Fwd ---> Rwd - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Fwd ---> Rwd

How much work and how much money do you guys think it would take to convert my '02 9-3 SE HOT modded to a rwd jet? Eventually will be running 400hp, and like to not be sliding everywhere.

OR....

Should I just save up to buy a rwd car?

like a m3 or something?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedish_02 View Post
How much work and how much money do you guys think it would take to convert my '02 9-3 SE HOT modded to a rwd jet? Eventually will be running 400hp, and like to not be sliding everywhere.

OR....

Should I just save up to buy a rwd car?

like a m3 or something?
Door number 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Elder

Lulz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 01-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
JK
Elder

Here's how I look at it.

If you can't figure out how much work it would be on your own, this is NOT the thing for you to try.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Elder

It would barely edge out those white-trash "rip tickets" as the biggest waste of money in the history of the world.......
Old 01-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Elder

It would be easy.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
Nah, be different, make a rwd 9-3, that would be bad ass!
I'd find an m3 drive line and make it fit. People have made adapters to mount a BMW transmission to a Saab engine before. I have faith.

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 01-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
Elder

it would not be the conversion to do with a nice car. Too much custom fabrication, cutting, welding etc...
If you've got a nice garage, with a lift and good tools, not just hand tools, air tools, plasma cutter, good mig welder...
Take a car out of the yard, strip it down start from there.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #9

You would also need to rotate the engine 90 degrees. Not to mention the chassis is setup as a fwd car. The handling dynamics would be horribly wrong without alot of testing and changing.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
It would be easy.
Look to this man as an example. He made a 3dr conversion look so easy!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Look to this man as an example. He made a 3dr conversion look so easy!
He's also got a very uncompromising work ethic.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 01-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Here's how I look at it.

If you can't figure out how much work it would be on your own, this is NOT the thing for you to try.

what's with the animosity? Just a simple innocent question.

I was just curious guys.

I like the e36 m3
Old 01-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
JK
Elder

No animosity intended. It would be a lot of work and require years of expereince.

If you don't know what is involved it would likely be too much work for you to do.

There is always the option of having a shop do the work, but expect to pay a 5 figure bill to get it done!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #14
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscam84 View Post
Nah, be different, make a rwd 9-3, that would be bad ass!
I'd find an m3 drive line and make it fit. People have made adapters to mount a BMW transmission to a Saab engine before. I have faith.
Why put an M3 engine in an inferior chassis? It would be different, but that's about it. 9 out of 10 people will prefer the looks of the M3 over a Saab.

I vote for keep the 9-3 as a daily, learn how to weld/fabricate metal, and in the meantime pick your project car.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #15
Elder

1. Buy e36 M3
2. Buy e36 M3 turbo kit
3. Install

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #16
JK
Elder

Sticking M3 drivetrain in a saab would likely cost more than a decently E36 M3, it would be a ton more work, and you would end up with a car that would be left in the dust in all respects when compared to a M3.

It would be unique, but not a practical thing to do. For the time and money I would just by a BMW as ther other have said.

Or, if you find a blown up old saab and feel like undertaking a really big project then go for it, but its a LOT of work, and there is not much for off the shelf, bolt on stuff to help out.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #17
Elder

I'd much rather do like a chevy V8 into a RX-7 or something awesome like that.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I'd buy a RWD car.

Converting it would be a pita. Not like it hasn't been done though. A good example of a rwd 'saab' would be Bo's green c900 with the supercharged mustang motor in it.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #19
lms

Based on your previous posts I have to ask: Why did you buy a saab? If you are finding that you really don't like the saab then jump ship now before you start spending money on a car it sounds like you do not like. If you are planning on keeping the car then go back to your viggen engine thread and follow what people have told you to try. But before engine mods beef up your suspension. It sounds like you may have money, and since some nordic guys are coming to to Nicks in 3 weeks, call Nick, have him order a turbo and such, drive up and have a custom tune done.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Hey if you want to start with a shell of a ng900 3door I have one.

^CLICK ME^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
pipe dream

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in