tuning : what is this? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to aero93
tuning : what is this?

recomended by my tunner :add a helper spring & get your base boost up to 8-10PSI, what is a helper spring to the WG? and how do i set the boost to 8-10 psi base boost?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
The "helper spring" makes the WG open ONLY at the new higher PSI level. Thus you get more boost.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Elder

This is a sweet section, Tuning, not tunning. 1. Use search for: helper spring, it's been answered a million times before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
To find out what your base boost is before you do anything, hook up a boost gauge if you haven't already and unplug the bpc solenoid (which will be base boost only).

Old 12-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #5

okay thanks, where can you get the helper spring?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
Elder

Napa, Home Depot, Lowes, etc

Old 12-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #7

thanks mike

Old 12-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
To find out what your base boost is before you do anything, hook up a boost gauge if you haven't already and unplug the bpc solenoid (which will be base boost only).

Wow, thats alot easier than the accelerate up a hill with your foot on the brake nonsense thats described for the 9000s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 12-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
Elder

Well think about it...with the bpc unplugged the only thing regulating boost is the pressure on the wastegate actuator itself.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
I used a helper spring on my Stage 3 tune with the T25. Picked mine up at Home Depot for like $2.

When you install it, make sure that you reset the ECU. The manual increase in base boost without the ECU expecting it can cause some major over boosting. Its an easy precaution to take.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #11

im just worried i will do it wrong, i would much do it with someone who has had experiance or just pay someone to do it the right way for me.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Search on the forum using the search function. Somebody has put pictures of a wastegate helper spring setup at one point. You basically make an "L" bracket that bolts into place where the bolts that hold the wastegate on is located. You then hook one end of the spring to the other end of the "L" bracket and the other to the wastegate arm itself under the wastegate rod.

The big trick is making sure you don't have a spring that is way to stiff.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #13
Elder

Old 12-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #14
Elder

the springs gotta be beefy, Pedal return springs are the ones to use.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #15

do you change the spring inside? i did some searches and it also turned up im suposed to change the spring inside the actual wastegate actuator itself

Old 12-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #16
Elder

there are a million ways to do it.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero93 View Post
do you change the spring inside? i did some searches and it also turned up im suposed to change the spring inside the actual wastegate actuator itself
Thats if you don't do a helper spring. Helper spring is the easier route.

If you open the wastegate you have to get a special spring (I think Nick has them from Nordic but not 100% on that). Then you must open it very carefully which involves undoing the crimp. Problem is when you recrimp it you have to make sure its 100% sealed otherwise you'll have boost leaks which will lead to a non fully functioning wastegate. Not saying it can't be done as others have done it but I wouldn't.

Helper spring is the easier route and more sure fire route short of buying an upgraded wastegate like the Forge unit.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #18

oh okay i didnt understand that i thoght it was both not one or the other cool okay and the purpose of this helper spring is to ? prevent the wg from opening?

Old 12-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #19
JZW
Elder

Quote:
im just worried i will do it wrong, i would much do it with someone who has had experiance or just pay someone to do it the right way for me.
I ran a helper spring on my stage 3, 4 and 5. Its easy, just get the brake pedal return springs from advance auto, they come in a clear pack, maybe 4 of them in a pack and its 5 bucks. Pick the one that is close to 2mm in wire diameter.

All you do is put the hooked end around a small 90* bracket at the actuator by attaching the small metal bracket to one of the two screws that hold the actuator to the turbo bracket. I picked up a small 90* metal bracket at the hardware store, maybe 1" on each end of the 90* bracket.

Some people just wrap it around the threaded part of the bolt of the actuator itself and put the nut back on to hold it in place, then make your own hook or loop on the other end so it wraps around the waste-gate pin, or rod, its the part the actuator arm or connects to. Make the spring length so that you have to stretch the spring about 1/4" to attach it around the waste-gate pin or rod.

The nice thing is its adjustable! You can shorten or lenghten the spring to get the amount of base boost you want. You should have around 7-8psi, 9psi was a little too much for my car.

You need a boost gage to measure you're base boost.

The best part is it gives you more base boost without shortening the rod, which limits travel and can be bad as it cannot open the waste-gate fully if it needs to save you're motor!

Good Luck,

John
Old 12-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #20
JZW
Elder

Quote:
oh okay i didnt understand that i thoght it was both not one or the other cool okay and the purpose of this helper spring is to ? prevent the wg from opening?
Yup, the spring rate is how much tension it takes to open the waste-gate. They can blow open if you have a weak or under rated actuator for stage 3 performance.

Example: I run a 15psi actuator for my larger gt3071 turbo. If I unplug the bpc, I will get 15psi of base boost.... The spring in my large turbo actuator is rated at 15psi

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in