99 9-3 Hot - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to BluAero
99 9-3 Hot

So I was over at the Central and the idea of putting a 99 9-3 HOT ECU into a 96-98 NG was brought up. Theoretically this would give you an extra 15hp/15ft/lbs. Say I upgraded my intercooler and slapped on a HOT ECU. Would this work. People have said the 99 9-3 hots have T-25's others say GT-17 others say TD-04's. I'm thinking either gt 17's or T-25's. Then the 00-03 HOTs have TD04's. Seems like a good idea, but would it work? I'm up for a cheap upgrade until I can save up for a tuned ECU.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
they have the T-25 to my knowledge

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Makeyousaab
HOT = high output turbo. They came with the TDO4 5cm exhaust and a viggen IC

1999 9-3 Vert. STG = pretty fast

Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeyousaab View Post
HOT = high output turbo. They came with the TDO4 5cm exhaust and a viggen IC
i remember hearing that a 99 9-3 hot just had different software.

^CLICK ME^
Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

they have t25's 2000+ im pretty sure have the td04 and while its not a bad idea, i would say if you can do it very cheaply then i say go for it but if its going to costs 100's then forget about it and just go with mbc+a for now until you can do ecu tune.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewz airflow se View Post
i remember hearing that a 99 9-3 hot just had different software.
99 hots have the viggen intercooler and t25 (pretty sure 2000+ had td04)and different software. thats all i know of
Old 02-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #7

If anyone has the time can anyone check their Stock 99 9-3 HOT turbo if they have a chance. I mean I'll pick up this kind of ECU if I can get it for $50 or less. I think its well worth it at that price. 200hp 209ft lbs + hp/tq gain from intake and full 3" exhaust. If I could pick it up at a junkyard then why not. I just want to make sure they have T-25's.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
99 HOT's were t25. However finding an actual 99 HOT is even harder as they were an afterthought going into the 2000 MY so there were very few of them.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #9

yes 99 hot's have t25. my car is a 99 hot and it had a t25

Last edited by sleet; 02-06-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Makeyousaab
ok guess I was wrong. Everyone is right though, for the money get an MBC+A. Hell for $100-$160 you could pick up a TDO4 and then save up for a staged ECU. Then you'll sit at the ~300hp with supporting mods.

1999 9-3 Vert. STG = pretty fast
Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #11

It was just an idea. I mean if I can find one cheaply I will probably pick it up then. I am uncomfortable using a MBC. I used one on my 9000 and yea I loved the power and quick spool up, but not knowing if I had a safe AFR whether it be to rich or too lean bothers me. I've heard that trionic compensates, but just exactly how much? Idk maybe its just me.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
With upgrading to a Viggen IC and getting a new ECU for only 15hp its really not worth the cost at all...and probably not even worth the effort.

Instead of the ECU, get an exhaust. Instead of the IC for now, get the MBC+A. You will have spend the same amount of effort and probably money but for far better gains.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to aero93
i didnt even know 99's had a HOT model ? how limited was it ? and how can you tell it was a HOT? ( or was it just the ecu that differed ?)

Old 02-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
A.) Very limited in 99, again it was a last minute thought before the 2000 models began production.
B.) You can identify it by the VIN. I think it has a P where the N would be in the VIN. There is a FAQ answer over at TSN over this issue.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:36 AM   #15
TSLMember

Well since it got brought up over here too, and I never really got an answer on SC. Would a hot ecu running an mbc put down more power than my SE ecu running an mbc?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:57 AM   #16
Elder

Depends on how you have the MBC tuned for boost. From my understanding in talking with Jak he has told me that usually up to stage 3 requires little or no changing of the fuel maps in the ECU.

So when you remove the T5 BPC valve you remove the limitation of boost pressure by the ECU. The MBC is completely mechanical and is not influenced in any manner from the ECU.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #17
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
99 hot 9-3: t5, t25 turbo same as LPT except stiffer wastegate actuator. "viggen/ diesel" crossflow intercooler and unique software. Most of the gains in the wastegate and intercooler.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 02-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
Obviously you can't take a 2000+ 9-3 HOT and put it on a NG900... T7 vs T5...
Old 02-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero93 View Post
i didnt even know 99's had a HOT model ? how limited was it ? and how can you tell it was a HOT? ( or was it just the ecu that differed ?)
The 8th placement in the VIN is a P. I'm about 90% sure all the HOT's were 5-speed too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in