Aftermarket speaker help - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Aftermarket speaker help

I am finally fed up with my stock speakers popping and need to replace them. I am going to keep my stock headunit because if i was going to replace it I would be putting a LCD in and can't afford that now. (all the money needs to go to the vert.) I am a huge audio guy being a DJing and am looking for the best bang for the buck. I am replacing all the speakers in the ng. Being that it is a SE i have speakers in the doors. So do you guys recommend any speakers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I really like my boston acustic set up, i have s35 in the front and s65 in the rear. They are really nice sound for not too much money. I found that the mids and highs with these speakers are unreal, but its really missing the lows. I enetually got 2 JL 12 inchs for the trunk and man that soundsystem sounds better than my dads 2k marc levinson system in his lexus.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Elder

I need something that thumps for the doors because those are the stock subs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^

Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to moose
i have alpine type s in the rear. the have better overall sound quality then the type r i feel and i spent alot of time listening to the two, and they get better highs. not to bad of a price either i think 200ish?

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
Elder

I am a huge alpine fan. I have all alpine in the vert.

^CLICK ME^
Old 11-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #6

Just my preferences

Boston Acoustics or Mb Quarts -Front 6.5"(6.5 Woofers+Tweeters+Crossovers) & Rear -5.5"/6.5". JL or Rockford Fosgates subs 2x-12". Eclipse Head unit with 13 band equalizer. Rockford amps. Shop around this sort of set-up can get very pricey. Just my preferences.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Polk Audion makes some killer components for the front doors, then some Alpine type S (if you dont mind mix and matching) 6x9's for the rears would sound pisser.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
Elder

What size are the door speakers and the dash speakers

^CLICK ME^
Old 11-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #9
SAABeginner

Dash: 3.5"
Door: 6.5"
Rear: 6x9"

Is replacing the rear speakers worth it? I was planning on getting a sub, but I really don't want to bother hooking up all the wiring to the battery and stock HU, so I'm hoping the rear speakers can produce some reasonable amount of bass with a pair of decent speakers. I have pioneers in the doors and they sound better than before, but honestly not by much.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

all these speakers listed so far are great, you did mention best bang for buck and pretty much all that were listed are pricey speakers but very good. to me ive always been pleased with blaupunkt's. best bang for buck in my opinion. very reasonably priced and in a previous car and now my saab very pleased with the audio quality of them. if you want bass you could always do a line level input converter for an amp and sub. only wire you gotta route from front is a power wire from battery. this is what i did and it sounds good.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #11

I replaced my stock speakers in my old 9-3 with Memphis Audio speakers. I was VERY happy with their performance. Also the price was really good.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #12
gm

Your best bet is to go listen to them. I personally do not like most of the products listed in this thread & obviously others swear by them. Go to a good stereo shop & listen to what they have.

I feel the infinity kappa line is the best bang for the buck. However if you want something that "thumps" in the doors I would not use them. Consider image dynamics for a 6.5 in door speaker, very beefy speaker & is suppose to be excellent for the money. However now that I think of it that will not thump either. You should probably get a rockford 6.5 or something similar. SQ is usually not a priority with their stuff so you should be able to get the thumping that you want.

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 11-21-2007, 02:16 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

I'm very happy with my Infinity Reference which have the closest to OEM impedance match for the existing amps. However, I could use a separate amp for the rears.
Robert
Old 11-21-2007, 06:32 AM   #14
Elder

too much bass in the doors will sound like shit. trust me.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:49 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to moose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
too much bass in the doors will sound like shit. trust me.
any you get the trim on the outside of the door vibrating.

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #16

Another thought, consider JBL's or even MTX's. Pretty good bang for the buck. Try and modify your 6x9's to 6.5 round. 6x9's are not really the best performing way to go. What ever you do, Components (Woofer,Tweeter,Crossovers) for front sound stage is highly recommended. As far as doors thumping, if you manage to box or enclose your front woofer speakers, then you might get that thump you're looking for otherwise a woofer alone with no enclosure will only give you a minute thump. PS Thump should come from your enclosed subs. 2x12"ers will give you plenty of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in