Short Shifter??? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Short Shifter???

Anyone know where i can get a short shifter kit for my '02 9-3 SE???
I'm tired of the "sloppy" stock feeling.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedish_02 View Post
Check out old threads...

But to save you the time, SaabSavior has one.

http://www.saabsavior.com/9-3_NG900.html

$200
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedish_02 View Post
A.) Re-align your shifter
B.) Do both GS motor and trans poly mount

That will take care of it. I've had a chance to experience the saab savior shifter and am not impressed. Yes its a short throw but at the cost of getting into 2nd is a pain in the ass and 3rd and 5th are so close together that you could easily money shift from 4th into 3rd while meaning to go into 5th.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Ahh okay, thanks a lot guys!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I have the genuine shifter & yea, everything is tight however that's not a bad thing!! It just takes a little time to get use to it then it's as easy to shift through the gears as stock.

The same with my SPG, the shorter throws are 10x's better.... just sucks the NG900/9-3's cannpo get as good of feel as the C900's do

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Elder

There's a DIY, takes a little while if you haven't removed your shift lever before.

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/2007...Short_Shifter/
Bookmark this site, it's got more information than you can imagine.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I have had the Saab Savior Short Shift kit installed for about 2 years now and have had 0 issues. The comments about difficulty of getting into 2nd above is not something I've experience and is probably do to a miss alignment of the shift linkage. I also have both GS Poly mounts. I absolutely love the shift kit and would recommend it to anyone...coming from a VW background, I've felt shift kits that are much closer than what the Saab Savior has....so my thought when I installed it that it wasn't close enough

x-VWer:

Old 12-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
I have had the Saab Savior Short Shift kit installed for about 2 years now and have had 0 issues. The comments about difficulty of getting into 2nd above is not something I've experience and is probably do to a miss alignment of the shift linkage. I also have both GS Poly mounts. I absolutely love the shift kit and would recommend it to anyone...coming from a VW background, I've felt shift kits that are much closer than what the Saab Savior has....so my thought when I installed it that it wasn't close enough
Not to try and discredit you but I tried the shifter out in the owner of saabsavior's car and in Nick's Viggen. I experienced the same in both and highly doubt both of those cars have misaligned shifters. Not a product I would like to have.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
Elder

the saabsavior is junk, i have seen 3 of them just snap. leaving the car undriveable.

the quality is not good.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Not to try and discredit you but I tried the shifter out in the owner of saabsavior's car and in Nick's Viggen. I experienced the same in both and highly doubt both of those cars have misaligned shifters. Not a product I would like to have.

Define difficulty you have....are you grinding gears or mis-shifting? Or is it just that it feels "heavier"? I'd agree a bit with the latter, but I've never experience mis-shifts or gear grinding. By definition on a solid shift linkage,i.e. non-cable, will result in a heavier shift when the linkage is modified to shorten the throw.....this was true for every A1, A2 or A3 (non-VR6) VW I've ever driven with a short shift kit. Just build up those GUNS my man!

x-VWer:

Old 12-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
the saabsavior is junk, i have seen 3 of them just snap. leaving the car undriveable.

the quality is not good.

Where did they "snap"? SS kit only changes the position of the shift fulcrum by raising the 'ball'...even if on of the rivets broke, you'd still be able to drive the car.

x-VWer:

Old 12-13-2007, 06:46 PM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
Define difficulty you have....are you grinding gears or mis-shifting? Or is it just that it feels "heavier"? I'd agree a bit with the latter, but I've never experience mis-shifts or gear grinding. By definition on a solid shift linkage,i.e. non-cable, will result in a heavier shift when the linkage is modified to shorten the throw.....this was true for every A1, A2 or A3 (non-VR6) VW I've ever driven with a short shift kit. Just build up those GUNS my man!
I understand the force required to shift is going to increase greatly when you shorten the distance from the pivot point to the top of the shift knob but thats not the problem.

What I have experienced is that to get the car into 2nd requires a "J" swing motion with the curve off the "J" going back to the center of the car and then up slightly. I would have thought it a random coincidence when I tried it on John's car (think his name is John) from saab savior on there green ng900 (development car) but when I found the same thing happening on Nick's I knew I'd never want one. The second thing is the throw horizontal (x-axis looking down onto the shifter) throw distance between 3 and 5 is practically non-exsistent. It feels as if there is barely 1mm between where 3rd and 5th engages on both John and Nick's car. Yes you would get used to that eventually but one mistake whether your driving normal or spirited could result in a money shift and head work. Not a product I would buy or suggest.

