High flow exhaust header installed - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2004, 09:45 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

High flow exhaust header installed

Hey, not sure if you guys saw my post on that "other" board that is mostly interested in C900 stuff, but I have installed the custom stainless exhaust headers I got from SQR recently and I can't wait to get this thing up and running. Besides looking great, it should flow really well.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2004, 10:07 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

S-W-E-E-T !!!

How much?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:25 AM   #3
Trollerator
Elder

BLING BLING!
everytime I come around your city
BLING BLING!
exhuast header worth a million-fifty

BLING BLING!
everytime I customize a Saab
BLING BLING!
some sick mods, to make your jaws drop

I could not resist I am in one of those silly moods today.

Looks really nice!. all that chrome... or is that jet-hot coated?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan

Old 11-24-2004, 10:36 AM   #4
SAAB Road Master

Thats a polished stainless steal header baby! The valve cover is polished aluminum. All that polish makes the wind slip by like a knife through buttah!

Just kidding, but I think it makes for a real clean look.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:40 AM   #5
Trollerator
Elder

it is certainly sharp!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 11-24-2004, 11:27 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinY
Thats a polished stainless steal header baby! The valve cover is polished aluminum. All that polish makes the wind slip by like a knife through buttah!

Just kidding, but I think it makes for a real clean look.
Yeah - I think that's what my body guy is doing to my VC as well - the polished Alluminum - wish I could get it chromed... :P

Looks fucking awesome - no BS - that thing means business - Nordic better watch out!
for your repair needs
Old 11-24-2004, 12:00 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
that is so tight....SQR selling those...?

looks pretty solid, from what I can make out of it... Hard to tell that the runners are even ...but looks like it will spill some pretty effective exhaust on that monster turbo I'm sure your considering by now..

Maybe this is the answer for those of us pushing up past 300hp, and made thick to help resist cracking. Looks like it will also help balance temps across all 4 better....and in stainless too that is so NIIIIIIICe.

Man, all you seem to do is work on CF, and this mystery ride ...., Looks like your setting a new standard for us to follow.., and sounds like it will be awesome..
Old 11-27-2004, 01:34 AM   #8
SAAB Road Master

Before you get it up and running, Eastwood makes a clear-coat kit for aluminum that would keep the valvecover from getting all oxidized looking.

It makes it stay mirror-polished permanently, and you never have to re-polish to get the clean look, just wash it off.

Here's a link: http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...r+Coat+Barrier

Eastwood also makes a polishing kit for anyone else interested in doing the same in the future: http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...ProductID=1000

Sweet stuff. I take it you decided against the twin-scroll option. Still though, the headers look good.

Stainless steel doesn't need a ceramic coating since it only conducts 1/10 or so the heat of mild steel, and even less compared to cast iron of similar thickness. Also if it's 304 or 321 stainless, coating the outside only would over-heat the metal. (321 has a rated service temp in air of 1652F, so it needs to be able to shed heat into the outside-air if the EGT goes above that, which it will even on many stock Trionic Saabs.) You could coat inside and outside, but most companies reccomend against that since the coating could come off and chew up the turbine.

Sorry for long post. Can't wait to see pictures/videos of this thing runnin'!

Adrian~
Old 11-27-2004, 01:23 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Is this a custom part, or something SQR stocks for us underlings?

And how much would us mere mortals pay for such bueaty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 11-27-2004, 01:34 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Those headers look amazing. Very nice.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:04 PM   #11
Elder

Kevin nice job, keep up the work.

Do you have some info on the headers? Would it be possible to call SQR and ask for the same thing done? Or is this just something that they did for your project and they don't usually offer this service?

What BOV are you going to be using and Wastgate> <<<Tial>>??

Also with the picture I posted from your site below, are you having your pulleys wheels machined? Do you have a company that does this; I would be interested for the same thing.

Anyway the car is looking awesome.

Old 11-29-2004, 01:13 AM   #12
SAAB Road Master

While Frank (SQR) did make this up custom for me, I believe you can get the same through SpeedParts. As far as waste gate and BOV, both are going to be HKS. You can actually get the machined pullies through a place in NC, but I cannot remember the name now. I will get back to you on that one.
Kevin
Old 11-29-2004, 06:32 AM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

what size external gate is that going to be.. i like the flange comin off the side.... and also are u going to dump waste gate to atmosphere or re route it into the exhaust
Old 11-29-2004, 09:31 AM   #14
SAAB Road Master

40mm - re-route into down pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in