen I plan to throw on the wife's 9-5 lpt with gt17. Will post when I do if I notice any butt dyno gains

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 02-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
how does a gt17 pipe look the same as a td04 cobra? the td04 one is much bigger.
The only real differenced I noticed is obviously the upper portion but they both narrow to the same bottle neck design through 75 percent of the pipe towards the turbo.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #7

Look at the angle of the bend and the total area.

It flows better, but it's still a restriction.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
Elder

I was really hoping this was a war story.

Like an '03 Mustang Cobra got beat to death by a gt17 inlet pipe wielded like a club.

:-/

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 02-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

If you have a 2001 or newer then the GT17 and TD04 had the same Cobra pipe: 9192568

I opted for the 2006+ King Cobra w/ the machine compressor housing to get it to fit b/c its the best option without going the top mounted turbo route. Since you're going to be putting a TD04 in, your best route is to send that puppy to Nick at GS and have him machine the housing ($80) then hook you up with the King Cobra with the modified threads added for the crank case vent bango ($120)....mine as well do it right especially since the time consuming work of taking the turbo out will already be done. Last thing you will need is you will need to shorten the crank case inlet hard line as the crank case inlet is a few mm off. I did this by removing (read hacksaw) the 90 bend before the banjo fitting and added a 130 degree bend rubber hose (Saab part #: 91-89-465 - $6) inline to line things up correctly, as seen here:

Have a look at the full set of pics here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/862755/6

more info here:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...935#post959935

x-VWer:

Last edited by perkj; 02-18-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in