Ignition Alternatives - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Ignition Alternatives

Does anyone know of feasible alternatives to the Saab Trionic 5 Ignition Control System and DI cassette setup?....perhaps something to replace the use of the DI cassette altogether? I'm getting ready to replace a bad DI, and was just wondering if there is an affordable aftermarket alternative that might offer better performance, as opposed to just replacing the cassette as normal maintenance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Nope. The DI is a very well engineered system that handles knock monitoring along with the ignition.

I can't say this for certainty but since GM bought into saab back when DI first came out I'm willing to bet that GM's coil on plug was a simplified version. However you can't use it in place of the DI.

Yet in the fashion of Paul and Jeff..........if you were really into this type of project you could run megasquirt and go back to a distributor system if you wanted. Would require much more work but you could do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Elder

nira + t7 di (hardly cost efficient though)

Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

The DI has ALOT of spark power, in fact more the quit many of the after market systems, so you wont find any gains with that... The DI is also used to sync the engine since it does not have a cam pos sensor and therefore it cannot be replaced if you keep the Trionic intact, but if you dont there are plenty of options but with a price bit more than a replacement DI runs for.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Ok. Good to know. I have heard the ionization method is used to measure spark rate and timing across each plug. I imagine it is more accurate than a cam position sensor. Thanks much for the information!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedmayhem View Post
Ok. Good to know. I have heard the ionization method is used to measure spark rate and timing across each plug. I imagine it is more accurate than a cam position sensor. Thanks much for the information!
Yup but more involved than that. Basically the DI uses ionnization readings post ignition to determine if knock has occured. Then based off the readings it will adjust each cylinder individually for timing and spark. It will also tell the ECU to pull back boost if needed after it pulls out all the timing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

Very cool. Are there any methods of interfacing with the ECU for re-programming aside from buying chip upgrades?
Old 01-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #8

Quote:
I imagine it is more accurate than a cam position sensor!
The cam pos signal is just a reference and very little to do with accuracy, then main angle signal comes from crank shaft pos sensor, which later is used for ignition timing.

The reference is needed because from crank signal only you cannot determine phase diffrence between 1st and 4th cylider or 2 and 3. From DI's combustion signals the ECU gets the needed info via a start up sequence (both cyliders fired at same time) and therefore a traditional cam pos sensor is not needed.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Very cool. Are there any methods of interfacing with the ECU for re-programming aside from buying chip upgrades?
www.ecuproject.com
Old 01-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

Cool. I haven't signed up for it, but can you mod the ECU via the OBD port or is there a specific interface for reprogramming?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

i wanted to know that to, how do you get the data from the ecu to the site?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny72888 View Post
i wanted to know that to, how do you get the data from the ecu to the site?
I haven't followed that project in a while, but I seem to recall that you have to build an interface adapter to plug in to the ECU itself.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 01-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

Very cool. I'd be interested in trying the interface just for the sake of a learning project. It's probably not all that difficult. Does anyone have any additional information on this?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #14

so you would have to make something that would go from the ecu to obd2 to usb?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #15
a12

I believe there are a few individuals working on using the OBD port for tuning but nothing as of yet.
You have to take your computer out of it's casing, solder a connector to the board and use an interface unit with applicable software to get the info out of the ecu.
More info can be found as previously stated:

www.ecuproject.com
Old 01-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #16
Avid TSL User

That's a pretty nice ride you have. I wish my 9 was up to par with that. I'm going to dive into the ECU tuning information, and will post as I make progress. Thanks again for the link.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in