Turboxs RFL Audi Adapter ?? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 09:50 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Turboxs RFL Audi Adapter ??

Just picked up a Turboxs BOV but cannot install it without the Audi adapter.
Does anyone know where i can get the 1.8T Audi adapter by itself?

They do have kits for like $40 bucks but i dont need all the extra vacum line, hose clamps, ties etc!!

Does someone have one laying around in their garage???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2004, 09:53 AM   #2
Elder

ebay is your friend

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-17-2004, 11:25 AM   #3
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Check TurboXs's website.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:23 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to saab4life
dasaabguy do you have a t7 or t5?

2000 9-3 SE HOT Nordic Tuning Stage 3+ ECU, Eibach Pro System Kit (shocks&springs), 17" BBS RK II W/ 235/40/17 sumitomo htrz II, KVR Cross Drilled Rotors, KVR Carbon Fiber Pads, MP Rear Sway Bar, MP Short Shifter, Abbott Racing Turbo Inlet Pipe, 3" DP from JT, 3" Sport cat, 2.5" custom cat back, Magnaflow Muffler & Ractive Tip, Cold Air Intake w/ k&n filter, Custom Intercooler, New Hyperboost HX BPV,

Old 11-22-2004, 07:18 AM   #5

I have the T5!
Old 11-29-2004, 07:05 AM   #6

I got my adapter from Boostparts last week and installed the valve. It does blow off pretty darn loud! However it has somewhat of a mumbled cough before it blows off! Im guessing it has something to do with spring tension in the valve? Does anyone know how many spacers to run on this valve? The guy sent me about 5 spacers with the valve.

The mumbled cough sound is hard to explain but its almost sounds as if the the air is struggling to get out of the valve....almost as if the hose/intake piping is shaking violently as it blows off!

Any ideas for a fix or does anyone know how many washers to install?
Old 11-29-2004, 08:58 AM   #7
SAAB Road Master

i am also running an rfl
by cough sound do you mean like a squeaking noise when it first blows?

it does not matter how many washers you install, the fewer washers the louder it'll be however, the sound won't be as crisp...the more washers you have it won't be quite as loud but the sound from the valve will be quite crisp
Old 11-29-2004, 09:34 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasaabguy
I got my adapter from Boostparts last week and installed the valve. It does blow off pretty darn loud! However it has somewhat of a mumbled cough before it blows off! Im guessing it has something to do with spring tension in the valve? Does anyone know how many spacers to run on this valve? The guy sent me about 5 spacers with the valve.

The mumbled cough sound is hard to explain but its almost sounds as if the the air is struggling to get out of the valve....almost as if the hose/intake piping is shaking violently as it blows off!

Any ideas for a fix or does anyone know how many washers to install?
I use the valve on my C900 T16 and I can only use 3 washers max on it or I get driveability issues with it. I get a little extra cough noise on mine as well but I believe it is just a little boost bleed from the valve when it is reaching critical mass pressure before blowing. And as for the rest of the noise I feel like I am driving a Skyline or something like that at times when I am driving my car since it is so loud (much like on Gran Turismo 3). Just remember that the less washers you install the less pressure it will hold thus blowing off sooner. Inset more washers and the car must build more pressure and depending on your setup this may cause some undesired results in your motor performance and longevity. I have a friend that blew a head gasket on his WRX using the RFL with 5 washers in it when it wouldnt open up at max boost (side note--- that how I got my valve for $40 bucks!!!!!!). So I would start with a 2 or 3 washer setup and play around with it from there.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:35 PM   #9

hmmmmm
reinstalled my turboxs valve and still get the mumbled cough sound!

I put 1 washer in it to see if it would go away......nope!

The sound resembles that of air coming out of a tube while somebody is shaking the tube really fast!!

Is this valve adjustable, i notice it has quite a few turns when opening it to add the washers. Is this a means of tuning the valve?

How are u guys doing with spacing, my BOV vacum barb comes right up to the front radiator support! As a matter of fact i have to tuck it under the radiator support to fit it!

Why dont they make things that work when u put them on!!! ha
Old 11-30-2004, 02:02 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
It is not really a means of tuning it but yes it will cause more and less resistance to it. As of today my C900 is in pieces again so once she is back together I will get you some pics of my instsall on my C900. It is not really too tight of a fit for mine. Have you checked all of your vacuum connections to the valve and around it???

Old 12-01-2004, 05:11 AM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
How are u guys doing with spacing, my BOV vacum barb comes right up to the front radiator support! As a matter of fact i have to tuck it under the radiator support to fit it!
i have a 9-3, my fitting is exactly like yours...TIGHT!....there's not much you can do about it, just try and tuck that valve under as best as possible
Old 12-01-2004, 07:12 AM   #12

Thats it! Im taking everything out of my car this weekend and dumping it

ok i wont be doing that but im going to take the BOV off along with all the hoses and the mbc+a !

