is this correct?! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
TSLMember

is this correct?!

aero93 installed a helper spring on the wastegate and was wondering if he did it right? here are some pictorials

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
TSLMember

9 views and no one has the slightest clue if this is right or wrong......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Looks good and right to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
TSLMember

okay thats great ! thanks
Old 12-23-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
Elder

I second that it 'looks' as if it would be effective and 'right'. I've never installed one, nor read much about it so I'm not an expert on the subject. I suspect others were holding out for the same reason.

Was there a more specific question or problem with it?
Does it work?

Hey... Nice oil and coolant lines too btw... where did he source those?
Old 12-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
You'll know if its right or not by checking the base boost with a gauge!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
9 views?

Someones getting jumpy!

It looks right, but in my eyes a spring like that is a band-aid.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
If it's "right" is up to you to check... check the before and after base boost. if it's what you are shooting for then it's right. If it's still too low, you need it to be tighter. This should be pretty simple here!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #9
Elder

i never unederstood why some ecu's need this, and you cant just adjust your base boost higher.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:40 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
does it work??? if it does, than its right (enough)

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
i never unederstood why some ecu's need this, and you cant just adjust your base boost higher.
Its because of the limitations on the wastegate itself. There are many ways to put in a helper spring. It "looks" like a perfect way to do it, but its going to come down the to the spring resistance itself. When I did mine, I had a lot bigger spring strung from the wastegate to the upper left radiator support, it was huge and worked really well. Some of those smaller ones like that just dont offer the necessary resistance without being stretched to their max. Give it a go and see.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #12
Elder

well its only one or two tuners that use them and 1 or 2 dont thats what i dont get since they make the same power.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Chadwick
You're going to have to check your base boost, you're probably shooting for around 12psi or such baseboost. With my stage 5, my waste gate was too tired to handle the amount of exhaust gas the engine was flowing at high rpms and the pressures of it all, so it was forcing the wastegate open when it wasn't supposed to be opening. I used a clutch return spring set up basically the same was you did yours.

Take care,
-Chad
Old 12-24-2007, 01:31 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

need to get that turbo ported/polished, and upgrade that wastegate bro
Old 12-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #15
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to aero93
whats the upgrade? i thought the only upgrade was external wastegate and gs says that their forge wg isnt an upgrade just a nice looking replacement

Old 12-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #16
JK
Elder

Quote:
well its only one or two tuners that use them and 1 or 2 dont thats what i dont get since they make the same power.
It has nothing to do with the tunes, it has to do with the hardware, and getting the correct base boost. There are people who realize that this can be done in a method cheaper than buying: buying a forge acuator, taking apart the stock actuator, shortening the WG rod so much that you'll get boost creep.

And since one of these tuners is "copying/stealing" software as everyone has suggested (cough, sneeze, etc) it should be a moot point, right? Yeah.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #17
Elder

wow ok, it was a simple question since on 3 different tunes, including my 18t ive just had to adjust the rod, and had no issues.

stage 4 i ran 7psi and 18t i ran 9-10psi to help spool. never needed a spring, and that wastegate had 120k miles on it, and was rusted to hell.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #18
JK
Elder

I'm just dishing out a holiday helping of crap

No really though, I have had issues with T25 WGAs on multiple occasions. They just are not as robust as the MHI units.

I don't have any idea if jak recommends a WG helper for MHI turbos, or what, but I have had zero issues with mine running either a BPC or a MBC on my TD04, but on my old T25 I would blow the wastegate open at 15psi no matter what. I think the helper is just a way to get around that happening.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #19
TSLMember

those lines were custom made at a local shop called shako...
Old 12-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #20
JZW
Elder

Quote:
This issue is if you just shorten you're rod to achieve a higher base boost, you have also decresed the travel of the arm and that means the waste-gate can no longer go wide open if needed to save you're motor.

When you use a helper spring, you can get the higher base boost that you want to increase the boost and also keep the full travel of the waste-gate.

I personally had trouble with my waste-gate blowing open at 4500rpm with stock t25 actuator. I needed the helper spring to keep this from happening. I installed a helper spring to keep it from blowing open and to increase my boost a little bit. You're base boost directly effects how much boost you will spike to and hold.

With my gt3071 with 10psi of base boost I will spike to 25psi and hold 22psi to redline. With 14psi of base boost, I will spike to 28psi and hold 25psi to redline.

You have to be carfull though, with a stage 3 and helper spring, its possible to increase you're base boost too much and then the ecu is no longer in charge and you can get knox. I found 7-8psi to be about right for stage 3-5 and 9-10psi to be too much and it was dangerous and I went back down to 8psi with the helper spring. The helper spring is adjustable and it never changes the travel!

That set-up looks right, adjust it so that you're base boost is where you want it and you can shorten or lengthen the spring or bracket to achieve the right amount of base boost.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in