GT3071R-WG turbo - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

GT3071R-WG turbo

Hey guys I have an '02 9-3 SE, and i'm buying a new turbo this week and just need some confirmation on a few things.

I'm looking to buy the turbo in the thread name:

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=GRT

Wanted to know:

What I need to make it work(supporting things)?

What you guys think about the turbo itself(i think it's cool, because it's like the GT30 but with the t25 flange)?

Do I need to get a new flange welded onto my GS 3" dp to fit the new turbo?

Here is the list of everything else I'll be buying this week:

-GS Siemen's 630cc injectors
-Forged Pistons B205
-Tubular exhaust manifold
-Thinner cooling fan
-Walbro 255LPH fuel pump
-Stage 3 clutch
-Piston Closed Loop Diverter Valve
-Upgraded Delivery pipe
-Sport Engine Mount
-oil/water lines
-MaptunUSA tune

already have:

-forged ic
-3" dp
-open air intake
-exhaust
-koni springs/shocks

p.s.- How much of a noise dif. would a 3" dp-back exhaust sound like compared to my 2.5" back after the 3" dp.

Last edited by swedish_02; 02-17-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to MATTM3
That turbo is great for the 2.0, not too much lag, and crazy power from 3500-up. You might get used to it and wish you have gotten the .86 housing though.

Add a vband adapter for the turbine housing. Then you have to cut the downpipe and weld a vband flange on that..not as simple as it sounds. Inlet piping also needs to be fabricated. It might be easier to go with the top mount manifold from GS. They have the downpipe for it and it makes the inlet situation a lot easier.

You have to pull the engine to get the cylinders honed and rings properly fitted too, so you might as well replace the rod/main bearings and other parts depending on mileage. It's a lot of work, but definitely worth it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

alright sounds good man. what about this .86 housing? I'm not too great on turbo specifics?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
JZW
Elder

Do a search, there are a bunch of us guys running the gt3071wg .64ar and two of us have swapped over to a .86ar turbine housing.

I am runing the .86ar turbine housing now and its not quite as fun around town, but on the open stretches, it really shines and my car now keeps pulling all the way to about 6200rpm, it would fall off by 5500-5700rpm with the smaller .64ar turbine housing. The spool-up is around 500rpm later and that is the trade-off, low end spool for higher end power.

To install you need a flange from Nick at GS and that goes between the exhaust manifold and the head to get the turbo away from the block. I was able to tweek my stock coolant lines and make them work, but the oil line is special, its 4an. I then used a thick rubber elbow and 3" pipe for my inlet pipe and then had my jsp 3" dp cut at the end and then a v-band installed to connect it all up. The cooling fan is a tight fit too, I made my stock one fit, but its much easier with a small profile fan, subaru legacy is great!

Good Luck,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in