After having Nick's engine mounts installed I've found that provided the increased precision of shifts and improved feedback you'd expect from a short shifter but the precision was in every gear. Not just 1st, 3rd, 4th, and R. I'll gladly stick with a longer throw but higher precision. Nick himself would have come out with a much more improved version of John's shifter in limited batches if he could find a design to meet the Taliferro standard of quality but he wasn't able to come up with a good one for the ng/og cars.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:51 AM   #13
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Actually I have not had time to get the design to the prototype stage.. I have a few ideas and rough sketches. Heck they are still working on the new offices / engine room.. PowderCoat is done though.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 12-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
I understand the force required to shift is going to increase greatly when you shorten the distance from the pivot point to the top of the shift knob but thats not the problem.

What I have experienced is that to get the car into 2nd requires a "J" swing motion with the curve off the "J" going back to the center of the car and then up slightly. I would have thought it a random coincidence when I tried it on John's car (think his name is John) from saab savior on there green ng900 (development car) but when I found the same thing happening on Nick's I knew I'd never want one. The second thing is the throw horizontal (x-axis looking down onto the shifter) throw distance between 3 and 5 is practically non-exsistent. It feels as if there is barely 1mm between where 3rd and 5th engages on both John and Nick's car. Yes you would get used to that eventually but one mistake whether your driving normal or spirited could result in a money shift and head work. Not a product I would buy or suggest.

After having Nick's engine mounts installed I've found that provided the increased precision of shifts and improved feedback you'd expect from a short shifter but the precision was in every gear. Not just 1st, 3rd, 4th, and R. I'll gladly stick with a longer throw but higher precision. Nick himself would have come out with a much more improved version of John's shifter in limited batches if he could find a design to meet the Taliferro standard of quality but he wasn't able to come up with a good one for the ng/og cars.

Interesting, I've had experienced neither of the issues you described above. My 1-to-2 is a perfect straight line that I can bang into gear with ease. And my 4-to-5, 4-to-3, and 2-to-3 have never had an issue with getting into the incorrect gear. Granted I've got both GS Poly Mounts, though started with only the tranny mount when I installed the shift kit, however neither config yielded an issue. Maybe I just got lucky, but I'd recommend the shift kit to anyone with full confidence

x-VWer:

Old 12-14-2007, 06:49 AM   #15
dip

Send a message via Skype™ to dip
Here's another take at Nahum's arguments. Take a close look at how the gearshift linkage works.

The forward motion (1->2, 3->4) pushes the gear selector shaft on the tranny in or out. The shaft has a set travel distance and you can easily shorten the throw by changing the fulcrum point of the shifter stalk. You make the bottom part of the shifter stalk longer (up to almost twice as long), so the same selector shaft travel would be achieved by a shorter travel of the opposite (upper) end of the shifter stalk.

However, the sideways motion of the shifter stalk translates into turning the selector shaft. And you cannot really shorten the throw there, because the angle has to be the same. Yes, the stick travel becomes slightly shorter because the upper part of the stalk is a bit shorter now, but the difference is negligible. It still has to be tilted at the same angle. So a shorter 3->5 distance should have little to do with the shifter itself. I do not recall this being a problem on the shifters I tried.

What's worse, since we just made the bottom part of the stalk longer, it now makes almost twice the distance when moved sideways. This leads into huge rubbing issues inside the housing. I had to trim mine quite a bit when the shifter was at its max adjustment setting. I wonder how well the SaabSavior housing clears the stalk travel. And it also makes the alignment trickier, because there's less margin for slack.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #16
TSLMember

go for it

you might want to start with the GS poly trans and engine mounts and then decide if you want the short shifter. I have to side with Perkj however. I had the old MP adjustable shifter, which I did not like and finally the Saab Savior (SS) unit. I have no issues with the SS unit, it works great and I can recommend it as well. It shifts just as easy as stock, it is well made and sturdy. The stock unit would be easier to break then this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in