where did the boost go? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2007, 06:08 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

where did the boost go?

hey guys, today when i got in my car i was going to the bank and on the way home i gave the car some gas, i spiked to 21psi and then fell to 17 and held there... that has never happen before i can hold 21psi in the summer so it should be even better now. so i did it again and this time it was fluttering from 17 to 20 and then held at 17.
i have a stage 4 tuned car with all the hardware to back it up. im thinking mayb my ebay bov kicked the bucket. all test were in 3ed gear.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
Elder

t5/7? BOV tells me 5 but you know how that goes...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
t5/7? BOV tells me 5 but you know how that goes...
ya, sorry its a 1999 9-3 (t5)
TD04hl-15
20"x8"x3.5" FMIC w/ 2.5" hot side and 3" cold
Stage 4 23psi JSP
Stage 3+ SPEC clutch
Open Air Intake
Saab Sport Exhaust
Lightend flywheel
3in Down Pipe w/ race cat
22mm ARB
Greddy Type S BOV
Sport Brembo slotted rotors
Sport ceramic pads
6 point sub-frame brace
Stage 2 motor mount
Sport tranny mount V2
Steering rack brace
Full koni kit
oil catch can
New head gasket w/ high performance bolts

Old 12-22-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
How old is your bpc?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
How old is your bpc?
a year mayb
Old 12-22-2007, 07:36 AM   #6
SAAB Road Master

Hey Jonny, glad you made your way over here.
I was gonna say boost pressure control as well.
You can try cleaning it out with some WD-40 then compressed air.
If that doesn't work, Goldwing or if you're feeling spendy, eEuro...
Old 12-22-2007, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA 37 View Post
Hey Jonny, glad you made your way over here.
I was gonna say boost pressure control as well.
You can try cleaning it out with some WD-40 then compressed air.
If that doesn't work, Goldwing or if you're feeling spendy, eEuro...
you guys think thats what it could be? if so i have a spare i could put in just to try. so you think i could rule out the cheapo bov?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #8
Elder

when atleast the stock bovs go they make a hell of alot of noise so I'd assume others would too

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 12-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 132417SAAB View Post
when atleast the stock bovs go they make a hell of alot of noise so I'd assume others would too
i thought when bov went they didnt hold as much boost.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny72888 View Post
you guys think thats what it could be? if so i have a spare i could put in just to try. so you think i could rule out the cheapo bov?
It can be a number of things, like boost leaks on one of the ic clamps or the bpc, or a vacuum/boost line to the tb and I have had bpc's stick on me many, many times and have fixed them many times by cleaning with wd40 and blowing it out with compressed air, like shop air!

Its best to check the easy stuff first, check the bpc first and if that is not it, start looking at each ic clamp and hose to make sure the clamps are tight and the hoses have no cracks. Then look at you're vacuum and boost lines and then check the tb and make sure its not leaking, any hoses pop off the tb or the back side to the egr valve. I had all this happen with high boost and you have to start with the simple stuff and then go to the harder stuff.

One time it took me two weeks to find the issue and it was the small rubber T that splits the bpv to tb line to the gage. It had a very small slit in the black rubber T to gage, just enough to lose about 6psi of boost!

Good Luck,

John
Old 12-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
I'm saving for a Goldwing BPC for both my cars right now as the one I nabbed from my 9000 to use on the 9-3 is doing the same thing again as yours.

99 9-3 JSP stage 3 BTW.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
im willing to bet it might have something to do with ur greddy bov...
2002 viggen current

Old 12-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #13

well i got laid off for 2 weeks so im sure in that time ill find out what it is. it started right after i did the head gasket so i think it is a line to the TB. i think i replace all the vacc hose... should 12' be enough?
Old 12-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #14

ok, i cleanned out the bcv and nothing, im going to replace all the vacc. lines tomorrow and see where that gets me.

after taking a test drive today i might beable to explain it better, when the boost builds it goes to 21psi and then falls back to 17 and then will slowly buld to 19 (then i run out of room). im lost now.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #15

replaced all vacc lines and no change, im going to try and fiind a buddy with a bov and put iit on to see it that helps, if not i dont know.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #16
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

How are your plugs. Have you pulled them to checked the gap and condition?
Old 12-28-2007, 08:23 AM   #17
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny72888 View Post
replaced all vacc lines and no change, im going to try and fiind a buddy with a bov and put iit on to see it that helps, if not i dont know.
If you don't find one by Tuesday, I might be able to swing by. I have a good Bosch BPV and a Forge dump valve. Let me know.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #18

i think i got it, im just not sure what it was lol.
i cleaned the bcv, replaced all the vacc lines and tightend the intercooler clamps up, and replaced the spark plugs ( which were way out of gap). i think i fixed it, i have to wait til later when i take it out. ill let you guys know how it goes.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:06 AM   #19

im not sure if this was what was leaking boost but it is fixed. it spikes to 22psi then drops back to 19 then goes to 22-23 and holds.

that is the little rubber adapter that came in my boost guage kit, im sorry for the bad picture but there is a split where the plastic line from the guage would be and the rest of it is cracked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in