intercoolers - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to aero93
intercoolers

searched this topic but couldnt really find what i was looking for, how much more power would i get from a mp performance ic vs the viggen ic, on a stage 3 tune with stage 3+ hardware, anyone have maps of this ?

car-99 t5 9-3
hardware- jsp 3" dp, td04-15hl, viggen ic, viggen cat back
software- jsp stage 3 ecu
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
i think first off a td04 is stg.4
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Power - not a whole lot, the ability to hold more boost at cooler temps for longer periods of time however will be night and day.

And Saab 9-3 you can run a lower stage on a hardware setup for more power...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #4

yeah td04 is stage 4 and the only reason im not stage 4 is becasue i dont have full 3" turbo back i like the stock look and sound of the viggen exhaust and i think injectors are needed as well as a crushed fuel regulator?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #5

i seem to be getting different performance results and im not sure why im thinking its the ic, for instance some times it will boost strong and i will spin my tires at 40mph in 2nd and then ill drive normal and try to do the same again at the same rpm and speed and they wont, so im not sure what it is? possibilities its the ic ? leaking or just heat soaking or what?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #6

i know you can run lower why thou a DP is really all that is needed the stock exhaust flows well
Old 11-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #7

thats what i thought saab9-3usa so i just bought the stock viggen exhaust glad to see someone has similar sentiments
Old 11-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero93 View Post
searched this topic but couldnt really find what i was looking for, how much more power would i get from a mp performance ic vs the viggen ic, on a stage 3 tune with stage 3+ hardware, anyone have maps of this ?

car-99 t5 9-3
hardware- jsp 3" dp, td04-15hl, viggen ic, viggen cat back
software- jsp stage 3 ecu
I think this a common thing to have happen where the boost and power is not always consistant. I have played around with some different things and what I noticed was a larger ic helps, but also a lower t-stat helps some too and I have to say what helped the most besides a large ic was putting my cooling fan on a switch and running it all the time when I am doing performance driving.

By keeping the airflow across the ic and radiator, the intake air charge temps stay lower and this allows for more consistant boost levels.

The reason we do larger ic's is not so much for the hp gains, but the ability to have the boost and power available for a longer period of time or like you stated, having more consistancy. For me a viggen ic was good for 1-2 pulls and if I wind out second, its already heat-soaked and would pull boost immediately in third gear. With a mp ic size I could get maybe 3 wot pulls before that would happen and with my larger ets core I can get maybe 5 wot pulls before it heat-soaks.

W/M injection also works very well to lower intake air temps and I did notice much more consistant boost levels off the line or in traffic with my w/m system. Its a chemical ic that does not need airflow to work well!

John
Old 11-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #9

thanks alot jzw that helped aolt! , i wasnt sure if i was the only one getting varied performance, but would you recomend an upgrade to the mp from the viggen since im on a college limited budget lol or do you think i wont see much improvemnt ?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
You will definitely notice a difference.

I ran the stock ic on my 9000 Aero for about a year w/Stage 4, yeah its a bit different of a setup but same general principle applies. I noticed a big change when I went to the ets/g9 ic...mostly the car pulled harder, longer and the boost didn't taper back at all and heat soak all but disappeared.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #11

you will see imporovment with the mp over the viggen as the mp is better overall design and bigger.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
SAAB Road Master

A quick look at the intercooler options and I see a lot of pressure drop no matter what you have unless its a custom unit.The MP unit as well as both of the stock ones stink.If I was going to put a intercooler on one of these cars at this point I would put a precision turbo intercooler on the car.They are just as cheap as the MP unit and will kick the crap out of it in performance.

http://boostfactory.net/product_info...products_id=65

If I was going to build them as a batch I would get some garrett cores that match these specs and build custom tanks and brackets as to make this a true bolt on cooler.We could also use bell cores for these.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #13
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Really... On my Vig at 350whp I have .5psi drop between the compressor outlet and the intake manifold. Pretty decent to me seeing as the main restrictor is not the intercooler..

But I am sure your extensive testing will show the same.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 11-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Really... On my Vig at 350whp I have .5psi drop between the compressor outlet and the intake manifold. Pretty decent to me seeing as the main restrictor is not the intercooler..

But I am sure your extensive testing will show the same.
Are there any flow #s for the core for the MP cooler?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #15
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
I have some testing that I did here on the 4 main brands.. Only relative flow. I use a KJ on my car but have built higher hp cars with Forge and Ets too. The biggest difference was the abbott on Eds Monster.. It was almost like a stock one.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 11-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
This may not be exactly what you are looking for chuck but could give you a good idea:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=11
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...=pressure+drop

These are two good threads on SC.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:50 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Update: Chuck your PM inbox is to full! Time for a clean-up and stop being so damn popular
Old 11-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #18
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
This may not be exactly what you are looking for chuck but could give you a good idea:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=11
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...=pressure+drop

These are two good threads on SC.
Be very skeptical of people claiming intercooler efficiencys over 85%.Its usually BS.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
I have some testing that I did here on the 4 main brands.. Only relative flow. I use a KJ on my car but have built higher hp cars with Forge and Ets too. The biggest difference was the abbott on Eds Monster.. It was almost like a stock one.
How does the KJ work for you?

The normal K&J 9-3 core looks like this

and worked like this in a <400bhp GT3071 solution during a "short" 3rd gear pull (the blue curve)

i.e IC is complete inadequate for the solution and will not survive a single longer WOT pull without heat-soaking sevearly.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF!ChuckB View Post
Be very skeptical of people claiming intercooler efficiencys over 85%.Its usually BS.

I dont claim I measure all the datalogs are visible, or did you miss them?
Temp sensors have all been calibrated and they read correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in