I havent been able to hit fuel cutoff ever since i installed these things therefore this leads me to believe im not getting the full potential power from my engine or i have a faulty part somewhere.

This BOV is weird yesterday driving home from work it was blowing off nice .....pssssht! Today its back to its ol cough!

I will keep u guys updated on my findings!
Old 12-03-2004, 06:39 AM   #13

ok guys, i have used this BOV in many different variations such as with 2 washers, 1 washer, 1 washer with the valve halfway tightened.....etc....

I've notice a pattern, when the car is cold it gives me the mumbled air cough and after about 20 minutes of driving it blows off! Sometimes shifting from first to second it reverts back to the mumbled air cough.

Im starting to think something is up with one of my vacum lines or a faulty Dawes Device etc.....
Maybe not enough pressure is building up for blow off??
Old 12-03-2004, 07:40 AM   #14
Elder

Ok 1 washer should be blowing off with about 6 to 8psi of pressure or so at the most from what I have read on a other forums. 2 washers will be in the same range but with a crisper sharper snap to the noise. 3 washers is supposedly rated to around 10PSi or so and 4 and 5 are set to blow at 13.5+ psi. It sounds to me like you may have a small vacuum leak somewhere in your system. Do you have a boost gauge installed on your car yet? IF not now would be a great time to throw one on so you can see if you get boost flutter or low boost numbers in addition to seeing at what PSI the valve is blowing off.

http://www.hosetechniques.com --- Great place to get Silicone hose in any color!!

Old 12-03-2004, 02:23 PM   #15

ive been searching the net regarding BOV's and how they work!

I found a post on the TSN site stating 4 washers should withstand about 11psi boost?

Quote:
Chad and Nick make very valid points RE the use of these atmos. valves on LH equipped vehicles and we generally recommend employment of a high rate bypass valve.
We are a dealer for Turbo XS and have installed the atmos. valves onto early 900/9000 when the customer prefers this but we will always make them aware of the potential problems encountered.
You can greatly reduce the engine stalling symptoms by increasing the opening spring preload on the valve. With the XS valves, 4 shims will generally bring this preload to 11 psi (it will take 11 hg to open this valve) and this will allow for the valve to stay closed longer during throttle closure (manifold vac) and it will also provide a quicker return of the valve piston. Check your manifold vac. at idle and set the preload of the XS valve to about 3 psi under this #. Your engine should not stall but you may still see rich mixture symptoms (black smoke from exhaust) between shifts...this is the byproduct of the air venting to atmos. after your engine management is already delivering fuel for the air measured through the AMM.
Good Luck and best regards!,
GSK @ SWEDISH DYNAMICS, INC

Also been reading about spraying some sort of teflon spray into the BOV??
Old 12-03-2004, 04:23 PM   #16
Elder

That sounds about right on. The guys I have been talking to are all Subaru guys and they are seeing 13.5 with 4+ shims.

Old 12-08-2004, 01:55 PM   #17

problem solved !

Yesterday i took off all the hosing and thoroughly inspected it!

I dont know which of the following fixed it but heres what i did!

- lubricated the valve really good with white lithium grease spray
- stretched both the MBC and BOV spring about .25!
- opened the actuator 1/4 turn

I occasionally get a cough coming from my cone air filter but the BOV blows off every time now is this normal?

Of course everytime you fix your problem you find something else that needs fixing! Just found out that my 2 front tires are worn in the insides tread! Great thats another couple hundred!
Old 12-08-2004, 02:06 PM   #18
Elder

It sounds likeyou are in the land of normal now. The slight cough is not something I would worry about too much. It seems that some SAAB's (My c900) seem to choke a little every now and then but it is nothing to worry about. Glad to hear that it is working like it should now!!

Old 12-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #19
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
I want to apologize for not seeing this thread earlier... as I had the same problem with mine.

I didn't realize what noise you were referring to originally, but after thinking about it, you had the same problem that most of us had with the RFL... IT GETS STUCK!! When this happens, it makes the odd noise your referring to and you may get a whistle under boost(due to the air escaping)

You solve the problem correctly by adding lubrication to the piston. I used a copper based Anti-Seize and it never got stuck again.

Once again I hope everything worked out for ya, and sorry for not seeing this sooner.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Old 12-09-2004, 07:12 AM   #20

Blaque you could of saved me many headaches and hours of laboring in the late hours of the day!

You know whats weird is that lots of people on this forum seem to be running this RFL bov but if you do searches on the net regarding this valve theres alot of negative feedback on the valve especially with it getting stuck!

Thanks for the feedback everyone this case is officially closed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in