Lowering a Viggen post your pics and set up. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Lowering a Viggen post your pics and set up.

Well my 02 Viggen rides very comfortable, The suspension seems to be in great shape. But I am wondering if I can lower it a bit without changing the ride comfort. Does any one know which springs can pare with the stock shocks to just gain a drop without changing ride comfort? and if so how much drop should i expect. photos will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

Short answer = no. If you really like the way it rides, leave it as is. shorter springs = stiffer rate.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
I beg to differ. My 9-5 had a fair amount of body roll but I really liked the way it used to ride while cruising on the highway.

I love it so much more being lowered and on good struts and springs. It makes a world of difference. In fact, I prefer it more now than I used to, even though you feel more of every bump while cruising on the highway (though that could just be having the koni's on almost full firm )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
IMO, viggens are too low already... at least for their bumpers
Old 12-30-2007, 11:05 AM   #5

The viggens are not as low as they should be to my taste. I agree with the bumper Issue, but a careful driver should be OK.I just feel that a car can use an inch drop all around. So is any one going to post pics of their cars lowered? Alos please make sure to your list suspension set up. that would realy help. Also feel free to address any spring height setlling issues, any ride issues, etc. Thanks
Thanks
Old 12-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
IMO, viggens are too low already... at least for offroading purposes.

fixed.

as far as lowering and mantaining ride comfort, i'd think you'll need the full koni setup.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
lms

I have a 2002 Viggen as well. Yes, most cars ride like hell when lowered, but in my case and many others eibach springs and koni adjustable shocks make the car (viggen) ride much better. You can dial the shocks in so the ride is actually softer then the stock viggen ride.
The full koni setup has vogtland springs and is lower then eibach. I can not comment on those springs. But I have heard that these springs are a tad lower in the rear???
Old 12-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
I have a 2002 Viggen as well. Yes, most cars ride like hell when lowered, but in my case and many others eibach springs and koni adjustable shocks make the car (viggen) ride much better. You can dial the shocks in so the ride is actually softer then the stock viggen ride.
The full koni setup has vogtland springs and is lower then eibach. I can not comment on those springs. But I have heard that these springs are a tad lower in the rear???
Thanks. Ohhh Vogtland are koni springs, is that right? Do you have photos of your ride with your set up?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
IMO, viggens are too low already... at least for their bumpers
I've scraped less post-koni than pre-koni. The bumper sits about the same if not a little higher - since the back of the car drops so much.

900Aero, the koni kit rides better than stock with less body roll so...

Sorry for the monster photos!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Champ; 12-30-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
I've scraped less post-koni than pre-koni. The bumper sits about the same if not a little higher - since the back of the car drops so much.

900Aero, the koni kit rides better than stock with less body roll so...

Sorry for the monster photos!

Thanks for the pics, and the words.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:11 AM   #11
gm

I also have the koni kit on my 2K viggen & it DOES ride better then stock! The car feels better balanced & can soak up bumps MUCH better then before.

Using OEM viggen shocks on aftermarket springs I would think would be a VERY bad decision. You would be better off using the viggen springs & koni shocks then keeping the viggen shocks & using aftermarket springs.

With the nose issues, I also seem to scrape less now then I did before the car was lowered. I have always been cautios & am use to breaking fog-lights on C900's But it does seem that the way the car sits now with the back end not being up so high the front doesn't scrape nearly as much.

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 12-31-2007, 06:26 AM   #12

so I guess it's Koni Koni Koni. I would love to see some more pics of cars with Koni Kit set up. I have seen a few and the height seems always different. Of course that maybe because some had the springs on for longer than others. But if anyone has final photos of their cars with Koni kit and everything is settled then please post pics.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 11:43 AM   #13
SAAB Road Master

On the girlfriends comp so I can't post the pictures, though if you search you can find them. I have the adjustable konis front and rear with the afore mentioned springs. Once you play with the adjustments the ride can be pretty smooth. Though remember smoothness of ride is going to also be dependent on tire size. I have 18 inch ronals with 45 series tires on them and even at the softest level with the suspension the ride can be pretty harsh. The body roll is much improved though. Also any kind of sway bar or subframe brace helps nicely to tighten things up.

Hope this helps
Old 12-31-2007, 11:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUviggen View Post
On the girlfriends comp so I can't post the pictures, though if you search you can find them. I have the adjustable konis front and rear with the afore mentioned springs. Once you play with the adjustments the ride can be pretty smooth. Though remember smoothness of ride is going to also be dependent on tire size. I have 18 inch ronals with 45 series tires on them and even at the softest level with the suspension the ride can be pretty harsh. The body roll is much improved though. Also any kind of sway bar or subframe brace helps nicely to tighten things up.

Hope this helps
what is with the afore mentioned springs ? Koni or Vogtland??Or..?
Post pics when you can. Thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 01:40 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
900Aero, there is a show that will be coming up in May, Its called the Carlisle Import Nationals. You may be able to get a good idea there. Also, If you are any good at driving that viggen, Saabtoberfest is a good event too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 12-31-2007, 02:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
900Aero, there is a show that will be coming up in May, Its called the Carlisle Import Nationals. You may be able to get a good idea there. Also, If you are any good at driving that viggen, Saabtoberfest is a good event too.
Tweeks, Hello. ..... I mean Hello.. do you know who you are replying too. Think again... Yes... That's right.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #17
SAAB Road Master

This with the Konis struts and springs, I was trying to find a picture with them settled a bit more but couldn't...hope this helps though.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #18
sab
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Mine is not a Viggen, but a 2002 9-3 Aero (that came from the factory with the Viggen kit and 17" rims). It also has the full Viggen interior. You didn't get this model in the USA.

Suspension: Koni adjustables shockers and Koni Springs from GS. Poly control arm bushes.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #19
Trollerator
Elder

this is not a viggen, it's a 2002 SE... I had added a viggen kit and Koni Springs and shocks kit. it was plenty low for me, sometimes much too low. this angle makes it look like it's got more clearance than it really does. you could barely fit a jack under the front, and to get it on a lift, you had to jack up the front bumper first to be able to get the arms for the lift under the side skirts

now somebody else is driving around scraping up the front bumper. (and looking like a damn pimp too)

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in