Shipment from GS - hear my yawp! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Cool Shipment from GS - hear my yawp!

Received boxes 2 & 3 (out of 3) from GS today.
22mm ARB w/ Hardware
6pt. Subframe spider (no hardware yet)

Awaiting the last HEAVY box with the Koni bundle, Rack Brace, and the rest of the look-good bits.
Finally, time to tighten up the 'vert 235R.
It's going to be a Sweet month of installation & callibration, for sure.
Heh, heh, heh. Muwaaaaaahahahahaha!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Route246; 01-14-2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Added evil snicker and yawp.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Congrats on the box of goodies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:26 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Excellent.

I need a set of Konis on my 900.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
Elder

You only need the rivet for the passenger side!

Don't drill the hole out too big, 1/2" is TOO LARGE.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
You only need the rivet for the passenger side!
Don't drill the hole out too big, 1/2" is TOO LARGE.
Champ, you're speaking of the 6-pt harness; am I correct?
Thank you for the tip - I will make doubly sure NOT to drill too much (hide spinning drill...)

I was quite surprised at how SMALL and light the subframe harness was. From the pictures, it looks rather large. Partly because I don't have a lift, and I don't get to look at the underbelly of my car so often.

The ARB looks like it can be installed in a matter of minutes. The instructions were a bit of a puzzle, but GS has gracioulsy applied their logo decal on it to indicate the correct orientation. This install should be easy enough, even for me

I really need to get a good set of jacks stands, now.
I wonder how many Saabists, here, are blessed with ownership of a good hydraulic lift in thier garage? (the scissor or pentagraph type)

In the meanwhile, I'm doing curls with the ARB (it's heavy), as I watch the local weather news in the Seattle area. Ice + inexperienced drivers in their over-spec SUVs... It's better than "Disney on Ice", for sure.

Last edited by Route246; 01-15-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
A lot of people do comment on the lightness of the 6-pt, but Nick says that due to the angles it has very high rigidity specs.

The ARB is very easy. If you're at stock ride height, driving back onto 2x4's should give enough room to get under there.

Start putting lubricant on all of the hardware while you wait for the rest of the parts!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
Champ, you're speaking of the 6-pt harness; am I correct?
Thank you for the tip - I will make doubly sure NOT to drill too much (hide spinning drill...)
Yes.

I used a 1/2" bit which made the hole a bit too large so the rivet wouldn't hold which caused me to destroy it trying to tighten it. I had to get it cut out, then a nut welded in place ($$).

There should be 3 plate bars with nuts welded on, 2 bars with 2 nuts each for the front, and 1 bar with a single nut that goes in from the center of the car towards the driver side to get that back bolt. Rivet for the 6th bolt.

This should make sense once you start trying to install it.

The rear ARB I would spray down the old bolts (4 of them) with some PBBlaster or liquid wrench (penetrant) each night for several nights before you are going to try this.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

2x4s, Lube, Penetrant... Check!
Thank you for the hints - even Champ's explanation of the plate bars make great sense.I think I made the right choice to order from GS and to consult you fine blokes here, at Saablink.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Eh just go and snap the bolts of the RARB as you won't need to reuse them since there is hardware provided.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Eh just go and snap the bolts of the RARB
Sure, with my pinky.
No problem

Old 01-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Eh just go and snap the bolts of the RARB as you won't need to reuse them since there is hardware provided.
It's 100% easier if the bolts just come off.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Lol. Nick seemed to make short work on mine after we snapped the bolt heads off.........Then again he did grab a mallet to break the bar free from the rust to the rear axle beam.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:26 AM   #13
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
You just don't have to be nice to it. Yours Nahum was one of the more difficult ones in a while.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 01-16-2008, 05:33 AM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
You just don't have to be nice to it. Yours Nahum was one of the more difficult ones in a while.
Hahaha. Yes we can thank the state of Minnesota and there road department for the salt they put down each winter. Carfax showed thats where my car started out at.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #15
Avid TSL User

Got the final box last night.
No instructions for the open-ain filter. Pretty straight forward install, I presume? There is this part on the shield that is like a "tab" that is laser cut, but not bent out/in. Would any of you guys know what it's for? ...sorry - don't have pics at the moment.

