Poll: To buy b234r internals for the ng900. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Buy the B234r internals
Hell yeah! 10 41.67%
Just drop the 2.0t in 9 37.50%
Keep the money and buy a 9k aero 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Poll: To buy b234r internals for the ng900.

So I got a line on internals for a b234r and am wondering if it is worth it. I have a ng900 with a cracked piston so i need to rebuild the motor. I have a spare motor 2.0t for the car i can rebuild but the 2.3t is calling me. I can pick up the internals for 270 shipped. But I know I am going to need a tdo4 and a tune then as well as a dp. I found out a tune from nick will be $550. Should i do it for my DD?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
that would be an awsome DD... im going to drop my b234 in my 9-3 fairly soon then run a tune for a td04 until next spring and ill put a big gt in there... you might want to get something for winter seeing how it wont be very good in the snow... i say do it
2002 viggen current

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
A 2.3 w/TD04-15t-6cm is a fine winter driver, I should know We'll find out how an 18t/2.3 ng900 will be in the near future...

I think you'll have a lot of fun if thats the route you choose. If you plan on doing some work to your ng in the future thats what I'd go with. If you're crunched for $ on the other hand...drop the 2.0t in and call it a day.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
Elder

High Revving 2.0t!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
Elder

Plenty of time ahead in your life to swap away, and do it right when the funds are really there. I have to vote 2.0t. You'll know it will work, with minimal teething issues and will not require any additional hardware that will push that 270$ price tag over a $1000 very quickly.

How is the rest of the car? I really don't know what you've got... but in my case its just not good enough. Given the fact that these NG900 are valued at very little... is it wise to put all the work of a B234 swap into the one you currently have? A cheap 96, 97 or 98 900SE (even a 99 9-3) that is clean is going to be in the stable longer for less overall cost if you are staring down any other major mechanical issues with the current one.

I hate to sound like a downer, and I know I do, but I've put alot of thought into it and have decided for myself that this NG I have now is merely a performance-parts-holding-surrogate-mother-DD and training aid (ha) for the 'real' SAAB I'll build after college. That one will be built right (Yankton-esque), will not have dents or rust and will have the correct number of doors.

I love seeing all your guys' fast and beautiful cars, but mine is functional, fast enough to be fun and rough enough I don't mind if the dog rides in the back or the %#[email protected]& at the grocery store ding me. When I scraped down the side of my car against an old truck bumper that stuck way out at hannaford last year it was like I had been liberated! /rant

Good luck whatever you decide Drew, don't let me dissaude you if YOU want a 2.3 NG900 now, it'd be cool for sure !!!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to moose
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4_1man View Post
High Revving 2.0t!!!!!!
x2, build up the 2.0 and have it rev like crazy.

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
ERP
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ERP
I just did the 2.3 swap in my NG900 and I love it. The extra displacement + TD04 make for and excellent daily driver. But you do not need to put the TD04 on there right away. You can run your stock turbo, dp and ECU for a while before upgrading. I do recommend a wideband O2 at the same time as the engine swap, so add that to the list.
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
Old 02-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
Elder

here is the thing i planned to tune this car. Last year when i replaced the trans i went all out. It has a 9-3 5spd with low miles, spec 2 clutch, viggen pp, viggen ic, gs motor mount and trans mount, hydro clutch and gs intake (as soon as it comes in the mail.)

^CLICK ME^
Old 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to moose
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewz airflow se View Post
here is the thing i planned to tune this car. Last year when i replaced the trans i went all out. It has a 9-3 5spd with low miles, spec 2 clutch, viggen pp, viggen ic, gs motor mount and trans mount, hydro clutch and gs intake (as soon as it comes in the mail.)
you should do 2.0 you can get a huge turbo and have it rev like crazy and have powerband that will go from 4k-10k.

ohh and you're definitly going to be replacing the vig IC soon. cause heat soak sucks.

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
you should do 2.0 you can get a huge turbo and have it rev like crazy and have powerband that will go from 4k-10k.

ohh and you're definitly going to be replacing the vig IC soon. cause heat soak sucks.
yeah i know about heat soak and how much it sux.

^CLICK ME^
Old 02-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Like I said before...if you're going to tune it and drive it daily/on the street the 2.3 is an excellent choice.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #12

Drew, is this just a question on whether or not you should fix your 2.0 or upgrade to a 2.3?

I think that decision is totally yours depending on what you think the costs will be and what you intend to do with your NG. If you are not planning on keeping it for a long time, then perhaps you should go with the cheapest route and save your money for your true love (whatever it may be). If the NG is just basic transportation then maybe you should put the money somewhere else as well. I know for me that my daily commute I do not go above 50 mph and have little opportunity to even accelerate quickly. Extra power is nice but would be of little value to my commuting style.

I hope you are being realistic on the costs of repairing either motor though. I think you will want to have your blocked checked thoroughly and the deck planed and cylinders honed at a minimum. Add in new pistons, rings, bearings, polish crank, etc etc not to mention all the consumables.

You might find that it is more cost effective to ship a running motor to yourself.

At any rate, good luck and let me know if there is anything I can do for help.

Tboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in