stage 4 intercooler? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
TSLMember

stage 4 intercooler?

I'm going to get a satge 4 tune and for that I will need an upgraded intercooler. I was thinking about getting an MP intercooler but I dont know if I will need something bigger than the MP. What do you guys think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Any of the drop in units from MP, Forge, ETS, or Jak's will do the job of stage 4 and up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Elder

Go to ebay and type in MP intercooler. They are 300 + shipping on there instead of 400 on the MP site.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
Go to ebay and type in MP intercooler. They are 300 + shipping on there instead of 400 on the MP site.
plus they went out of business to my knowledge so you can only get them on ebay anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Saab-...spagenameZWDVW

Old 01-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
plus they went out of business to my knowledge so you can only get them on ebay anyway.
my thoughts exactly...
2002 viggen current

Old 01-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab4life93t View Post
my thoughts exactly...
This is true. I was talking to mkimatt on there and he said they were trying to get rid of everything. I just installed mine about a week ago and am liking it so far. Just going step by step trying to get all harware necessary for a stage 4 tune... and it's a direct bolt-on, no custom fabbing for me, at least.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slspf2 View Post
This is true. I was talking to mkimatt on there and he said they were trying to get rid of everything. I just installed mine about a week ago and am liking it so far. Just going step by step trying to get all harware necessary for a stage 4 tune... and it's a direct bolt-on, no custom fabbing for me, at least.

even the hoses from the turbo as well?

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 01-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

i have a stg4 set up w/viggen intercooler. how much more would i gain with this and a 3inch exhaust. iv got a plentfull 240whp n 288trq, i didnt think theres was much more to get outta this set up, so i guess would the IC even matter much?
GS stuff
oil leak
Old 01-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #10
Elder

yes the vig ic heatsoaks almost immediatly on that setup. it would hold your power a hell of a lot longer.

and do you mean catback, cuz i hope you already have the downpipe...

Old 01-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #11
JZW
Elder

Put one of mine on there and you will do much better

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intercooler.jpg11.JPG (19.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #12

yes, i have the 3inch down pipe...but i was thinking catless would help a bit too

john how much was your ic?
GS stuff
oil leak
Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #13
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarl View Post
i have a stg4 set up w/viggen intercooler. how much more would i gain with this and a 3inch exhaust. iv got a plentfull 240whp n 288trq, i didnt think theres was much more to get outta this set up, so i guess would the IC even matter much?
do you have a nordic stage 4 sw? because I know SQR and JSP require an upgraded intercooler and a full 3" exhaust for their stage 4 sw
Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #14

look at my sig.....paul at sqr said id be fine with a viggen ic, and i have a saab sport cat back....

no one really answerd my question about the power gains though. i know it wouldnt hurt but id like to know what id be getting befor i through down another $300 bucks for my set up.....
GS stuff
oil leak
Old 01-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #15
Elder

an intercooler never adds power, it just keeps you from loosig power to heat soak. which the vig cooler sucks at.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:19 AM   #16
JZW
Elder

Quote:
look at my sig.....paul at sqr said id be fine with a viggen ic, and i have a saab sport cat back....

no one really answerd my question about the power gains though. i know it wouldnt hurt but id like to know what id be getting befor i through down another $300 bucks for my set up.....
Even though it would be fine with a viggen ic, you will only get one wot pull out of it, maybe two! The bigger you're ic, the longer you will be able to have you're power! Its also safer in my opinion because the intake air charge is lower. Most say around a 10bhp gain is what you will get with a better larger ic. Its not the power gain that is important, its the ability to have that power longer! More than 1 gear before it dumps boost!

Viggen ic: 1-2 wot pulls.
Mp style ic : 3 pulls + or minus a pull.
Ets ic : 5 pulls, still going strong.
JSP ic: 5 pulls, still going strong.
Forge ic: no experience, but its less than the ets or jsp from what I hear.

The better you're hw, the better you're sw will perform Period!

Plus if you decide to go up to a stage 4,5,6, you have the ic to support some of that

If you only get on it once in a whilel and for one wot pull in one gear, viggen ic is fine. If you like to rip through at least 2-3 gears, second, third and fourth, mp size is fine. If you want to go through first, second, third, fourth and 5th and then slow down and blast through some more gears, a JSP or ETS size core is what you want and if you race it on the track, an even larger one would work well or combine it with w/m injection like I did, its a chemical ic and needs no airflow to work Good Luck,

John
Old 01-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Quote:
240whp? What other mods are you running other than the stage 4 tune, 3", and Viggen intercooler? TD04? Those are pretty good numbers.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
Put one of mine on there and you will do much better

John
Damn that core looks almost identical to mine, size-wise...but your ability to drop in over my custom routing will cost me a little but it should still get the job done hopefully; just need to find the best way for the layout...
Old 01-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
240whp? What other mods are you running other than the stage 4 tune, 3", and Viggen intercooler? TD04? Those are pretty good numbers.
sqr stg 4 tune, td04, viggen ic, gs intake, gs 3" down pipe, and saab sport single resinator cat back.
GS stuff
oil leak
Old 01-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #20
Elder

Oh, ok...
For a minute there I thought you were about to tell me that you still had a T25. Got my hopes up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in