Aftermarket Wastegate? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to bassplya38
Aftermarket Wastegate?

Is there any aftermarket wastegates for T7 cars?

Ive looked through the forums... i feel like this is a dumb question but i had to ask it...

I drive a 2000 9-3 SE

Is it possible to put an atmospheric dump wastegate on or not?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Elder

why do you feel you need an aftermarket gate? nick sells a forge one.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
Okay, im not sure about others, but theres
1) a dump valve, blow off valve, bypass valve
then theres 2) the wastegate, which is the piece on the turbo that controls boost itself. you are talking about 1 I assume by the use of "atmospheric"

To answer the question, no there is no true way on a t7 car. It measures air before the valve, so when you have the valve "leaking" air out it messes with the computer because it doesnt know where the air went. I believe that there might be a couple people out there with generally good results (as in not stalling), but it is an issue with t7 and c900's too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to moose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline406 View Post
then theres 2) the wastegate, which is the piece on the turbo that controls boost itself. you are talking about 1 I assume by the use of "atmospheric"

To answer the question, no there is no true way on a t7 car. It measures air before the valve, so when you have the valve "leaking" air out it messes with the computer because it doesnt know where the air went. I believe that there might be a couple people out there with generally good results (as in not stalling), but it is an issue with t7 and c900's too.
your talking about a blow off valve, no you can't put a blow off valve on T7. you can get the upgraded recirculating valve from forge.

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplya38 View Post
Is there any aftermarket wastegates for T7 cars?

Ive looked through the forums... i feel like this is a dumb question but i had to ask it...

I drive a 2000 9-3 SE

Is it possible to put an atmospheric dump wastegate on or not?

Yes it is possible to dump your wastegate gas to the atmosphere if you have an external wastegate. Even if you had a divided dp it would be possible to discharge an internal gate into the air. I dont feel a aftermarket wastgate is needed if you are using stock software.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Ok Thanks

I definatly dont need one cause i do run stock software. It was just question that i needed an answer to incase i ever do deside to run alot of boost or need a new wastegate.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:

Yes you can run a wastegate externally and dump to the atmosphere.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG-GASM View Post
Yes you can run a wastegate externally and dump to the atmosphere.
Right, but the thing was this seemed like the usual "i want atmos bov/bpv on my t7 car. how?" thread. Im still not sure if he's asking about an atmos wastegate (flappy thingy on turbo/manifold) or a dumpvalve/bov/bpv on delivery pipe.

On a side note, SPG, who's engine is that?

Last edited by Adrenaline406; 02-08-2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: more...
Old 02-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Im talking about a Wastegate

Not a BOV, BPV

an atmospheric dump wastegate for a T7 car
Old 02-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplya38 View Post
Im talking about a Wastegate

Not a BOV, BPV

an atmospheric dump wastegate for a T7 car
maybe Nick can field that question.

^CLICK ME^
Old 02-09-2008, 05:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Right, but the thing was this seemed like the usual "i want atmos bov/bpv on my t7 car. how?" thread. Im still not sure if he's asking about an atmos wastegate (flappy thingy on turbo/manifold) or a dumpvalve/bov/bpv on delivery pipe.

On a side note, SPG, who's engine is that?
Its mine from my 91 9000.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #12

I dont see why there would be an issue with running an atmospheric wastegate on any turbocharged car. Emissions of course, but i dont see how it could mess with the computer or anything. (on a side note they sound awesome; a friend of mine has an mr2... sooo loud)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG-GASM View Post
Its mine from my 91 9000.
Nice!

Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #13

Quote:
I dont see why there would be an issue with running an atmospheric wastegate on any turbocharged car. Emissions of course, but i dont see how it could mess with the computer or anything. (on a side note they sound awesome; a friend of mine has an mr2... sooo loud)

Nice!
if the spring rate (baseboost) is much different than what the orig bypass it will cause problems.
To emission it hardly has an effect since the gete is only open on higher boost when AFR is is already rich, ie. outside where the CAT operates.

open wg sounds from my car, just put a tial 44mm in a week ago
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/port.wmv
Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
JZW
Elder

Looks a little cold and wet to be doing any high speed pulls. Good thing we are fwd or that might be a little dangerous

So how is the car holding boost? Hows it holding boost up top in the high rpms?

Do you feel a big difference or are you thinkings its only as good as that new delivery pipe you have?

John
Old 02-10-2008, 02:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
Looks a little cold and wet to be doing any high speed pulls. Good thing we are fwd or that might be a little dangerous

So how is the car holding boost? Hows it holding boost up top in the high rpms?

Do you feel a big difference or are you thinkings its only as good as that new delivery pipe you have?

John
You would not be driving for the entire winter if one is worried what road conditions are

Regarding the testing, it has been wet roads since the installation of the WG, meaning that I have no grip in 3rd and 4th will spin also if you wish to you boost more than ~1.3bar or so, so not too many figures exists yet of the difference, but the back pressure climbrate with rpm did reduce quit a bit (the lila color curve)
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/portti.pdf
with the orig WG you would hardly see a change in the climb, thus WG opened.

The aim with the WG is and was not to increase the boost in high rpms, since I could drive with plenty with the internal WG already, but to boost less and maintain the airmass flow or to increase it with the help of improved VE and possibly to extend the rpm higher.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #16
JZW
Elder

Yea, but you can run a lot less base boost, right? You said you had to run above one bar to keep the boost high up top.

The ewg should allow you to run less base boost and still hold the boost much better up higher in the rpm band.

What kind of boost are you running to get you're required air mass?

John
Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
Yea, but you can run a lot less base boost, right? You said you had to run above one bar to keep the boost high up top.

The ewg should allow you to run less base boost and still hold the boost much better up higher in the rpm band.

What kind of boost are you running to get you're required air mass?

John
Yes the aim is to run with ~0.8bar base boost and since the WG clock in much bigger in size the spring can be really stiff, thus it opens with not so high pressure. Of course the discs is bigger and the opening force from back pressure therefore bigger. Pushing the valve open with bare hands proved to be impossible

The 600Nm is achieved with roughly 1.6bar boost.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #18
JZW
Elder

23.45psi... Not too bad.

I was wondering, where did you say you're cross-over from back pressure to boost was located at? What where the numbers?

Do you run a cat?

Now that I am running more boost, around 25psi, my egt's are pretty high by the end of a second pull, say third to 6k and then 4th to 6k and my egt's are very high with my w/m injection on. I have another ecu coming that will be leaner and the timing and knock sensitivity has been adjusted and I will see how it does, but I think I might need to remove my cat to lower my back-pressure and maybe, just run less boost.

I hate to see anything over 1750F. Brad said with w/m 1850F can still be run, but the tune must be just right. I am wondering since I am 10.2/1 past 5k if the fuel is still burning as it flows out the exhaust manifold and I am getting a reading that is really higher than what it really is inside the combustion chamber. I need to get it leaned out closer to 12.0/1 first and then see if I can run more timing or at least keep it from retarding past 5k.

John
Old 02-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #19

That's a wastegate actuator....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in