Viggen Boost - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Viggen Boost

Hi guys when i floor it hard in 3rd gear and watch my boost gauge, it goes all the way up to just before the red(stock software). Then it seems to drop slowly to about half way while i am still flooring it. Is it supposed to drop off like this? Or am i losing boost? The car still pulls well even although the boost gauge shows a drop. I have checked and dont seem to have any boost pipe leaks and the stock Bosche valve is good.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Your intercooler is heat-soaking I think...

Sounds normal to me as well.

All of the "stock" saabs I have been in have some boost taper.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Your intercooler is heat-soaking I think...

Sounds normal to me as well.

All of the "stock" saabs I have been in have some boost taper.
Ok cool. As long as its normal. Thanx alot.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

You should really not rely on the stock gauge since first of all it does not measure boost, it's air mass and second it is programmable to show whatever you want.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pade View Post
You should really not rely on the stock gauge since first of all it does not measure boost, it's air mass and second it is programmable to show whatever you want.
Oh ok, so then if its air mass, does it mean that more air is coming in or out or what? It seems to be dropping more since i removed that air box resonator. Still stock air filter though. Maybe i am just noticing it more? I probably need to go for a custom ECU tune.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pade View Post
What boost does a stock viggen run on, and what is yours boosting at?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Elder

my buddies stock 99 viggen runs 10 lbs

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 01-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTAMUNCH View Post
What boost does a stock viggen run on, and what is yours boosting at?
At sea level you see a max of about 12-13lbs in a healthy car in 3rd-5th gear, about 10psi in 2nd, and about 7psi in 1st. Those are all estimates as T7 varies in many ways from car to car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
At sea level you see a max of about 12-13lbs in a healthy car in 3rd-5th gear, about 10psi in 2nd, and about 7psi in 1st. Those are all estimates as T7 varies in many ways from car to car.
I am at about 1600m above sea level. Would my car be boosting higher or lower than if it were at sea level?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTAMUNCH View Post
I am at about 1600m above sea level. Would my car be boosting higher or lower than if it were at sea level?
The Viggen was said to be able to boost UPTO 20.3psi to account for higher elevations. So yes, if its subtantially higher elevation you would see more boost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:36 AM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
well my buddies 02 9-3 se HOT runs at 15psi constantly and thats on a stock ecu...

12-13 almost doesnt seem right on a viggen
2002 viggen current

Old 01-31-2008, 08:44 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab4life93t View Post
well my buddies 02 9-3 se HOT runs at 15psi constantly and thats on a stock ecu...

2.0 and 2.3 T7 cannot quite be compared. I think it comes down to targeted air mass and the 2.3 produces it in such a way that it would take less boost to make its target. Thats just my understanding of it.

I don't car about boost numbers. If my Viggen make 260whp at 15psi that makes me HAPPIER than 260whp on 21psi.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
2.0 and 2.3 T7 cannot quite be compared. I think it comes down to targeted air mass and the 2.3 produces it in such a way that it would take less boost to make its target. Thats just my understanding of it.

I don't car about boost numbers. If my Viggen make 260whp at 15psi that makes me HAPPIER than 260whp on 21psi.
ok well now that you have explained it that way i understand it better i wasnt implying that his car is anything special i just thought that a viggen would be about that if not higher... i learn something new everyday...
2002 viggen current

Old 01-31-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab4life93t View Post

My last dyno on the Viggen was 10psi boost with just over 200whp.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #15

yeah it all makes sense now i didnt really think about it too much... dont hold it against me...
2002 viggen current

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in