b234 ???'s - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
b234 ???'s

if im going to do my b234 swap do i need to do the whole motor or can i swap the crank, rods, pistons, etc...??? im thinking its time to do the swap seeing how my motor is refusing to run correctly changed oil, plugs, fuel filter, and ran complete fuel system cleaner in it and it sputters and hessitates... any ideas??
2002 viggen current

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
I am planning on the swap i think just cracked a piston in the ng.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #3

im thinking thats my problem too i might have a compression test ran on it some time this week to see for sure... i cant think of any other reasons for the poor idle and hesitaton...
2002 viggen current

Old 01-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
I cracked the #4 piston and the leak down test was 50%

^CLICK ME^
Old 01-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I'd say it depends on the condition of the 2.0 block in the car and the 2.3 you want to swap in. If the 2.3 is low miles I'd just do a full refresh (hg, timing chain, main seals, etc) and toss it in.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #6

well now you know your problem...
2002 viggen current

Old 01-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab4life93t View Post
if im going to do my b234 swap do i need to do the whole motor or can i swap the crank, rods, pistons, etc...??? im thinking its time to do the swap seeing how my motor is refusing to run correctly changed oil, plugs, fuel filter, and ran complete fuel system cleaner in it and it sputters and hessitates... any ideas??

All you need is the crank, rods and pistons from a 2.3 motor to make it work, the blocks are the same, you still need the timing cover and pulleys from you're ng900 set-up to make it work. The ng oil pan works a little better for the dp too.

I would do a compression test first before you condem the motor, a bad di can make it miss-fire, a leaking intake manifold gasket can cause an air leak, bad vacuum or boost lines can cause problems. Leaking tb o-ring can cause issues, bad coolant temp sensor can cause issues, bad bpv can cause issues. I would do a compression test first!

John
Old 01-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewz airflow se View Post
I cracked the #4 piston and the leak down test was 50%
I lost the #4 piston on my set-up as well, read 0 psi on compression test

To me it looks like #1 gets the most fuel, it always reads the richest on the plugs, then #2 a little less and by #4, it always reads the leanest. I have my w/m on full blast to compensate for this and I set it up so #4 reads just about right and #1 reads a little rich.

I have heard this before and I think its the design of the intake manifold because there was a guy running nitrous that said you had to run direct injection on the runners because if you tried to put a single nozzle in the delivery pipe, the #1 cyliner would get most of the nitrous and cause that cylinder to run way too hot with way too much pressure and crack the piston or bend the rods, hey kind of what Nick had happen...

To me this seems to be correct as my #1 cylinder seems to get more w/m than the other 3 cylinders....
John
Old 01-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #9

the 2.3 i have has about 171k and my 2.0 has about 120k... i do plan on doing a refresh either way...
2002 viggen current

Last edited by saab4life93t; 01-10-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
JZW
Elder

Yea, be smart, have the block checked out and honed by a machine shop and then put new piston rings and bearings in the motor. That along with a new timing chain and guides and you basically have a new motor for cheap!
Seals would be included of course...

It will require the "normal" break in process of course, good luck,

John
Old 01-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #11

thanks john...

im going to have daveship do my motor because i just dont have the time and he gave me a really good price
2002 viggen current

Old 01-11-2008, 04:41 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
If you want, I have a set of b234r piston heads I don't need. Problem will be trying to get somebody to seperate the rods and crank. If you want the piston tops, lemme know, I don't need them.

If you do get con rods seperately and you know for sure they are 94+ b234 con rods, post up the casting and part numbers in my thread in general perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 01-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
If you do get con rods seperately and you know for sure they are 94+ b234 con rods, post up the casting and part numbers in my thread in general perf.
are we talking after market rods here?? ive been looking for some for the b234 but they only list rods for the b235 on maptune's site... you know where i could find some??
2002 viggen current

Old 01-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
Elder

you don't need rods...and IMHO it is easier to do a full swap than try and change all the shit with the block in the car

Old 01-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #15

i dont plan doing it that way at all... and why wouldnt i need rods if im going to do the swap?? ive heard that the stock rods can only handle about 400 hp... i plan on more than that
2002 viggen current

Old 01-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #16
Elder

I think Terry is still on stock pistons/stock rods with his 9k and he drives that thing like he stole it.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:01 AM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
I think Terry is still on stock pistons/stock rods with his 9k and he drives that thing like he stole it.
stock pistons/stock rods 412 whp.

kaylans at what 476whp stock pistons stock rods?

get je's and call it a day.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #18

geeeze you both are up early... yeah im looking to get about what kaylans getting... didnt nicks nira car bend a rod?? whats the power in that thing???
2002 viggen current

Old 01-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
If you want, I have a set of b234r piston heads I don't need. Problem will be trying to get somebody to seperate the rods and crank. If you want the piston tops, lemme know, I don't need them.

ill think about it tweek how much $$$ we talking??
2002 viggen current

Old 01-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab4life93t View Post
geeeze you both are up early... yeah im looking to get about what kaylans getting... didnt nicks nira car bend a rod?? whats the power in that thing???
Late night...I didn't go to bed till 4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in