All of the parts were neatly bagged, save for a few filter-mount screws and washers rolling around at the bottom of the box. No damage, all of the larger parts packed securely in the box. Even the decals & emblem were saran-wrapped to a piece of cardboard!

As Champ noted, there were three slide-in plates (total of 5 holes covered) and two rivets. I assume the one rivet is extra...?

All but the front suspension should be pretty DIY-able with minimal down-time. I am debating if I should do the front struts myself, or have the local indy (Scanwest) do them for me.

Now, to find the time to install all of the items - what a pleasant delimma.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

There is a thread here with pictures of the GS intake install, my pictures show what mounts to it.

Quote:
No instructions for the open-ain filter. Pretty straight forward install, I presume? There is this part on the shield that is like a "tab" that is laser cut, but not bent out/in. Would any of you guys know what it's for? ...sorry - don't have pics at the moment.

All of the parts were neatly bagged, save for a few filter-mount screws and washers rolling around at the bottom of the box. No damage, all of the larger parts packed securely in the box. Even the decals & emblem were saran-wrapped to a piece of cardboard!

As Champ noted, there were three slide-in plates (total of 5 holes covered) and two rivets. I assume the one rivet is extra...?

All but the front suspension should be pretty DIY-able with minimal down-time. I am debating if I should do the front struts myself, or have the local indy (Scanwest) do them for me.

The Internet is SRS BSNS.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #17
Elder

Quote:
It's pretty easy once you get into it. Reuse the 3 or 4 mounting screws from the old air box. One of them is kinda tricky to get at though. The tab is for some little part that sits up there, you'll figure it out once you start.

If I remember right, the MAF goes in rotated 180 degrees from stock.

Quote:
Yep in case you F up. I used both, the extra one ended up being welded in place instead of crushed. Try getting the rivet into the subframe without drilling out the (square) hole first. I wasn't able to on mine which is why I drilled it out.

Quote:

I hear the rears are easy, but I just paid around $350 to have a mechanic do them for me. (he did the rear ARB at the same time)

He told me the fronts took him a long time to do since the old ones were a bitch to get out. I was happy to spend the money to save a headache.

Last edited by Champ; 01-16-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #18
Avid TSL User

Steve,
I saw the pics - very clearly, too.
That's all I need. Thanks!!! Did you paint the shield? Looks pretty neat.
We need to meet up at the next SCS event. XXX next month?

Champ,
MAF rotated 180 - check.
I'll look into the front suspension - I just might try it to get to know my car a little better
Something tells me, though, that I will be calling the indy...

Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #19
Elder

Pics James!

Steve - see ya next month. And nice sig... but I would recommend changing the license plate to "NO JOKE"

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:32 AM   #20
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
Pics James!
Joe,
Here you go - have at it: http://picasaweb.google.com/route246...ey=cnBnu-KnrgE

I'm pleased to report that the Intake and the Rack brace installation was relatively straight forward, thanks to the guidance from you all. Both the intake and brace went in, in one sitting, in less than an hour.

Took her for a spin, and I now see why people say that this is the first and foremost modification that needs to be applied. Flogged the go-pedal on a hill, and the floppy vert just goes STRAIGHT. I can almost take my hand off of the steering wheel. Wow, what blast not not have to worry about wrestling with the car during take-off.

The intake is quite the heavy breather! I can even hear the recirc. valve. Sounds an awful lot like the atmospheric BOV that I had in my '93 c900t, but less deafning.

There is a very curious, faint, fast ticking sound that started up after the modifications. It goes away during accel. Need to figure out what it is, because I know it's going to drive me mad. Can't hear it with the bonnet open and the motor running - the sound is much more evident inside the car with the windows closed.

More pics to follow, as the installation fest continues.

Last edited by Route246; 01-17-2008 at 01:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in