How much Can the Automatic trans handle - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
TSLMember

How much Can the Automatic trans handle

Hi guys new to the forum here, Im not new to saabs though. I've been working on them for 8yrs now. I am the last generation of the true saab trained master techs.
I have the t-5 9-3 with the 4spd auto, i had upgraded to the t-7 water pump, tdo4 turbo due to having the stock turbo start to leak a lot of water. I also built a 3inch exhaust with a borla xr-1 muffler as a center pipe and the magnaflow as a rear muffler. I then went searching for a way to tune the trionic, and stumbled across this site. I'm looking at the SQR upgrade but wondering how well the auto will handle the power. Ive only replace a few of these trainings over the years, manely due to kids trying neutral drops, or lack of fluid changes. Any info,dyno graphs would be great!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Editor
Elder

Abduckted can chime in I'm sure... I am not sure about which transmission the 99 9-3 has, but his T7 9-3 was stage 4, and making some very decent power. What stage software are you thinking of getting?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
TSLMember

As much as the trans will hold
I'll have to pull my iris sheet to see if i have the same trans as a t-7 car. I wanna say the t-7 have a better final drive ratio then the t-5's. But i could be talking out my ass.

Last edited by Drifting-FB; 11-22-2007 at 02:02 PM.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I'd be interested myself. I want to have Automotion tune my sons '99 9-3, but I'm not sure whether to go stage 1,2 or 3. It all hinges on what the tranny can take and I don't want to screw it up.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 11-23-2007, 01:02 AM   #5
SAAB Road Master

I have had the stage 3+ Nordic from Genuinesaab for a little over a year now with no problems. The dyno graphs from my car are on Genuinesaab.com web site. It all depends on your driving habits. I wouldn't recommend WOT at low speeds(20-60mph) unless you like the hard kick down and spinning tires. It's abit hard on the tranny. LOL. I think more power would lead to questionable reliability with this tranny.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:52 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
i had a friend that had a 99 9-3 auto with a stage 3 setup from jak.

one of the guys i work with right now has an '01 9-3 auto with full 3" exhaust, td04, t5 cams, jak's huge intercooler and a stage 4 tune from jak. the car is deliciously fast and hasn't hiccuped at all so far. the car has over 130k on it.

i say go for it. his car is so much fun, no thought involved, just gas and go. 30mph kickdowns on dry pavement lead to spinning tires......70mph kickdowns on a wet highway lead to spinning tires and unintentional lane changes

also, welcome to the sight! i'm 22 and have been a tech at a saab dealer for 4 years now. i was mentored by a master tech who has been with the dealer for 27 years. all you master techs are just amazing and i have true respect for you.

you also might like to know that you're not the only mastertech here which i think is very cool!

stick around, i think you'll like it here!
Old 11-23-2007, 03:59 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
What is the T7 waterpump upgrade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 11-23-2007, 04:47 AM   #8
Trollerator
Elder

stage 3 or stage 3+ should be no problem with tranny fluid changes every 10K, and treating it well, not beating on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 11-23-2007, 08:03 AM   #9
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
We have done lots of the stage3 automatics. The t25s are not so durable since they are not exactly new anymore. You cant run stg3 soft with the td04. It will not react right and drive poorly. Nordic has a special software for these cars. It is very nice. They are pretty quick too. I don't see any problems unless your are taking it to the drag strip every weekend all weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 11-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
TSLMember

This car is just my a to b transportion, so no need to beat on it to bad. Just want enough power to move out of the way of traffic, and tow my bike with ease. I would like around 250whp.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #11
TSLMember

The waterpump was changed to the T-7 style to use the stock td04 coolant line out of pump, then i joined the old coolant line from the head to t7 line using AN fittings and braided stainless steal line.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #12
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting-FB View Post
This car is just my a to b transportion, so no need to beat on it to bad. Just want enough power to move out of the way of traffic, and tow my bike with ease. I would like around 250whp.
Interesting! I hope you keep this thread updated with your experiments/ findings.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:22 AM   #13
Elder

i know brewtides running a TD04 he got from me, with a viggen IC and JSP stg4.. dont think he has the 3 inch pipes yet though. aparently he can varify kickdown under 35 mph= massive wheelspin..
i kinda want an auto now
JP

Old 11-24-2007, 05:12 AM   #14
Trollerator
Elder

it's a fun car to have... especially on the highway and straigh lines...

you just stomp the gas and it keeps pulling harder and harder and HARDER, no letting off gas to shift, just keeps pulling.... :big grin:

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 11-24-2007, 06:16 AM   #15
Editor
Elder

I always liked the fact that there's no boost loss between shifts.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unkept View Post
same here

^CLICK ME^
Old 11-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #17
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unkept View Post
I bet the transmission doesn't like that as much as the driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in