Poll, Carbon Fiber Hoods: NG900/9-3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a CF hood? What type? Cost?
$1000-1,200 for a legitimate lightweight all CF hood with stock mounting 16 41.03%
$800-$1000 for a legitimate lightweight all CF hood with no hardware (i.e. you supply hood-pins) 13 33.33%
$600-$800 for a CF skinned fiberglass hood with stock mounting (near weight of steel, looks like CF) 7 17.95%
$400-$600 for a CF skinned fiberglass hood with no hardware (i.e. you supply hood-pins) 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
Elder

Poll, Carbon Fiber Hoods: NG900/9-3

Trying to get an idea of the interest.

Please don't vote unless you have more than a mild inclination that you'd purchase a CF hood. Thanks!

Timeframe for production would be Q1 of 2008.

edit: Pricing is a best guess approximation. If you vote you're not obligated to buy in any way. But please don't vote if you have no intention of buying.

edit2: About pricing, me and the guy that would make these aren't trying to make a killing and we're not even trying to put food on the table. Depending upon demand and materials costs the pricing could be more or less than what I've written above.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 12-12-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
put me down for one for sure...
2002 viggen current

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

In my opinion the prices seem high. I can get full carbon fiber hoods for my other three cars in your carbon skinned fiberglass 400-600 dollar (lowest) category.
I realize your prices are only estimates but I'm just stating my opinion.
I'm interested in a full carbon fiber hood but not at those estimates. There can't be anything tricky about our hoods. They are pretty plain. We don't have any complex forms or vents to deal with.
If you do produce one at the listed $1,000-$1,200 range I would expect nothing less than perfection.
Again, my personal feelings. I certainly wish you luck.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
Things arent cheap when they are custom! mines a one off, its not perfect, and it has no sub frame but its still a really sweet hood and well worth the money I spend on it and the mold.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
Elder

I'm inclined to agree w/Heath. I've seen several honda/other japanese imports that are full CF (at least claim to be full CF) in the $450-600 range...

*edit*

probably wont stop me from buying one....
Old 12-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
I'm inclined to agree w/Heath. I've seen several honda/other japanese imports that are full CF (at least claim to be full CF) in the $450-600 range...
Thats because they are MASS produced!!

This is a completely different ball game guys!
Old 12-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post

*edit*

probably wont stop me from buying one....
the only true cf honda hood is made by spoon and cost upwards of 1500 bucks. every other one is fiberglass with one layer of cf thats the only reason they are so cheap.

id be down for a fiberglass core with cf skin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Elder

and yeah, i'd like to change my vote to fiberglass core w/cf skin.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
^Not quite true....nothing in carbon fiber can be mass-produced. No matter how you slice it, carbon fiber parts need to be hand-laid.

The difference is that there is a larger market for Honda parts, therefore supply increases to meet demand and prices go lower. Econ 101.

But I agree. Those prices seem high. There are several local kayak/guide boat builders in this area that will craft you a CF/Kevlar boat with wood trim and keel (I'm talking gorgeous craftsmanship in a 13' boat that weighs 25 lbs) for $1400-1600.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
Elder

Is this more of a look thing than performance?

Does anyone have weight of existing hood vs carbon fiber vs carbon overlay

Kaylan, did you by any chance weigh yours? (I know you have a 9k but it would still help qualify)

Seems like a cool thing and props to you.

Edit: if you want it for performance, you would be better off replacing heavy wheels with lighter ones, trimming weight helps, but trimming unsprung weight helps immensely with acceleration (both speeding up and slowing down) and handling.

Last edited by Topher; 12-12-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #11
sab
Flirting With TSL Addiction

does it include shipping to Australia?

thinking about it, it is probably too bulky to ship down under (not cost effective really)... oh well.

good luck with the manufacture tho!

sab

Old 12-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #12
Elder

It weighs only a few pounds but its just an awkward size. I should hold it while I step onto a scale to find out exactly. I will do that when my car is home. (tomorrow?)

Last edited by AeroDynamic; 12-12-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
Elder

Thanks for the feedback/input everyone.

I've estimated costs on the expensive side. 8Valve's right about the labor with hand layup, I don't know that anyone has really figured out how to effectively mass produce w/o a ton of manual labor, but there's really a big difference between the costs for materials to make 3-4 hoods compared to bulk purchasing enough to make 100+ hoods.

After we have an idea of the interest level we'll be able to narrow things down further.

You guys that voted for no hardware. Are you sure that you'd want a hood that you had to drill your own holes and use pins? What about hinges?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post

You guys that voted for no hardware. Are you sure that you'd want a hood that you had to drill your own holes and use pins? What about hinges?
Just a FYI for everyone.... drilling and CUTTING into your new shiney CF hood is not a fun thing to do. I was scared to death I was going to mess mine up. One little mistake could ruin the entire hood. Keep that in mind while voting.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

I've seen several carbon fiber hoods that weren't just covered fiberglass.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
I've seen several carbon fiber hoods that weren't just covered fiberglass.
great info!

the honda/import prices have also gone up in the past year, due to the govt and my military buying up stores of carbon fiber and kevlar weave cloth. many companies went into a scare of a shortage.

making a thin fiberglass core with 1-2 layers of CF and anough structure to be able to attach to the stock hood hinges would be the most economical/logical in my opinion.

drew - are you going through a company/manufaturer for this or a small shop? and just curious as to if there was mention of doing a dry vs. wet molding?

Last edited by saabkid37; 12-12-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #17
Elder

It's actually 2 molds, the top skin, and the underside bracing. 2 parts separate, then adheared/bonded together. Kevin did a good job making the molds.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDynamic View Post
Just a FYI for everyone.... drilling and CUTTING into your new shiney CF hood is not a fun thing to do. I was scared to death I was going to mess mine up. One little mistake could ruin the entire hood. Keep that in mind while voting.
VERY SCARY! took me 2 weeks to grow the balls to drill mine...
and i wish i had gotten cooler looking pins too.. like KMs...
i have the old school pins with cable ties..

PS: my CF hood with the sub-frame weighs exactly half of what the stock hood weighs..

also as for the hardware does that also refer to hood strut mounts? and latch?

mine has both.. but only one strut mount.. because the hood weighs so little..
Old 12-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaviggen View Post
VERY SCARY! took me 2 weeks to grow the balls to drill mine...
and i wish i had gotten cooler looking pins too.. like KMs...
i have the old school pins with cable ties..

PS: my CF hood with the sub-frame weighs exactly half of what the stock hood weighs..

also as for the hardware does that also refer to hood strut mounts? and latch?

mine has both.. but only one strut mount.. because the hood weighs so little..
Hey dood you can still put the ones on line mine... the hole cut outs are HUGE (like 3" by 1") so you can cut over the holes you already made... lemme know if you want to see some more pix. (drinkin on wed night! f yeah! )
Old 12-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #20
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
you make a good point drew... what is the time frame to make my decision??
2002 viggen current

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in