diy ceramic coating manifold - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 09:20 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

diy ceramic coating manifold

iam going to coat my manifold... the only thing i need to figure out is if me dad can sandblast the manifold... then i am going to by some of the black satin paint and coat the thing.... i mena geez ill b payin 20$ for the ceramic coating.... and maybe nothing for the sandblasting...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2004, 07:38 AM   #2

I'm interested to see what you think once the manifold is coated. I just bought a can but I have to get a flange welded on before I can paint it...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-08-2004, 08:27 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

A word of warning about that spray on ceramic coat.....

My friend and I sprayed his headers with the stuff and it started flaking off as soon as the headers got hot, and our turbo manifolds get alot hotter than headers on a mostly stock Chevy 350.

I don't remember how we prepped the headers, but I think they were brand new.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:43 AM   #4
Elder

I have the ceramic kind of spray paint on my manifold. What you need to do is make sure it's clean first of course of all rust and flakes, and then spray it on and then run the car for an hour to let the heak settle the ceramic coating. My paint usually lasts quite a few months and then I need to re-touch it up with another can...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmdesign
I have the ceramic kind of spray paint on my manifold. What you need to do is make sure it's clean first of course of all rust and flakes, and then spray it on and then run the car for an hour to let the heak settle the ceramic coating. My paint usually lasts quite a few months and then I need to re-touch it up with another can...

or allow the coating to heat settle by putting it in your oven.

But I agree....every 'rattle can' spray on coating I've seen ends up flaking. MO would be to go get it done right.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:38 AM   #6

actually it is not a spray paint u buy in parts store... thats not what im using.. we have a black satin paint that is meant for this..... u must sandblas tthe mani first then degrease it then paint it and let it cure... some of these coatings need to be baked others just need to be heated on the car
Old 12-08-2004, 09:40 AM   #7

there is also a company online www.techlinecoatings.com that selss a similar coating to what i am using
Old 12-08-2004, 11:07 AM   #8

The stuff at www.techlinecoatings.com looks alot better that the cheapo crap that I was using.

I didn't see any pricing info.... how much $bling$ ?

Let us know how this stuff works out
Old 12-08-2004, 02:00 PM   #9

it is 19.95 plus shipping for 4oz of paint which is enough for a pair of v8 headers, the stuff my father has is only rated up to 1500degrees though.. i am gonna give it a shot and see what happens if it doesnt work out i will get black satin which is good to 2000
Old 12-08-2004, 03:00 PM   #10

I bought the black satin after reading a couple of good reviews on the Audi boards. Some of the guys there were saying that it improves the underhood temps dramatically....
Old 12-08-2004, 03:32 PM   #11

that is part of the reason i want it
Old 12-08-2004, 04:46 PM   #12
Elder

I just got my manifold today in the mail - cost - $80 for it an it already was ceramic coated and broken in - so it's not going to flake - looks good! (Thanks Chris) - now i need to bolt up a turbo to it - and get a custom DP build - oh and assemble the motor :P
for your repair needs
Old 12-13-2004, 06:20 AM   #13
TSLMember

Pictures of My Manifold & Downpipe

I had this done in the Spring by a pro in Atlanta. They used the 2000 degree stuff. They did major prep work and then baked it after the ceramic coating was applied. I had them do both the downpipe and the manifold, both on the outside only. Cost about $150 total and took about 6 hours. I would highly recommend it.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:37 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
Ragtop...that's a nice touch...

I hope you don't mind me taking notice, being nosey ...but what in the world are you running in there?

Looks like an NG, with some crazy mods going on...did you reroute your intake, or is that normal? Looks like the potential for an EGT or pyro in there too....been looking to do one of those myself.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:50 AM   #15

looks to me like a t7 with a ceramic coated manifold and dp
Old 12-13-2004, 08:18 AM   #16
TSLMember

DC_SAAB asked,
Quote:
I hope you don't mind me taking notice, being nosey ...but what in the world are you running in there?
Nothing too exotic. T7 with Abbott Cold Air Intake pipe (too much $$$, but Nick didn't have one then). 3" downpipe, Stage 2 Speedparts ECU, Forge BPV. I left the manifold cover off because I like the look of the manifold and don't feel that the manifold cover does much with the ceramic manifold.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:32 PM   #17

sandblasted manifold and already painted pipes....http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/578615/5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in