SAS rear sway bar - bolts let go! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

SAS rear sway bar - bolts let go!

I was driving the car tonight, and heard a loud clang. Thought I ran over something. Didn't hear it again, so I went on my way. Arrived home and inspected around the suspension pieces in the rear and found the left rear sway bar bolts to be completely gone. Inspected the right side and found them to still be tight, and not corroded, as best I could tell.

So I reattached the bar on the left side with the original hardware pieces that came with the stock bar. Is there any reason to go out and get heavier hardware, or is the stock enough?

I suppose the hardware from Genuine Saab would work too.

This bar has been on without incident since, oh, probably 2003 and 75,000 miles ago. Lesson learned is to re-check the bolt torque periodically!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
Site Moderator

haha, the left side bolts on my GS 22 arb came loose last friday even WITH loctite after only 5mo/6000mi on the car!

i hand-tightened but they still came off in the last 3 miles before home. luckily the right side was tight, so when i got home i moved a bolt to the left side and went to the parts store...
Old 12-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
I'll have to check my GS rear sway.

When I installed it, I got tired of holding it up with one arm, while tightening the nuts with my other. My arm got tired holding it at that weird angle (and it is a heavy gauge bar). So I used Zip ties to loosely hold it in place so I just had to rotate it and tighten the nuts.

I never removed the zip ties, so if the nuts/bolts work their way loose, the zip ties will prevent the bar from falling off, and it will just swing off the axel.

You can see the zip ties here:

Old 12-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
Haha thats a great point. I gotta do that when mine goes on...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:46 AM   #5
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Should not be a problem if you use good grade-8 bolts 3/8" UNC x 1.5" long with a nylock nut and hardened washers.

You need to re-torque it after it beds in. This happens because the mounting tabs on the frame are almost always rusty and the washers bed into the powdercoat just a little.

JK I don't understand how the bolts could come loose. Those nylock nuts wont loosen.

Also tighter is not always better.. You want just enough preload to hold the part nicely while leaving enough of the bolts strength to handle the working loads.

Amish - cable ties are still second to the pile of toilet paper.. I forget who that was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #6
JK
Elder

My GS bar is still as snug as the day I put it on there. I second what Nick says about the nylock nuts, those should not come loose at all.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:09 AM   #7
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Amish - cable ties are still second to the pile of toilet paper.. I forget who that was.
Hah! I think it was Jameson?
Old 12-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #8
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
JK I don't understand how the bolts could come loose. Those nylock nuts wont loosen.
yeah i don't either. i'll just keep a close eye on it from now on. great product!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:07 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito View Post
I was driving the car tonight, and heard a loud clang. Thought I ran over something. Didn't hear it again, so I went on my way. Arrived home and inspected around the suspension pieces in the rear and found the left rear sway bar bolts to be completely gone. Inspected the right side and found them to still be tight, and not corroded, as best I could tell.

So I reattached the bar on the left side with the original hardware pieces that came with the stock bar. Is there any reason to go out and get heavier hardware, or is the stock enough?

I suppose the hardware from Genuine Saab would work too.

This bar has been on without incident since, oh, probably 2003 and 75,000 miles ago. Lesson learned is to re-check the bolt torque periodically!
Tito were you out on 146th street by the clay terrace mall in carmel around 8:30 tonight. I thought I saw your white 9-3.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:16 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

It's allways good measure to check these things at every oil change or at least evey 15k miles, or Maybe I'm just paranoid
Old 12-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Tito were you out on 146th street by the clay terrace mall in carmel around 8:30 tonight. I thought I saw your white 9-3.
No but I've been in and out of there a lot this holiday season!
Old 12-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito View Post
No but I've been in and out of there a lot this holiday season!
Wow glad I didn't pull a u-turn then lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in